SEPT 11, 2019 - CAPTAIN JIMMY SCHNEIDER: PERSONAL THOUGHTS ON 9/11

Important breaking news in the fisheries and in the various forums.

SEPT 11, 2019 - CAPTAIN JIMMY SCHNEIDER: PERSONAL THOUGHTS ON 9/11

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:30 am

I have written every year about this very day, and I feel it is best to hear the stories from others on what happened...and most of all for everyone to remember and grieve over people we have never met.

Thank you Captain Jimmy Schneider - JAMES JOSEPH 2 - HUNTINGTON
====================

It wasn’t until 2007 that the depth of this horrific day began to come full circle and I personally allowed myself to begin to heal ...I owe it all to a six year old girl .

On my way in piloting the James Joseph 2 into the harbor and past the lighthouse there was a knock on the wheelhouse door and in stepped a beautiful young lady and her six year old daughter...slightly over dressed for a fishing trip their features matched exactly .

“ I’d like to thankyou for a something “ ...she said in the kindest sweetest voice I’ve ever heard .

I responded as usual that I had hoped they caught a lot of fish and had a nice day .

“ I was on your boat once before a little over six years ago working in the financial district in lower Manhattan when the 9/11 attacks began and I was terrified “

...she went on to say her voice cracking with every other word ...

” I came to the waters edge at the heliport at 34 st and there was this boat ...I was seven months pregnant and I’d like you to meet my daughter ... I was afraid I’d loose the baby that day but your crew was so kind they held my hand and got me off the boat safely on the queens side through a gate that your crew cut with a bolt cutters ...I walked away never saying thank you.”

I turned and gave them both a hug and have to admit I turned and fountains of tears poured from my face in a flush of emotion . I know my story is only one and people are hurting, kids are growing up without fathers, sons brothers and sisters. Brianne Kelly Violanti this is for you in honor of your dad that is missed and loved and to Jake Jogada raised on the James Joseph from age 11 that also was taken on that day ...

God bless America

EC NEWELLMAN

Return to ANNOUNCEMENTS