JUNE 22, 2020 - THE 'RENDOVA ISLAND' - A PARTY BOAT THAT STARTED IN CONEY ISLAND

A forum dedicated to posting links of FISHING NEWS gathered from various news sources along with MARITIME stories and images from the past.
Forum rules
Fishing News Links, along with Back in the Day Maritime Images will be placed here.

JUNE 22, 2020 - THE 'RENDOVA ISLAND' - A PARTY BOAT THAT STARTED IN CONEY ISLAND

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:26 pm

I like to thank Captain Nicky Cannisi for a history lesson here about a party boat from "Back in the Day" that originally sailed out of Coney Island. For those who are wondering about the Coney Island fishing fleet, there was a few fishing vessels that sailed out of Coney Island Creek, this vessel was owned by Nicky's dad, Joe.

As Captain Nicky told me, this vessel was originally a 'rum runner' that his dad had bought post WWII that sailed out of Coney Island. This party boat was the original 'MARY' and was purchased out of Montauk NY.

As Mel and Mike noted in Mike's Memorabilia, this vessel was built in 1930 in Brooklyn, NY as Captain Mattie Best's "MISCHIEF" who sailed out from Babylon, NY as their was no Captree State Park at that time. Years later she ended up in Captree with this image from the late 1970s when she was running charters out of the same location.

One of the neat historical facts about this vessel was that it was noted as a high powered vessel that originally had a big wind shield and had a 600 hp gas engine, and there was a very good reason why. Remember that we mentioned "rum runner," and that the speed was need to get away from the US Revenue Cutters which would stop, search, seize and a number of times, purposely sink these vessels right in sight of a shoreline.

I never knew of, or heard about this party/charter boat, but as Captain Nicky left off, "it was a very good boat."
EC NEWELL MAN

Return to FISHING NEWS LINKS & BACK IN THE DAY STORIES & MARITIME IMAGES