Dive boat catastrophe in CA

An online blog made up of a mix of fishing issues, events, regulations, and the political arena written by EC NEWELL MAN and others. It may be politically incorrect and definitely a reality check on and about fishing and politics. Enter the 'SPIN ZONE' to discuss the topics put forward by EC & the FISHING UNITED CREW!
Forum rules
LETS STAY ON TOPIC HERE & DISCUSS ONLY THE TOPICS STARTED IN THE MAIN THREAD.

Dive boat catastrophe in CA

Postby nickh » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:34 pm

A lot went wrong here.
The crew escaped, but the passengers were locked down below!?
nickh

Re: Dive boat catastrophe in CA

Postby YankeeCapts » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:23 pm

I listened to the radio calls. I’m certain I heard the person on the radio said ”blocked”.

If they had mixed gas tanks on board then that’s a accelerant.

Very sad
YankeeCapts

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:05 pm

From what is now coming out through various USCG, news and other sources:

Thirty-nine people were aboard a 75-foot diving vessel named Conception when it departed from the Santa Barbara Harbor at 4 a.m. on Saturday.......

- Captain abandoned ship

- Left 34 POBs (persons on board) below decks in the fire

- Nobody made it off, (but 5 crew members survived)

- Burnt almost to the waterline

- No fire suppression system on a inspected, live onboard charter vessel

- Boat sank 20 yards off the shore in 64 feet of water

Thanks to Nicky who passed along this information:

Attribution: CALIFORNIA DIVING NEWS - info & specs of this vessel

An old incident that this vessel was involved in:

April 07, 2005 at 05:18:34: Wrecked boat out 6 months for repair... replacing a ravaged hull and a torn-away bow

Wednesday morning the weather took a turn for the better, if only long enough for the tug boat to bring Conception into Ventura Harbor where she was lifted into the safety of a repair yard. Everyone involved in the salvage effort can now breathe a small sigh of relief. It has been exactly one week since the Conception was abandoned on the rocky shore along Vandenberg Air Force Base.
While it will take a long time (we estimate four to six months) to bring Conception back to pristine condition the amount of effort it has taken to get her this far has been enormous. It is truly astounding that a wooden boat could be stranded for so long on a rocky beach, yet the boat endured and work continued until she was saved.

EC NEWELLMAN

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:46 pm

Just doing a little more research and came up with a few interesting bits of information..

Such a horrible tragedy that’s certainly going to change the face of regulations on the often overlooked inspected plastic vessels.

DIVER.NET (3.2005) A thief made off with one of Santa Barbara's most popular dive boats early Wednesday morning, crashing into and partially sinking a fishing boa

HULL TRUTH: PICTURES OF FIRE & BURNT DOWN TO THE WATERLINE

Take this from where it is coming from....the Fake News Network...

Further comments on socialized media mention of LI-Ion battery/cells - charging explosion to a propane explosion, along with this comment which seems to be a common note by those who have been on this particular vessel:

The boat is similar to many in that the single staircase from the berthing area leads to the galley. There’s a second escape trunk but it’s small and not generally “on the Radar” of people. There’s no door at the top of the stairs.

A horrendous tragedy from what I have read so far, and I believe it is best to wait for the investigation to draw any conclusions without having any testimony from the crew (captain plus for deckhands) and the forensic evidence.

I agree on one point....the USCG will react and promulgate for more stringent regulations to this type of entrance/exit setup onboard vessels with lower deck sleeping compartments.
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby nickh » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:36 pm

34 dead. Insane.
nickh

Return to ECs WHEELHOUSE - 'SPIN ZONE'