JULY 9, 2019 - NYS DEC: NYS FFL GEORGE LaPOINTE DOSSIER TO BE REVEALED TONIGHT - HERE IS ESSENTIALLY WHAT HAPPENED TONIGHT (LINK FOR FULL REPORT FOUND HERE)

Important breaking news in the fisheries and in the various forums.

JULY 9, 2019 - NYS DEC: NYS FFL GEORGE LaPOINTE DOSSIER TO BE REVEALED TONIGHT - HERE IS ESSENTIALLY WHAT HAPPENED TONIGHT (LINK FOR FULL REPORT FOUND HERE)

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:36 pm

For those interested and have a stake in the NYS FFL permit process, or looking toward the future if there is much of a future here......
===============================

Please consider this a reminder for tonight's public meeting being held at Stony Brook University's Wang Center. (Map posted below)

For those of you who are unable to attend in person, you can listen in via webinar and the instructions are as follows:

The live audio from this meeting will be available for the public.

To join the online meeting:

• Step 1. Click on Commercial Licensing Assessment Review Meeting. (link leaves DEC's website)

• Step 2. Enter your name and email address.

• Step 3: Click "Join".

Alternatively, if you don't have internet access, you can join the meeting by calling:

• (518) 549-0500 (Local) or 1-844-633-8697 (Toll Free).
Note: These are NYS.gov numbers also used by other agencies, thus the reason why you have to follow the step below for the meeting ID #...

Then enter Meeting ID # 641 967 793 .

GO HERE (I do hope this works):

Commercial Licensing Assessment Review Meeting - 6:00 pm - 10:00 pm Tuesday, July 9, 2019

EC NEWELLMAN

Re: JULY 9, 2019 - NYS DEC: NYS FFL GEORGE LaPOINTE DOSSIER TO BE REVEALED TONIGHT

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:38 pm

What a dog-poop show at the Stonybrook building tonight for the George LaPointe dossier on the NYS FFL recommendations for modernizing the commercial NYS Food Fish License system!

If you did not get there before 6 pm, you were locked out until 6:45 at the building until the campus police came and opened the doors. Yes, all the doors were locked to the building as the meeting went on.

There was also an issue with the NYS website to see the presentation, but as we can count on the sun rising in the morning and setting in the evening, the website was given this message. You have to call in and listen.

I caught the start of the question and answer system and it is getting pretty feisty to say the least. As of this time, John German, Pete Lizza and Mark Harrington of Newsday asked a number of questions and there were no good answers provided by George...only "recommendations."

The magic 8-ball answer to what is going to happen is that there will be more questions than answers after the meeting!

EC NEWELLMAN

Re: JULY 9, 2019 - NYS DEC: NYS FFL GEORGE LaPOINTE DOSSIER TO BE REVEALED TONIGHT

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:43 pm

That was quick, as the show was over a little past 7;35... A top ten of what I heard on my phone.

First, the link "supposedly" to see the report:

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/114231.html

Second would be the comment made by MRAC commercial councilor John Davie; "George is not telling us something which is not new," along with the statement of "322 latent licenses in question."

Third is one of the big questions which was answered with the "Use it or Lose it Provision," which is 3 yrs, 15k for qualifying/maintaining.

Fourth...for those wondering, 35 people in the audience.

Fifth...George constantly repeating, "this is my recommendation."

Six...TJ going back at John on "George gathered the information from the fishing community."

Seven... George, "valuing the NYS FFL is incredibly complex."

Eight...George, "no buyback, lack of funding."

Nine..."NYS 'FFL' is a misnomer, should be called a NYS Commercial Fishing License."

Ten...George will be attending four meetings and his work is done.

The next meeting will be held at the same location on the date listed and the doors will be left open. Great!

I would highly recommend for those who are interested, to check on the link and read the report once it is posted.

EC NEWELLMAN

Re: JULY 9, 2019 - NYS DEC: NYS FFL GEORGE LaPOINTE DOSSIER TO BE REVEALED TONIGHT - HERE IS ESSENTIALLY WHAT HAPPENED TONIGHT

Postby MisterX » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:27 am

I dont disagree with the "use it or lose it" approach

However

Those FFLs that are forfeited because of "inactivity" should go into a pool and be reissued to some of these younger guys with alot of time on the water who seem to be overlooked! Not encouraging a younger generation of commercial fisherman is foolish and short sighted!
"When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others" - Chinese Proverb
MisterX

Re: JULY 9, 2019 - NYS DEC: NYS FFL GEORGE LaPOINTE DOSSIER TO BE REVEALED TONIGHT - HERE IS ESSENTIALLY WHAT HAPPENED TONIGHT

Postby pennh2o » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:17 am

Problem with that is NY's insufficient quotas. We are already fighting to split a crumb. In order to give new FFLs to people who will use them, NY must receive more of the total quota. Can't talk about handing out new FFLs without discussing what that will do to the current commercial fisherman who are struggling to stay on the water.
pennh2o

Postby captainjp » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:14 am

not all but many licenses are latent because you can’t catch enough fish, due to limits not availability, to actually earn enough money to support yourself. I would love to use mine everyday but I’d be taking a substantial pay cut
captainjp

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:46 pm

captainjp » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:14 am

Not all but many licenses are latent because you can’t catch enough fish, due to limits not availability, to actually earn enough money to support yourself. I would love to use mine everyday but I’d be taking a substantial pay cut

Well said JP, and as a few of you know since I was on the phone today with some NYS FFL holders, this is going to take everyone getting involved, as I doubt many will like what they read here. Thanks to Frank for giving me an official copy and I posting the direct link here for anyone to read through.

If I could recommend to those who have a stake here...MAKE A PUBLIC COMMENT!

New York Marine Fisheries Licensing Review - July 2019

EC NEWELLMAN

Re: JULY 9, 2019 - NYS DEC: NYS FFL GEORGE LaPOINTE DOSSIER TO BE REVEALED TONIGHT - HERE IS ESSENTIALLY WHAT HAPPENED TONIGHT (LINK FOR FULL REPORT FOUND HERE)

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:18 am

Mark Harrington from Newsday finally wrote this on the first of four of the LaPointe NYS FFL stakeholder meetings.

Essentially George is pointing out the fact that this is about cutting licenses and now setting a firm "use it or lose it monetary threshold for yearly NYS FFL renewal..."

“It wasn’t about market share,” Lapointe said. “I was focusing on licensing issues. … It was not about growing the fishery.”

Summed up as George stated at the meeting:

Lapointe’s recommendation that income be used to determine who is a commercial fisherman would look at each fisherman’s fishing-related income over three years to determine eligibility for a license.

Those who can’t show three years of fishing income of over $15,000 each year would not be able to renew their licenses.

NEWSDAY (7.11.10) Consultant: State should not renew licenses if commercial fishermen can't show minimum income
EC NEWELLMAN

Re: JULY 9, 2019 - NYS DEC: NYS FFL GEORGE LaPOINTE DOSSIER TO BE REVEALED TONIGHT - HERE IS ESSENTIALLY WHAT HAPPENED TONIGHT (LINK FOR FULL REPORT FOUND HERE)

Postby local seafood » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:59 am

I was at the meeting other day at stony brook I think every one took the meeting that we where going to be able to state are arguments with what George had to say it was just suppose to be to here what he recommended but I will tell u it was not as informative as I think every one thought it was going to be a lot of guys realy where disappointed in what they herd to realy understand what he recommended you have to read the report

but from a guy that has been in the fishing industry for 20 years and one of the younger guys the older guys are afraid of getting those valuable lic's the way I see it is that this is just another way of shutting out us out of those lic's and from a stand point from a guy that only hopes to have another 25 to 30 years in an industry that he loves we realy need to come together and fight for whats right on this one WE in new York state need to stop the crap with the I and start fighting for more of what WE disserve equal rights to far quota and I don't see that happening when every time something comes up we always talk cuts just to prove my point we want cuts to lic's and to show more income but we get the card in mail other day that closes that and the fluke guys get 280 quota makes me sick
local seafood

Postby scupper » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:42 pm

Those licenses that the State is proposing to take away have been hard EARNED by a lifetime of hard work , blood , sweat and tears ....
Many of us will be darned to watch the State try and take away what been a lifetimes worth of effort .............
scupper

Next

Return to ANNOUNCEMENTS