Catching fish with wings

Have a question concerning fishing or what equipment you might need? Have any fishing related comments or insite this is your forum.

Catching fish with wings

Postby GCjetski » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:40 am

Had a chilled out day on the harbour last week targetting Gurnard, a seriously tasty fish with wings!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu9zvuWUl64
GCjetski

Re: Catching fish with wings

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:06 am

What we here on the east coast of the US call a sea robin, in Europe and other nations are part of the Gurnard family. Yours though is a combination of our common northern brown inshore sea robin and the offshore red-colored deep drop winged fish. A summer fish which is caught on any type of bait or small lure which is just a bycatch when summer flounder fishing and discarded when caught, but some people do eat these darker-flesh - curious looking critters. This sea robin obviously shows a neat aqua outline along its wing......

Last edited by EC NEWELL MAN on Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EC NEWELL MAN

Postby GCjetski » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:28 pm

Interesting! how is the eating quality of the sea robin? the Gurnard we catch have nice white meat and extremely good eating flavour. Definately look to be part of the same family though
GCjetski

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:08 pm

Decent eating fish, but no where near as good as a black sea bass, haddock, winter flounder or even trigger fish.

I do believe the Europeans treat them and enjoy these fish much more than we do as seen by this article in the UK Independent:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 12331.html

I also believe most any fish where you make a fine sauce, whether with a butter-lemon base or a heavier cream base - which I would prefer for eating these fish...in my humble opinion.
EC NEWELL MAN

Postby cgreene » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:42 pm

Great video! Beautiful fish. Ive never caught one of those before. I only catch fishes that I can eat.
cgreene

Return to GENERAL FISHING FORUM