MAY 24, 2019 - A NY BIGHT INSIDER FISHING & MARITIME PICS STUFFED INTO THE EMAIL ROUND BIN: TIME TO PULL THEM OUT (THIS WILL BE CONTINUOUSLY UPDATED)

No boat, no problem! Here is a forum for those who love catching their favorite fish from terra-firma.

Re: MAY 24, 2019 - A NY BIGHT INSIDER FISHING & MARITIME PICS STUFFED INTO THE EMAIL ROUND BIN: TIME TO PULL THEM OUT (THIS WILL BE CONTINUOUSLY UPDATED)

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:44 am

With the first day of fall upon us, an interesting bit of party boat history with the late Captain Jeff Gutman, original aluminum VOYAGER as she looked and the vessel history from when she was built at GULF CRAFT. Images courtesy of:

MEL DEAK of MEL'S PLACE - MIKES MARITIME MEMORABILIA
http://www.mels-place.com/mmm/

This (meaning currently) 85-foot aluminum vessel was built in 1974 by Gulf Craft at Patterson, LA as:

* Captain Bill Van Wetering's third CAPT. BILL VAN from Belmar, NJ.

* She later sailed as the late Captain John Connell's third CAPTAIN JOHN from Keyport, NJ,

* as Captain Arnold "Speedy" Hubert's SPEEDY EXPRESS from Captree, NY,

* as the whale watcher ZEPHYR VI from Gloucester, MA,

* and as the late Captain Jeff Gutman's first VOYAGER from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ.

* In 2015, she started sailing as Captain Rob Andresen's CAPTREE PRINCESS from Captree, NY

Note: the ownership of the vessels as per SHIP BUILDING HISTORY GULF CRAFT for hull # (either) 189/190 in 1974:

BILL VAN (Original aqua and white color scheme from shipyard then B/W image was from the ASBURY PARK PRESS when the vessel was new)

SPEEDY EXPRESS in Captree
ZEPHYR VI as a whale watch vessel
CAPTAIN JOHN in Keyport, NJ
VOYAGER in Pt. Pleasant Beach, NJ - stern view when the vessel was being sold
CAPTREE PRINCESS with current owner Captain Rob first with extended aluminum pulpit and later with extended stern 'step' added

Thanks to Mel from MEL's PLACE: http://www.mels-place.com/ for this history and some of the images...

This was sent over from my friends cutting house in Norfolk, VA., of a 'backward' or 'reversed summer flounder. Though it states in the imagine of "one in ten million," I was told by another captain who spent many years cutting fish in Montauk that it is more common than one would think - if your paying attention.....

Captain Steve of TOP HOOK charters, MTK., told me last night that it was a long day to put a good catch together of fluke and also passed along that this could be the last fluke trip for his vessel in 2021 if the weather does not hold up on his next scheduled fluke trip...

EC NEWELL MAN

Re: MAY 24, 2019 - A NY BIGHT INSIDER FISHING & MARITIME PICS STUFFED INTO THE EMAIL ROUND BIN: TIME TO PULL THEM OUT (THIS WILL BE CONTINUOUSLY UPDATED)

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:52 am

Last night I was asked about the information brought up about the CAPTREE PRINCESS and "What was the deal with this party boat." I explained that this particular party boat may have had more structural changes then any northeast inspected vessel through, and going on, what will be a 50 year period since it was built at Gulf Craft in 1974.

Mel Deak of:
MEL's PLACE: http://www.mels-place.com/mmm/In-Memori ... index.html

With most of the images, and as I explained, with all additional structure work done after June 6, 2005 when the late Captain Jeff purchased the vessel, and then thereafter with Captain Rob Andresen.

Note 1: The upstairs seating was placed there, and from what I know from the time the vessel was doing whale watching out of Massachusetts.

Note 2: An extended enclosed curtain area was placed behind the wheelhouse which also contained bunks for the crew (I know since I used to sleep in those bunks). This area was removed by Captain Rob after he purchased the vessel.

- Set up with a USCG approved under main cabin bunk room
- Anchor pulpit which can be raised and lowered 'Captree Style'
- Main cabin having folding and hanging bunks
- Extended stern porch or step

As seen in the image below, the last day of the vessel being the CAPTAIN JOHN - Keyport, NJ and being relocated to Pt. Pleasant Beach, NJ.....

Captain Jimmy of the JAMES JOSEPH fleet sent over a pic last evening with some big 'horse chops,' and here are a few with a special customer, a 98 year old - Greatest Generation WW2 veteran, as well as some cut scup from a master, Captain Joe who carves up two fillets from each fish in roughly 10 seconds......

One of the most important and personal stories at least to me is with the number of fishermen I have helped over the years become not only better fishermen, but such insightful story tellers about their fishing day. Here we have Andrew O. who did one of the finest write ups on a cod and pollock trip out of EASTMAN's DOCK a few days ago where he not only discussed the fishing day, but also in trying to always improve what he can do in order to make the fishing experience that much better for future trips.

I was impressed how Andrew keeps looking to improve in each and every trip he makes, not only with the fishing tackle he brings along, but what he does during the day, and as I keep harping here, in keeping YOUR CATCH as fresh as possible before you bring it home to family and friends. Yes, bleed and heavily ice.

He wrote the story of the day on a socialized media forum, and hopefully he will bring it here too since his story was that good. By the way, he did mention how good the:

NA LAV JIGS: https://najigs.com/collections/lavjigs

Worked on this trip.

Thanks to fishermen like Andrew who actually take the information that is posted, applies it in order to improve their fishing skills....

A quick few pics from Captain Greg of the YANKEE CAPTS, and some fish on JOHNNY JIGS which has a wide selection of free fall and flat jigs to use on these long range trips.

JOHNNY JIGS: https://johnnyjigs.com/

https://johnnyjigs.com/pages/about-us?_ ... 7a3c&_ss=r

By the way, I keep reminding fishermen that catching BO biscuits on the CAPTREE PRIDE is going on right now, and eventually the striped bass westward migration will be starting soon. It's time to go while you can still fish in a tee or light sweatshirt to bring home some close to shore large and jumbo sea bass.....

Did anyone see the VIKING FLEET latest handout on the vessels of their fleet? This is the first time I have seen this, and I noticed a vessel there, a VIKING STARLIGHT, which I did not know they had operating at this time...

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:00 pm

Strangely for this time of the year it has been a little quiet as the weather has taken it's toll over the past few days. I have not heard much in the way of fishing reports for today, but it does seem like we should have some decent weather for the last weekend in September.

We will start off with a Captain Jason Colby of LITTLE SISTER charters, Westport, MA., fishing report and it seems all fall species have their "eating shoes on...."

Black Fish Getting Steady/Bass in The River Still

Since 09/09, the day after the sea bass closed, we have had "limits or near limits" of tog on every trip EXCEPT ONE. That was Tuesday where in spite of great weather we only put one keeper in the box. In contrast to that, Wednesdays trip had more than 3/4 the limits and Thursdays trip had full limits with some of the fish reaching the "sizable category."

Of these tog pics, we have Fawaz on Monday, Mark on Wednesday and Dan on Thursday. Yes, the fish seem to be "getting bigger!"

The striper fishing was a bit of a disappointment on several "fruitless attempts," but that came to an end on yesterdays trip when we had the full boat tog limit before 10am so we chunked in The River at "Spot A" for nary a bite. Then, at "Spot B", we had quite a bit of action. In about 45 minutes of fishing there we had 7 fish, two of which were slot keepers of 29 and 32 inches.

Below is Kharran with his 32 and Ed and Dan from yesterday hamming it up with a couple of tog they got at the same instant.

If you need a charter date for tog/blackfish, please contact me ASAP! Open Dates are limited...As for "Open Boat," there is currently space on every Thursday until I pull the boat around/after mid November (that is the current plan but things can change).

AND NOW, Announcing "Dalton Daze!" That's right, fish with Dalton!!! He is off work every Tuesday so that is when he can go fishing. So, for the time being, every Tuesday, 7am-noon will be just like Thursday's open boat at $125/person by reservation only.

For those in NYS who hold a NYS FFL or other fishery permits, the NYS DEC new building is open for business. As I was told, the facility opened up sometime during the summer, and their has been a shift of various NYS Marine District departments over from the East Seatucket Bunker over to the Kings Park Complex since that time. There was also a lineup outside the building of a few sharp looking enforcement Privateers sitting on trailers at the building, and it is a noticeable change from the 'old' location where not only the permits, but MRAC meetings were held at....

Now I wonder, was this for dinner, or was this for a day of fishing, and I leave it up to the fishing audience to decide....

Captain Jimmy and Captain James of the JAMES JOSEPH fleet is busy catching all three jigging-species at this time on the late afternoon trips. Besides the excellent blue fishing, it's been striped and weakfish making up the catch on these trips, and I keep saying, "do it while you can still wear a tee or light sweatshirt....

ImageImage

On the lighter side, who is hanging this off their lobster gear in Long Island Sound? Just wondering....

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:39 pm

One of the more interesting fishing reports that I have been following this season, has been Nick and his lobsta-picking in state waters. Today when his gear was pulled, a change in what was coming up along with the lobster as you can clearly see. Good for blackfish season as in saving a few dollars in bait, and it is all worth it when you can bring a big bug home for dinner.....

For those fishing off the East Beach off Rockaway, this BFT season will be one to remember, and for Ralph 'Rod Winder' there was another 71 inch horse mackerel coming home for the sushi table. Ralph did say that he had to keep moving along once he got to the fishing area when the count hit 200 small boats clustered together, and he said it was best to get a distance away from the fleet in order to get in on his own fish.....

Captain Rob of the CAPTREE PRINCESS stayed in the Great South Bay to make his day with fluke and weakfish, and the keeper total report indicates a really good fishing day at this time in September. Shame is this run of bay fish will come to an end by midweek, and this is not a weather related issue, but regulatory driven here in the once Empire State as the last day for recreational harvest of summer flounder in 2021 is on September 30th....

Captain Kenny on the CAPTREE PRIDE is steaming off the beach to make this catch of BO size sea bass and scup, and it will be anytime in October when these big units will only be found on the mid-range and offshore wreck trips....

Along with the mix of blues, bass and weakfish that are caught on the afternoon jigging trips, the morning scup trips where you can catch some pretty decent size porgies very close to the beach. It is a pleasure when you can catch them this easy so close to shore when the weather is still warm....

Over the past two months on one socialized media platform, there has been a surprising number of modified Newell Reels going up for sale. Nothing wrong with that, and in fact many of these reels have been put together with top of the line aftermarket parts such as frames, spools, handles and other upgrades. There is though the badges and the colors used on the various badges which many believe make the reel more valuable, but they are not factory, just like you see here with one of my personal P-332 M reels.

This reel was upgraded with a Ultimate drag kit, oversize graphite star and other goodies, and purposely put a GRAPHITE badge on the left side of the plate to help ID it as my own custom Newell. Now it seems that a few other Newell Reels are coming to market where this is done, and maybe the reason being is that the person modifying the reel does not have the correct 'NEWELL' badge to put in it's place. This is not to dissuade anyone from picking up one of these customized reels as they are pretty neat and attractive to own, and this is only a 'public service' to make people aware on what they may be spending a few Benjamins on....

Well, I did receive this from a Long Island Sound operator tonight, and it must be a Long Island Sound political issue with lobstermen on that body of water, just saying....

Finally, a fishing report from the YANKEE CAPTS with a ending which is thoughtful way to give away those extra fish you catch. Thanks to Nicholas C. who wrote this story......
Went on the Johnny jigs private charter on the Yankee Capts Offshore Fishing with John Steadham, Chris Doyle, Peter Krause, Will Kraine Monday September 20th with Capt Gregory Mercurio at the helm of the world famous Yankee Capts.

We fished Pulley Ridge, both the topside and the deeper waters. Mother Nature wasn’t cooperating the first day as we fished on top of the ridge. Weird drift and currents made for a slow pick. We did start off with a bang as Chris Doyle caught a nice wahoo right off the bat, there was also a very large scamp grouper caught as well. Not going to mention what my opinion is on the Red Grouper Closure that is in place till 1-1-22. NOAA dropped the ball on this one, IMHO!!

Lots of familiar faces, jokes and digs were flying around the boat like a flying fish improv. I decided that I was going to hand crank bait, off of the ledge. Boy oh boy, if anyone says they want to deep drop in 600-1000 feet and hand crank you might want to reconsider! Caught some of the biggest Blueline tiles I have ever seen.

After a slow start to the trip Capt Greg put us on a great bite as soon as the weather permitted us to fish deep. Fishing is fishing and things just came together with some really quality fish. Big blue line tiles, queen tiles, large almacos, snowy grouper, yellow edge grouper, black belly rose fish. Hand cranking 32oz of lead is definitely not easy, my arms are still sore even as I type this a day later. A couple of nice wahoo were also caught on the troll.

I am blessed to have the opportunity to be able to go on these trips. No amount of fish that I have ever brought home after a trip like this compares to seeing the smile of #LornaMclain the Food Assistance Manager at the Naples St. Matthews House. Special thank you to JohnnyJigs Fishing staff that donated a large majority of the fish caught from this trip on the YANKEE CAPTS....

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:58 pm

I did speak to Captain Paul Paris of the CAPTAIN DAVE III, and he noted that not only the scup fishing has improved, but at night, there has been a pretty neat mix with a few weakfish along with jacks and pilot fish now being caught with the scup. Right now it's a pleasure for a short ride to the grounds, nice warm weather and catching a good amount of scup in a few short hours at the rail....

There was a short discussion on a socialized media platform about some classic jigs made by NA JIGS: https://najigs.com/collections/fish-on-tackle-jigs and in using a purple painted jig. Below you see the original 8 and 11 ounce (to the left and right of the purple jig) FOT JIGS or FISH ON TACKLE jigs when John T. owned the company (he bought if from the original owner of LAV jigs) and a 16 ounce purple painted LAV jig.

The FOT jigs are a conventional 'blocky' shape design unlike the traditional Norwegian shape, and there a few fishermen who like them since they are easier to fish in the current. The main part of this story though is the purple color which in the GOMaine is the preferred color for terminal tackle like tubes and cod flys. On Georges and in the Channel/Shoals area, colors such as our traditional hot pink and red are the go to color choices, while we see more dark green (surgical tubes) and a chartreuse color especially with the 6' curly tail seem to work better especially for pollock.

Many wonder if they should be a stainless, nickel, chrome, painted or a plain lead jig, and I can pass along that each fishermen will have their favorites, and in not trying to spend anyone's hard earned money, but much depends on the type of trip being made in New England and which fish your targeting. I have learned the hard way in losing costly, and some of my favorite stainless and chrome/nickle plated jigs on sticky - gear covered wrecks, and I have also seen regular unplated lead jigs catch fish as fast or better than a chrome plated jig.

As for painted jigs, I have seen fishermen love a pink painted jig for haddock, and it worked well for cod, but that is their choice, especially when seeing the success of a chrome plated S&G 97 or 12, and the SOLVROKEN 99N/C for a 12 ounce jig. Further, it is your choice as far as finishes on your jigs, but I will recommend in closing that lately more fishing trips, especially out of one of the Cape Cod party and or charter boat ports are fishing deeper, thus requiring heavier jigs such as a 16 ounce or 500 gram - 17.5 ounce jig in order to tend the bottom properly.

Just passing this along in order for fishermen to keep in mind the available choices in groundfish jigs from NA JIGS and to always bring along a few heavier jigs, just in case the conditions require them....

Here is a 'back in the day' FINLANDER pic taken by Karl with a quality steaker, and notice the terminal tackle being used. It is getting to that time of the year, and surgical tube teasers will have their moments in putting pollock and cod (where it is open) into the cooler....

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:42 am

Heartbreaking news this morning with the passing of commercial lobsterman NORBERT STAMPS who battled like no one I have ever known until finally he decided that it was time.

The thoughts of Lord Tennyson, and may Norbert lay in the comforting and loving hands of God.....

Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea,

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;

For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.

The latest fishing report from Captain Jason Colby of LITTLE SISTER charters, Westport, MA.,

Tog Limits Saturday and Sunday......With quite a few "brutes" in mix like the one by Collin and by Ralph (seen below in the first two ;clearer' pics)...

Collin The Little Sister Video Dude, put up a couple more "fish romance flicks" for you:

Cod & Research: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A3Ilb5ilho
Sea Bass & Striper: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IANsVFA_3yg
All Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmVzUL ... w8w/videos

Let us know what you think!

More from the weekend: The weather was great and Little Sister's "SPOT LOCK GIZMO" was working well. We were able to make adjustments to find "spots within spots" which is great for tog fishing....There were many more notable fish on both Saturday and Sunday with a few more pics below.

Captain Jimmy of the JAMES JOSEPH fleet has been on the striped bass, weakfish and bluefish for the past few weeks, and this is a great sign to see with the gorilla-size bluefish making up a good part of the afternoon into the early evening catch...

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:20 am

Grey skies Tuesday morning, and in following up with the sad news on the passing of a beloved person, not only in the fishing community but to many who knew him due to years of advocacy in the fishing industry, Norbert Stamps of Barrington, Rhode Island, a many decades long offshore lobster and crab fisherman who passed away yesterday. May he Rest in Peace....

(Source socialized media)

Captain Steve of TOP HOOK charters, MTK. has been switching over to limit filling striped bass and sea bass fishing trips at this time of the year. From all reports, slot limit bass and big sea bass will be the main target until NY blackfish season opens in a few weeks....

In talking about black fishing, I know from speaking to an east end pin hooker that the bite on 'BIG UNIT' tog has been surprisingly better than what was expected, and hopefully many in the recreational sector here in the once Empire State can enjoy some inshore fishing when it opens in Long Island Sound on Oct. 11th, and for the rest of Long Island/NYC on Oct. 15th....

Thanks to Bob who sent over a neat cover picture from one of the most noted American weekly news and human interest publications (when there were such high journalistic and reporting standards with a magazine), with this iconic cover shot on the collision and sinking of what has become one of the most iconic shipwrecks in our region.....

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:41 pm

There was a rumor, and it seems it was true from what I found on socialized media this evening with what is a sign of the times with any local small business, and one of the most noted Long Island tackle shops is now going out of business. I do not know the reason, but many of us who have spent money there, especially on old reels and custom rods, know that SEA ISLE was always a place to stop by when in Freeport.

It seems it will be closed very soon, but I would imagine that deals on inventory can be made for those stopping by. I know a few guys who will miss this landmark before getting to the party boat fleet on Woodcleft Canal, and I will definitely be one of them......

[Image

Tomorrow is the last day in the once Empire State for summer flounder, and the CAPTREE PRINCESS has been having some last few weeks of very solid bay fluking with limits fishing - at times, and some big fish winning the trip pool. What a shame that the fluke season is ending with the fishing so good at this time of the year....

ImageImage

How about that with the accuracy of some of these charting programs!

Well, to let everyone in on a little secret, this was not a surprise 'run over' drop, as it was found by legendary Captain Joe Masone many decades ago and now clearly marked on NOAA and blackline charts. I didn't need any GPS numbers to know how this big-girl is as she reads very distinctly on a bottom machine - if you pass over it in a west to east direction as you can see in the color image.

You may ask, "how did I know it was run over east to west," and that is simple by noticing the initial deeper depth and then as it is rises out of the depths (becomes noticeably shallower) of the Hudson Canyon proper. Good drop at one time, and one big canyon wreck these days which you can donate some of your unwanted terminal tackle if you make a few passes over it....

Just the other day with Captain Greg of the OCEAN EAGLE V and his regularly scheduled fluke trip as he found a number of large and jumbo fluke, despite the conditions that they had to fish through. Captain Greg has one more fluke trip tomorrow, and it should be very interesting with what the customers harvest on the wrap up trip for this 2021 season with Captain Greg...

In talking about some nasty weather over the last few weeks, how would you like to see this coming around Montauk Pt., but thankfully after a very good fishing day. It has not been calm seas to say the least, and I did hear that today out in Montauk it was very nautical once again. Pay attention to the sea and weather conditions using your favorite weather app....

Captain Steve of TOP HOOK charters, MTK., sent this image of a catch and release striped bass caught the other day. It also is coming to the "right about now time" with the start of the fall jigging run in Montauk, and. Just remember to bring your standard chrome diamond jigs (no tube) in the 4, 6 and 8 oz size, especially some on the heavier side due to the amount of wind we have been having in this region lately....

Also out of Montauk, Brian H. is holding a good-size but mutilated striped bass. I do not know whether any part of this fish was kept, and normally you toss it back over. But if you do intend to keep it and cut it up, you must keep the rack until you hit the dock just in case enforcement is checking. Hopefully the striped bass fishing was good enough for everyone onboard 1 fish slot limit rockfish, and this fish disposed of properly....

A few days ago, I was passed over some information about a long time party boat operator finally wrapping it up on Sunday, and a new owner to the west purchasing this super cruiser. We will see and post any news, especially from the new operator on future trips when they are posted.

All the best though to a longtime gentlemen captain who will now end up spending much more time in the Sunshine State....

ImageImage

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:41 pm

To start off with another Mel Deak party boat history lesson with image courtesy of MIKE'S MARITIME MEMORABILIA, this time with a vessel which seems to have as many structural changes to the vessel than the CAPTREE PRINCESS has had through the decades. One of the most noticeable is the added cabin extension and additional boat length to bring LOA to around 85 feet.

Built 1972 by Gulf Craft at Patterson, LA as John Pierce's SHADY LADY from Rudee Inlet, VA, it was the first party boat built by Gulf Craft and one of the earliest all-aluminum party fishing boats on the Atlantic Coast. The SHADY LADY then changed ports and sailed from Hatteras Village, NC.

From 1978 to 2007 the boat then sailed as the CAPT. CASEY from Freeport, TX. (Conversions done and installation of high horsepower CATS during the later years when this operation owned the vessel)

It then sailed as Arnold "Speedy" Hubert's fifth SPEEDY EXPRESS from Captree, NY. (Only for a few short years)

Boat sold and relocated to the west coast as it became the whale watcher ISLAND EXPLORER 4 from Anacortes, WA.

The boat is presently sailing as Brian and Rachel Goodremont's whale watcher M/V OSPREY from Friday Harbor.

MEL's-PLACE - MIKE'S MARITIME MEMORABILIA: GULF CRAFT
http://www.mels-place.com/mmm/Gulf-Craft/index.html#

Below is a half of a century boat history in pics, with the CAPTAIN CASEY image sourced to Terry T. (as per notes in my files)

The last image is from Classic Whale Watch & Wildlife Tour and the boat looks as sharp as they come for a party boat.......

Captain Jimmy of the JAMES JOSEPH fleet sent this over in the morning, and then a picture from his party party boat on the afternoon bluefish trip. Captain Jimmy also had on the morning charter, scup, sea bass and a few kingfish. Also notice the big bluefish was caught on a plain jig, just as I mentioned the other day....

Captain Greg of the OCEAN EAGLE V closed out the 2021 NYS fluke season with some big fish, with a 9 lb taking the heaviest fish pool. As I have previously mentioned, what a shame that everyone will have to wait until 2022 to legally harvest a summer flounder in the once Empire State....

For both the CAPTREE PRINCESS and CAPTREE PRIDE, it is off to the mid-range wrecks until striped bass jigging starts sometime in October. But who can't resist catching these 'Big Unit Bo Biscuits' right now......'

Oh yes, it's getting to that time of the year, but with the best part being some trophy size triggerfish around on the very nearshore wrecks and hard bottom drops. From what I was told, there were many more like this size going into the pail.....

Here is a pretty interesting picture sent over by a local captain, but taken by a mate who works on the SUPER HAWK. I had to check as I was told there may be a google eye, a southern forage fish in this catch. I did check and it seems that the catch was made up of: sennetts, peanuts, baby chubs and a forage fish that could not be properly ID. Very interesting to see what bait fish are inside of Jones Inlet.....

Finally we do have another SLO-PITCH JIGGING video from a recent trip on the YANKEE CAPTS:

Mutton Mania!! | Slow Pitch Jigging | Offshore Fishing | Yankee Capt. | JohnnyJig | Wahoo On The Jig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFoEPryQGz0

There is some good information on rods, reels and jigs you should bring along and mentioned in this video....

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:54 am

First Saturday in October, and the last quarter of the year. What surprises in the fishing season are ahead for us, and I did see one with a run of false albacore and bonita that are coming through off Fire Island and other areas in the NY-NJ BIGHT proper.

Captain Rob of the CAPTREE PRINCESS caught some big 'alberts and bones' along with Bo' size sea bass, cod and scup on Fridays trip. What a difference from fluke fishing in Great South Bay during the last week to now steaming off the beach for this mixed bag.....

ImageImage

Yesterday, Maria former chef on the VOYAGER and a former crew member and boat craftsman on the VOYAGER and LADY M, Lou, and how they are keeping busy in Key West. Maria said to me that she had her biggest African Pompano the other day, and Lou with a good size southern porgy, caught on what looks to be a type of flat-fall jig.....

Captain Jason Colby of LITTLE SISTER charters, Westport, MA.. finally got over his latest blackfish reports, and togging only gets better as the waters chill during the rest of October. Thankfully there is still enough striped bass around to mix in during the fishing day especially if the weather turns snotty.

October typically starts off the tog season in all seriousness....

"Not that September did not have it's moments but when the fish are first moving in they are more "up and down" which was evident by the last 3 days of weaker fishing. Entirely "weather related" but when the fish get on a tear, there is very little that can slow down the bite. Since the last report we have had 1/2 limits to 3/4 limits (Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday) on the blackfish front.

The downturn started with the nasty southwest winds of Monday and Tuesday (yes, we fished in that crap on Tuesday with 8+ foot seas!) followed by the heavy northerly winds and high pressure on Wednesday and Thursday. Not that it was "all bad.

Jackie had her limit yesterday and had the three best fish of the day out fishing some pretty experienced toggers on her first try! Jackie said she grew up fishing so she is a natural. I say she has to bait her own hooks next time! Yesterday mornings bass outing in the river was quite busy with about 20 stripers boated along with many slot fish, only keeping the limit.

As for open boat openings (by reservation only) in the next couple of weeks. There are still a couple of spots left for this Sunday 10/03, several spots for "Fishing with Dalton" on 10/05, 3 Spots left for 10/07 tog (7am)/1 spot for "The Combo Deal" (4am) "Dalton Daze" on 10/12 has 4 spots AND, 10/14 has 4 spots available for 7am tog.....'''

I spoke with Marc FISHARK over at FISHARK ADVENTURES last night and said that he took the two open spots on the ANNE B for the charter this Friday, and said that the Great Captain Nate not only did a very easy haddock limit, but with some noticeably bigger haddock in the catch which you can clearly see in the tote, and added in some of the largest pollock of the season and a few cod making the 'market' size grade, and that they were almost a nuisance as they returned what would be a party boat limit in the amount caught on this trip.

With few if any dogs around, bait was king and Marc said that it was 90/10 bait to jigs, and with the amount of big pollock around, but that jigs were actually causing more smaller or dink-size pollock to hit them and Marc said that they used fresh big mackerel - up to 2 lbs which was being caught and used as well as well as fresh squid.

Fishing was conducted in very reasonable GOMaine depths, with the hot zone for loading up was in less than 30 fathoms. Marc added that Captain Nate had a few boxes of fish to cut, and he this did before the ANNE B got in, and then was able to enjoy some steaks that Marc brings on these special trips, and of course it was special with Marc's wife onboard who also caught her share of big groundfish.....

The hot fishing continues on the JAMES JOSEPH fleet with Captain Jimmy and Captain James on both the day and late afternoon trips, and those who are looking to catch the big blues, now is the time....

Finally, Nicks lobster report was a good one yesterday, and this is all done within Garden State waters to put together a limit catch of 1 and 3/4 pound plus bugs picking his gear. He did add though that tog fishing was "not all that" with only short tog being caught where he pulled his traps. Either way, this will be a good amount of lobster to enjoy with the family over this weekend....

EC NEWELL MAN

PreviousNext

Return to SURF FORUM