JUNE 22, 2020 - THE 'RENDOVA ISLAND' - A PARTY BOAT THAT STARTED IN CONEY ISLAND

A forum dedicated to posting links of FISHING NEWS gathered from various news sources along with MARITIME stories and images from the past.
Forum rules
Fishing News Links, along with Back in the Day Maritime Images will be placed here.

JUNE 22, 2020 - THE 'RENDOVA ISLAND' - A PARTY BOAT THAT STARTED IN CONEY ISLAND

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:26 pm

I like to thank Captain Nicky Cannisi for a history lesson here about a party boat from "Back in the Day" that originally sailed out of Coney Island. For those who are wondering about the Coney Island fishing fleet, there was a few fishing vessels that sailed out of Coney Island Creek, this vessel was owned by Nicky's dad, Joe.

As Captain Nicky told me, this vessel was originally a 'rum runner' that his dad had bought post WWII that sailed out of Coney Island. This party boat was the original 'MARY' and was purchased out of Montauk NY.

As Mel and Mike noted in Mike's Memorabilia, this vessel was built in 1930 in Brooklyn, NY as Captain Mattie Best's "MISCHIEF" who sailed out from Babylon, NY as their was no Captree State Park at that time. Years later she ended up in Captree with this image from the late 1970s when she was running charters out of the same location.

One of the neat historical facts about this vessel was that it was noted as a high powered vessel that originally had a big wind shield and had a 600 hp gas engine, and there was a very good reason why. Remember that we mentioned "rum runner," and that the speed was need to get away from the US Revenue Cutters which would stop, search, seize and a number of times, purposely sink these vessels right in sight of a shoreline.

I never knew of, or heard about this party/charter boat, but as Captain Nicky left off, "it was a very good boat."
EC NEWELL MAN

Re: JUNE 22, 2020 - THE 'RENDOVA ISLAND' - A PARTY BOAT THAT STARTED IN CONEY ISLAND

Postby SledZep01 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:55 pm

Wow, I did not know much of that.
What I do know is that there is a 99% chance I was on the boat when the picture was taken. And my Grandfather would be at the wheel.

So...
By 1967 I was 4years old and would fish with my Grandfather (The Captain) near every weekend (through the railing since I was only 4.)
At that time Henry Mott owned the boat. All of the wood you can see that is not painted was stained teak. He was meticulous! every wire had 2 backups already wired and waiting just in case. Every flat head screw faced the same way...
I kept fishing with my Grandfather every summer. Mostly the second half of April through the first half of September.
When the Lilacs bloom the Mackerel have arrived...
In the beginning we were docked on the outside with the Eddie B (before the II) and the Lady Anne.
By the time I was 12 I was first mate. and continued to work with him till I was probably 21. Then my younger brother took over.

The stories I could tell. Memories are flooding in...

Please, if anyone has, or can get any other pictures of the boat please post them here or let me know. I spent so much time on her but only have 1 other picture.
SledZep01

Re: JUNE 22, 2020 - THE 'RENDOVA ISLAND' - A PARTY BOAT THAT STARTED IN CONEY ISLAND

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:39 pm

Welcome SledZep01, and we have to thank Captain Nicky C. of the BLUE SEA for sending this over, and I can pass along that I did not know of this vessel.

I am definitely looking forward to a few stories myself as this is the only website that has mentioned this vessel, at least as far as I know.

I believe we are all looking forward to passing along a few stories....
EC NEWELL MAN

Postby SledZep01 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:09 am

IMG_20200102_102135_01.jpg

Thats me on the left with my older Brother. Front side of Captree. Year? I think I am 15ish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SledZep01

Postby SledZep01 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:16 am

image.png

This is the boat in the same place with my younger brother and a nice Blue. Year?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SledZep01

Postby SledZep01 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:45 am

OK here is a quick story.
Back in the day when they first started to charge for parking at Captree there just a simple wooden shack at the entrance to collect the money...
So we are out on a charter to celebrate a "Dad" for whatever reason. Was he supposed to be drinking? no. Was he? Yes, was he supposed to eating like a Gavone? and smoking cigars? no but of course he was...
Then it happens. Heart Attack! (The Sons believe) the race is on. My Grandfather (The Captain) is immediately racing us back to the dock. 911 is called via the radio, an ambulance will meet us at the emergency dock. I do whatever I can to try and make him comfortable. The 2 sons and the Father are arguing...
It is a Heart Attack!, No it's not... It is... etc
when we get to the dock we will be pressing up against the dock going forward and to the port side where the emergency dock will be (Near the Captree Spray) I have everyone and everything out of the way. The one Son goes in the ambulance, the other is squaring the bill quickly.
I am putting nets away up top, Standing on top of the cabin when I hear tires squealing. I look up in time to see the little parking cabin explode from the impact of the second son sliding out of control into it. He doesn't stop.
We then hear more sirens and see the brother pulled over just north of the draw bridge.
The father was fine, just some Agita. The second Son. the one in the crash was arrested.
The poor girl in the booth was taken to the hospital. She had a broken arm and cuts and bruises...

When the booth was rebuilt they put Jersey barriers around it for protection.

It was a hell of a day.
SledZep01

Return to FISHING NEWS LINKS & BACK IN THE DAY STORIES & MARITIME IMAGES