MAY 24, 2019 - A NY BIGHT INSIDER FISHING & MARITIME PICS STUFFED INTO THE EMAIL ROUND BIN: TIME TO PULL THEM OUT (THIS WILL BE CONTINUOUSLY UPDATED)

Sweet water fishing from panfish to musky. Freshwater fishing tackle, tips and techniques can be found here.

Re: MAY 24, 2019 - A NY BIGHT INSIDER FISHING & MARITIME PICS STUFFED INTO THE EMAIL ROUND BIN: TIME TO PULL THEM OUT (THIS WILL BE CONTINUOUSLY UPDATED)

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:13 am

Finally a break in the winter weather, though a little snotty in the morning before the winds settled down later in the day and it actually made it feel reasonable being outside in 30 degree weather. A few party boats from the Garden State did get out today for blackfish and caught some fish, and starting tonight there will be a few party boats going offshore for scup, pollock and cod. Hopefully the stable weather continues, as in calm and reasonable winds, and who knows if a special offshore fishing report will be coming in the following days....

Thanks to Captain Jimmy of the JAMES JOSEPH fleet who sent this pic over of his earlier boat the CAPT. JAMES. There is some interesting history behind this vessel, but in this pic taken in 1993 is a much younger Captain Jimmy, Timmy and Pat.

First, Captain Jimmy passed this along about the vessel:

* SPEEDY JR

* CAPT. JAMES from 1991 to 1996, then sold to 'POOKA'

* POOKA

* Massachusetts - Woods Hole doing boat tours

Captain Jimmy said that this boat caught more than its share of blackfish besides fishermen, and was unique that it was unusually quick for a 65' PRICE built boat as it could do 11.5 knots.

Now thanks to Mel D. of MEL's-PLACE who provided this information:

BUILT: Price 1965 - Its vessel documentation number is 299385.

 MISS SEA ISLE
 MISS SHELTER HAVEN
 MISS TOWNSEND'S INLET

 SPEEDY JR. (Capt. James 'SPEEDY' HUBERT)
 CAPT. JAMES (Capt. Jimmy Schneider)
^ POOKA (Charter boat in Babylon/Captree - Capt. Tim Andresen - Capt. Rob 'CAPTREE PRINCESS' father)
 SEA STAR
 dumpster

Further info:

The boat was built in 1965 by Linwood and Milford Price at Deltaville, VA as Captain Don Cramer's second boat named MISS SEA ISLE from Sea Isle City, NJ.

Note: Linwood Price had four boatyards. They were located on Fishing Bay and Moore Creek on the north shore of the Piankatank River in the southern part of Deltaville, VA, a third yard was on Jackson Creek in the Ruark section of Deltaville, and a fourth yard was on Broad Creek in the northern section of Deltaville. Since they closed at various times, I don't think there is any definitive way to know when the last Price boat was built or what it was named.

The boat then sailed as Captain Don Cramer's MISS SHELTER HAVEN from Stone Harbor, NJ. Captain Don moved from Sea Isle City to Stone Harbor, NJ and the boat was birthed behind the Shelter Haven Motel. (The motel owner offered a great deal on the slip but insisted that the boat be renamed to match the motel.)

It then sailed as Captain Joseph Sweatlock's MISS TOWNSEND'S INLET from Sea Isle City, NJ. The boat changed hands again to an unknown father and son team and wound up sitting high and dry in the yard at Yank Marine for a year. The hull planks dried out and it took quite an effort to get her to float again.

It then sailed as Captain Arnold "Speedy" Hubert's second boat named SPEEDY JR. from Captree, NY.

The boat last sailed as the SEA STAR from Woods Hole, MA for OceanQuest, a non-profit organization dedicated to hands-on marine field science. It appears the organization ceased operating in October 2014.

The vessel's documentation has long since expired and it has likely been demolished.

The last image is from when she was sailing out of Massachusetts...

In mentioning Captain Don Cramer, just a few years back I bought his life story of growing up in southern New Jersey and the party boat industry in that region. Also, this note from Mel, to wit:

"Don Cramer and his kin originally hailed from the New Gretna, NJ area. Back in the day, the folks in this area had the unusual local custom of using their middle names. Don's grandfather went by Arnold Cramer, but his real name was Daniel Arnold Cramer. Don's father went by Pratt Cramer, but his real name was Arnold Pratt Cramer. Don didn't follow this practice and his full name was Donald Pratt Cramer."

One thing that you come away from reading the book was not only his enjoyment in running his fishing boat, but his expedition dive trips and taking divers to a number of very noted wrecks, some of which he personally found. This is also mentioned in the last chapters with information about those wrecks.

The book itself is a little strange as the prose (grammar) makes one wonder if an editor was used, though I just found out that Jen Wilson was the ghost writer for Summer Place. The glue on the binding is of poor quality, and even in carefully turning each page, other pages would fall out and I ended up putting a big rubber band around the book to hold it together.

Anyway, in following up in picking up another copy, I saw this new price from Jeff Bezos bookstore, and the price went up 60 dollars in one day for a used copy - and as high as 440 dollars for an acceptable used copy! To think at the time, I picked up my copy for a little over 21 dollars....

ImageImage

In other party boat news which is going around, the CAPITOL PRINCESS in Freeport, has been sold to one of its previous owners and most likely relocating back down south. A hint, on who re-purchased the vessel.

Thanks to Mel D. in provide this boat provenance:

Vessel Name: CAPITOL PRINCESS
Federal Documentation Number: 908491
Built: 1986 by Gulf Craft at Patterson, LA as Mike Danon's CAPT. LOU VI from Freeport, NY
Service: Passenger (Inspected)
Hull Material: Aluminum
Documented Length: 62 feet
Documented Breadth: 22 feet
Documented Depth: 7 feet
Tonnage: 83 gross, 56 net
Propulsion: 1200 HP diesel reduction
Owner: CAPITOL PRINCESS INC, 3450 RIVERSIDE DR, New York, NY
Home Port: 85 Woodcleft Avenue, Freeport, NY

==> CAPT. LOU VI, Freeport, NY

==> CRYSTAL COAST LADY, Beaufort, NC

==> CAPITOL PRINCESS, Freeport, NY

==> 2022....

EC NEWELL MAN

Re: MAY 24, 2019 - A NY BIGHT INSIDER FISHING & MARITIME PICS STUFFED INTO THE EMAIL ROUND BIN: TIME TO PULL THEM OUT (THIS WILL BE CONTINUOUSLY UPDATED)

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:10 pm

So far the fishing report news has not been good as one of the guys I speak with was out on the CAPT. AL today and the day can be summed up as, "we went fishing" and I will leave it at that.

Great hearing from Captain Greg of the YANKEE CAPTS: https://yankeecapts.com/availability-at-a-glance/ who has been fishing despite the loss of a few trips due to the weather this month. He has been catching them up, and even with tight availability until the spring - do not hesitate to check with Alana in the office if you're looking to go fishing with Captain Greg this winter. By the way, some new custom deep drop jigs made for the YANKEE CAPTS. ..

Since a few guys will be doing winter reel projects, here is a reminder on what you can do to upgrade your PENN JIGMASTER to get the most fishing reel performance out of it.

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:12 pm

I waited until after 1200 hrs to update the fishing news, and the most worrisome of all is an extremely serious nor'easter building for this weekend with a low system registering 966 millibars that could cause up to two feet of snow from 'north of' NYC through Massachusetts.

This is a weather event we all fear as it bears down on our region starting sometime on late Friday afternoon and continuing through Saturday. At this time, it the forecast is of a 'bomb cyclone' weather event, or what in the past we used to call a blizzard.

You can follow MIKE's WEATHER PAGE: https://spaghettimodels.com/default.htm

Or ACCU WEATHER tweets: https://twitter.com/accuweather

Or the NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE: https://www.weather.gov/

For the latest up to the moment details.

The local fishing news continues to be 'poor' at best, as the cod reports coming from RI was not too exciting, and Jersey coast black fishing is one where you have to be, and as I was told, "on point while at the rail...."

How about some 'happy fishing news' from Capt. Jason Colby, LITTLE SISTER Charters, MA:

Gators, Large Mouths and Mayans? OH MY!

I went to Florida last week to visit my mom and the fish in her lake were only too happy to bite anything I put in front of them! Some of the largemouth bass were quite sizable, up to over 7 pounds with quite a few in the 4 to 6 pound range. I think they are growing....

I did have a saltwater charter booked one day but the captain had to cancel for a family issue. Then, my secondary charter for 7am on Friday cancelled at 530am saying his boat was not working properly. So, my saltwater fishing has to wait. I will try to get down there again over the next couple of months.

A strange thing happened down there I'd like to share.

About ten years ago I caught a Mayan Chichlid in a Florida pond, and it was quite beautiful and unusual looking, but I did not catch another one until Saturday (01/22/22) when I caught three of them in two different lakes! Two, within five minutes of each other on a lake I fish every time I'm down there at my mother's place and one about 10 miles away at my mother's boy-friend place. What are the chances of that?

Speaking of saltwater fishing, do you guys/gals realize that the 2022 launch of Little Sister "could be" less than 10 weeks away (65 days???)? Of course that depends on what the GOM cod regs settle on which we should know by the end of next month and the next update.

For now, I wish everyone to keep warm in the upcoming "Arctic Blast" and stay healthy! OH yeah-here is a pic of IGGY who was following me around the lake as seen in the last image....

Captain Jason Colby
Little Sister Charters
http://www.LittleSister1.com
617-755-3740

This past Monday, one of the captains here on Long Island said to me about a lack of party boats for sale in:

BOATS & HARBORS: https://www.pageturnpro.com/Boats-and-H ... fault.html

Due to the negative issues popping up daily with the economy as well as what will be more constrictive regulations for cod (NEFMC regulated) and biscuits (MAFMC regulated) that will be imposed in 2022.

I just want to point out that the triple screw, 70ft ATLANTIS, located in the freedom loving Sunshine State has been up for sale, and is another boat that may attract attention in our region. For those interested:

BOAT TRACKER:
https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1986-co ... i-5842034/

Also, IYBA:
https://iyba.org/mls-detail?id=81274&ve ... s-for-sale

Larger pics on, YATCO:
https://www.yatco.com/yacht/70-drift-fi ... da-260541/

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:15 am

It seems many of us here in northern NJ, and the rest of the tri-state area will be prepping and buckling down for another noticeably snow event which is supposed to start tomorrow afternoon. It seems that various weather pundits are predicting less snow to the west (4-8 inches) then significant (8-12 inches) and extremely significant (12-18 inches) as you shift to the most eastern parts of Long Island, southern Rhode Island and Massachusetts.

Needless to say, the oncoming snow, combined with the ice I now see coming down the North River (Hudson to ya folks), is going to put a significant chill in the waters off our shores and in the NY-NJ BIGHT during the last week of January. This is definitely not conducive to winter tog fishing out of the Garden State....

National Weather Service maps shown should give us some idea on what to expect as they now fall within a 24 hour tracking window.

Oh, as for fishing report, a bare handful of cod, dink pollock, ling and a few scuppos on the KING COD on his 'wherever' trips...

Though I am not attending this year, just a reminder about the best fishing show, and well needed too at this point with the WARD MEVILLE FISHING SHOW....

The other day, the daughter of the original artist posted pieces of the Sheepshead Bay party boat mural from back in the early to mid 1980s. The mural is long gone, but many of us still remember this unique drawing which eventually went away - as all of these vessels which once used to line the piers along Emmons Ave in the Bay.

Two perspectives here...

Thanks to one of the fishermen I know, he sent this over, and I must say I have never heard or seen a drone flying around Gerritsen Creek before. If anyone knows more about this, please let us know....

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:31 pm

As we brace for this latest cyclone-bomb to impact the northeast region, the reports as of 1200 hrs on this Friday continue to hold for the NYC metro area to have an accumulation of 6-9 inches, slightly higher than the report from yesterday of 4-8 inches.

Not looking forward to this one, and I continue to say that this will impact what little fishing news that we are hearing about over the last few weeks. The full blunt of a snow-chilled winter is now in full effect as we close out the month of January in 2022....

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:46 pm

So much in using the:
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INTERACTIVE MAP: https://www.weather.gov/crh/snowfall

But I can pass along that we here in the County of Kings we had between 12-14 inches of the solid white stuff come down. It could have been worse, and many around the tri-state region mentioned 18 inches occurring further to the south in the Garden State, and out to eastern part of Long Island.

Hopefully this is it with the large snowfalls for the rest of the winter....

At this time of the year, many take the time to tie various rigs for the species they will target as the weather warms in the coming months, Here is part of the discussion where I write about making your own tilefish rigs, and the reason why you should tie them in this manner.

In humbly making a comment on this topic, and something a know just "a little about," and spending a good amount of time with the late Captain Jeff Gutman and Dave Arbeitman of the REEL SEAT in N.J., one thing that was interesting was that 'glow' items on a commercial longline tile rig is never used.

How do we know, see the image, and I have to thank Mel Deak who sent this over back in May of 2015. Deep water critters, in particular feed during what is called 'biological daylight' as species they prey upon are easier for them to capture. What is stranger, and if you have been involved at the tilefish AP or other meetings and read through the documents, their primary food source are 'benthic' critters such as crabs, thus they are not primarily chasing various smaller forage fish which many think think they do.

So, in this realm we know they rely on either movement or scent within their environment. The primary goal in making a rig is that leader material on the branch lines lays out from the branch line, a decent three-way swivel, and for us it seems in adding some glow - with either a small squid skirt, but as good or most likely better, glow tubing especially the JINKAI LUMINOUS CHAFE SLEEVES (hint, they sell knock-off glow tubing online which will save you a good amount of money if you make a few rigs).

A tip which you can find on eBay if you type in:

50 Count - 4-1/2" Glow Sleeve Crimp Protector Deep Drop Luminous Glow Fishing - $16.00

Slide this on your line instead of using a bigger 6" squid skirt, especially if you're targeting the smaller mouth blueline tile. Years back, Maria would tie a rig with either 80-100 lb test (I used to bring the spools of Exsum line for Jeff), I believe either Fin Striker or Sea Striker 3-way swivels, heavy duty swivel which I wouldn't be surprised was a Rosco, 3 inch glow squid skirt and 7/0-8/0 Eagle Claw circle hooks.

I have to ask her next time I speak with her, but that is what I remember, and it worked well enough for the VOYAGER tile trips for the peeps who need a good blueline and regular golden tilefish rig. Add a small strip of bait that stays on the hook and your set. If your targeting larger goldens in deeper water, adjust your rig and hook size accordingly up, and you can read one article here:

MAY 29, 2015 - VOYAGER - GOLDEN TILEFISH WHICH HAD SWALLOWED A LONGLINE CIRCLE HOOK RIG & ONCE AGAIN DEEP DROPPING JIGS REVISITED: viewtopic.php?t=15043

Either way, and as the late Captain Tom Marconi used to say, "don't get all scientific here," and we can see this in the pic of the commercial tilefish rig. Below is a pic of the glow tubing sleeve protectors, with the light on and then off which also serves to help the branch line stand out from the main line.

Finally, I located the article from the:

FLORIDA SPORTSMAN: https://www.floridasportsman.com/editor ... ish/401888

In the last picture, and seen in this article is the way a simple tilefish rig can be tied, and here I believe they are using your standard MUSTAD - inline circle hook....

In following up about the Captain Rob and the CAPTREE PRINCESS which was the first vessel he owned, and previously his father, Captain Tim Andresen with the POOKA, here are some follow up pics as the CAPTREE PRIDE became a CAPTREE PRINCESS after Captain Rob sold that boat to Captain Desi (one of the original founders of this website) and which still currently operating as the CELTIC GRACE. At this point, there may have been four different CATPREE PRINCESS vessels owned by CAPTAIN Rob.

- Gilliken CAPTREE PRIDE ===> CELTIC GRACE

- Yank CAPTREE PRIDE ===> CAPTREE PRINCESS ===> MARILYN JEAN V ===> ISLAND SPIRIT (2022)

Notice in the last image with the CELTIC GRACE and the VOYAGER which eventually became the latest CAPTREE PRINCESS....

Thanks to Dennis M. what we have a blackfish report as he fished with Captain Monty of the MORNING STAR the other day.

"The spot was named 'Denns Ledge' on his plotter from yrs ago and it didn’t disappoint!!

The Bday group caught around 6-7 DD’s, and a few that were real close to double digits!

99% of them went back with a tag! Awesome day!"

Thanks to Dennis M. for one of the most positive fishing reports we have seen so far in 2022...

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:47 pm

With the sun shining as we approach midday on this last Sunday in January, I wonder if you noticed some of the snowfall totals from around the region with many areas in the Garden and Bay states having anywhere from 18 inches to over 24 inches, and this was not drift snow either!

For those wondering on Long Island with the highest snowfall totals, it seems that the official NWS observation at ISLIP AIRPORT had a snow total of 22.4 inches of snow.

The reason why I bring this up is that I did see a NOAA - National Weather Service report this morning and questioned the disconnect from what they have documented on their weather maps to what local reporters are showing us on tv. SEE BELOW and COMPARE.

The question is, how can NOAA be this inaccurate in something as simple as in accurately measuring how much snow fell during this past snow-bomb-cyclone, aka the January 2022 northeast blizzard?

For those wondering how big the waves were offshore, it never fails with the TEXAS TOWER buoy recording seas popping up at 24.3 feet and I believe this to be the highest in the area between the Garden and once Empire State.

With the seas that high, you can understand the amount of turbulence throughout the water column, and the impact it will have for the seas to settle down. I doubt there will be any notable fishing news over the coming days...

In part 2 of our tilefish rig socialized media discussion, I add in some other details which should help fishermen who make or buy custom made tilefish rigs.

A good Sunday morning, and to answer a few questions and pass along some thoughts that we learned from both Captain Jeff of the VOYAGER and Dave from the REEL SEAT, that sometimes less on the rig is more especially when the dogs are climbing in the canyon. This is normally with winter and the spring fishery, and what you do is use a simple rig, even going to one low hook with a strip of dogfish as bait and try to work through them.

Bluefish, which you will see with the offshore run of fish in the spring, are a go-to bait which you can make belly strips from, and how can you beat having fresh strip bait?

Fishermen do have their preference when tying rigs, but normally you stay from a dropper and go to a crimped or even snelled hook and use a simple unit knot for a connection to the 3-way swivel. I am not a fan of loading up a tile rig with any glow beads or other items, and they don't work in your favor when you have little or no drift.

As for leader material, in doing a few shows you hear from fishermen who prefer a stiffer leader material like Triple Fish - as an example, and then going to the softer - as in more limp than the previously named product in using the coil Ande product which I found the most reasonable to work with. I believe Dave used the Momoi, and for the higher end coil products, and Jinkai has always been a favorite of ours, and if you purchase their coiled product, (it is recommended if you crimp, to use their sleeves).

Below are a few rigs that Capt. Chet of the REGINA E would sell, and we use them due to the highest quality of components used. His preference for hooks was with the OWNER - SUPER MUTU style circle, and it is as close you will come to the QUICK RIG circle hook which Dave pointed out is as good as you can find on the hook market.

One last point, and again Captain Jeff and Dave spent a great deal of time and many years to fine tune and tweak these tilefish rigs, you can carry a few different style tilefish rigs, and if the dogs are barking in the canyon, go to a rig with stiffer leader material with hooks made by Mustad or Eagle Claw, as you don't mind as much in tossing them out if they get kinked up or have obvious abrasion marks on the branch or main line.

I wouldn't get hung up on the squids, especially when blueline fishing, and focus more on an appropriate sized small strip bait that stays on the hook, maybe like a finger length of salmon belly.

Either way, a striped of silver eel, summer flounder, false albacore and such, will be the preferred baits of those who regularly target these denizens of the deep....

Finally, and as you can see on socialized media with a few for-hire captains looking for, or upgrading from their current vessel, I would take a look in:

BOATS & HARBORS:
https://www.pageturnpro.com/Boats-and-H ... tml#page/1

This is one of the late and legendary wood boat builder Robert Sherbert of Daytona Marina & Boat Works, with similar party boat vessels that are very decent in high horsepower which are still in use here:

SEA LOVE fleet: https://sealovefishing.com/the-boats

In my humble opinion, a striking looking vessel at the dock as well as along the water that is pretty unique as in being a 'double planked' mahogany wood party boat that has operated out of Florida, and normally I would recommend this for anyone looking for a reasonable-size inshore party boat.

A very nice video can be seen on the:
SEA SPIRIT FISHING - Home Page: https://www.seaspiritfishing.com/

Take a moment to look at the video of the SEA SPIRIT fishing as it is pretty interesting.

Stay warm this Sunday...

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby nickh » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:50 pm

The tube over the 3 way eye to stand off the leader has been around for at least 50 years as far as I know. The old time cod fishermen taught me that trick. And I’ve stopped using skirts on my bait rigs. I have though moves away from the capt al knot and snell knot. I only use cross line swivels or 3 ways. No tangles or spin. Rig will fish straight all day.
nickh

Postby nickh » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:50 pm

The tube over the 3 way eye to stand off the leader has been around for at least 50 years as far as I know. The old time cod fishermen taught me that trick. And I’ve stopped using skirts on my bait rigs. I have though moves away from the capt al knot and snell knot. I only use cross line swivels or 3 ways. No tangles or spin. Rig will fish straight all day.
nickh

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:06 pm

This was from a lovely afternoon sitting along the shoreline and watch the outgoing tide and the ice flows south of the Tappan Zee Bridge, and this was before the bigger stuff came down an hour later. Needless to say, this is not going to help any fishing for cod and blackfish off the Jersey coast....

As we wrap up part 3 on tilefish rigs, this on the single hook rig and your choice of a high end hook when going for big tilefish or on a party or charter boat that may fish wreckfish and other denizens of the deep.

"Dave from the REEL SEAT came up with the single hook rig using the 'Charlie Brown Circle Hook with Welded Ring' from Quick Rig. I just like to first give a few thoughts on the types of hook used and for a single hook rig, the Charlie Brown circle hook is a machined hook which Jeff used to joke that you needed a hacksaw to cut it out if caught in the hinge of a fish's jaw.

As razor sharp as an Owner Super Mutu, but the Charlie Brown is just a deadlier hook, and it surprisingly is an inline instead of an offset hook. The idea was to use it when looking for snowies or wreckfish, but even the smaller size hook could easily hold a decent size BFT. These days you could use the Super Mutu hooks and they work just as well.

Also, I did speak to Greg of the YANKEE CAPTs two weeks ago about the Charlie Browns, and that is the only region where I would recommend using that hook as the Super Mutu is a high-quality circle hook. So, in closing, the four reason why to use a single hook rig if you're 1) targeting XXL goldens in the deep, 2) trying to catch a snowy or wreckfish, 3) drifting over deep water snag-happy wrecks or 4) when the dogfish become unbearable, and you just fish a single hook rig....

Finally, if you have read through the first issue of Feb. 2020, you will see this ad in:

BOATS & HARBORS: https://www.pageturnpro.com/Boats-and-H ... fault.html

I was told that this vessel was to be picked up today in Freeport, Long Island (not Bahamas) and then to sail back to the Carolinas by its previous owner...

EC NEWELL MAN

PreviousNext

Return to FRESHWATER FISHING FORUM