JUNE 19, 2020 - MY FRIEND CAPTAIN JEFF GUTMAN

Important breaking news in the fisheries and in the various forums.

JUNE 19, 2020 - MY FRIEND CAPTAIN JEFF GUTMAN

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:27 am

EC NEWELLMAN

Re: JUNE 19, 2020 - MY FRIEND CAPTAIN JEFF GUTMAN

Postby JohnnySI » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:39 pm

Sad really sad Jeff was my favorite Captain on any of the boats that i have ever set foot on,definitley one of good ones who will be missed........Johnny
JohnnySI

Postby reddgarvey » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:16 pm

Capt Jeff and crew member Dominic Wines

Very sad to hear. Captain Jeff certainly one of the best and patient captains I ever had pleasure to fish on his boat.

First tiles and tuna caught on the Voyager with Captain Jeff.
My first tile fish trip using a 8' BA-Cod rod, Newell 5?? and 7# sash weight, Captain Jeff blew the horn 5+minutes ago, asking from above "You got a fish"?

"No, I got a 7# sash weight", he waited patiently and I did not throw my setup over-board.
My day improved after that with the help of crew and others onboard.
Lots of good memories with Capt. Jeff and the Voyager crew
RIP Captain Jeff
Last edited by reddgarvey on Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
reddgarvey

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:33 pm

Redd Garvey...

Thank you for this personal story about Jeff...
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby nickh » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:28 pm

This man was driven to deliver cutting edge box filling fishing that were adventures. He was at the forefront of all the deep drop fishing, steaming way off the the cod wrecks, nantucket, block......and beyond. It will take a miracle for anyone to replace Jeff’s drive and the professionalism that came along with his operation. A first class fisherman. Rest In Peace Capt.
nickh

Postby fishark531 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:00 am

Although I never met the man (my loss) I feel like I know him now based on all the testimonials I have read on Facebook, my site and Fishing United. I feel the pain people feel thru their words. A monumental loss to the Industry and especially his loyal customers, friends and family. An unreplacable loss and I am so sorry for all his friends and especially you Steve

Rest In Peace Captain
fishark531

Postby jjdbike » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:55 am

I am in denial, still can not believe it. I had no idea he had any type of physical elements let alone cancer, but then again, Jeff wasn't one to complain. He always seemed of full of life and vital.

Jeff was my very favorite caption to fish with. He was (I have a good deal of trouble typing was) an amazing combination of absolutly outstanding captain / fisherman and a genuinely nice guy. His passion for fishing, attention to detail, and drive to put people on bites and fish in coolers was unmatched. I've also noticed that a boat's clientele generally reflects the character and attitude of the captain and crew. Never was that so evident as it was on the Voyager. Jeff has so many regulars who are skilled fisherman, generous, fun to fish with and of course, nice. Also a couple characters who also made it interesting and fun. I could fill a journal about how much I learned from Jeff, his crew and his clients.

I have so many great memories of fishing with him. Every time my fishing fiends & I get together or converse there's always a, "... remember that time on the Voyager when ..."

As Nick said, he leaves nearly unfillable shoes behind. He will be sorely missed.

Thoughts and prayers to his family, friends and crew.

Rest In Peace Jeff Gutman.
JD
jjdbike

Return to ANNOUNCEMENTS