JULY 5, 2019 - JUST A QUICKIE TO SHOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE LAV 10 AND ANGERMAN 10 & 12

Everything from building rods to maintaining reels. Also an area to share your vintage tackle stories and pictures.

JULY 5, 2019 - JUST A QUICKIE TO SHOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE LAV 10 AND ANGERMAN 10 & 12

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:02 pm

Thanks to Jim D. for getting this started when he stopped off at Surfland and picked up a few different Angerman jigs which I will show here as soon as I get them in my hands. Again I should point out that LAV jigs are being produced and easy to buy at, and during the winter shows or online at NORTH ATLANTIC JIGS.

I doubt there is much difference these days in choosing an Angerman over a LAV or even Solvroken, though I was told today that vast majority of halibut in the GOMaine this season have been caught on Solvroken or Solvroken-knockoffs in 2019. With the size of most of the groundfish we catch, that being cod, pollock and haddock being smaller than a few years ago, I doubt either of these jigs will make a big difference in what you pull in your cooler by the end of the trip.

In talking with a good friend who worked on the Viking, I said I typically stay within the 10 to 12 oz range with my choice of jigs, and normally if I need more than 12 ounces I jump to 16 oz jig, normally the chrome flattened shape that we saw with the old S&G jigs. The heaviest jigs I bring along are 17.5 oz or 500g as I try to avoid swinging a bigger jig then that size for a good portion of a trip. I would switch out to my bait rig then when you need that much heavier of a jig.

Here are a few pics below, with the last one showing the Angerman X (10 which weights 12 oz) with the Angerman 12 - which is also heavier than its stated weight. I have found the Solvroken chrome 99 which initially I was disappointed with since they are not made with through wire and nor nickel plated (thus 99N) are an extremely productive jig to use during the Nantucket trips. This does not mean you have to purchase this particular jig, as I have also seen regular heavy chrome and hammered jigs in a similar size work just as well. It is another option if you want something different in the tackle box that is proven to catch fish.

One point to mention here is what will happen in using regular diamond jigs and pounding the bottom is that you will notice the eye on the bottom of the jig being twisted, crushed, flattened or the eye broken from pounding on the bottom all day. This is something to consider on whether its worth using these jigs when the bottom you're fishing over is gnarly/craggy. I feel they have their moments, and I will use them and toss them away when the eye is so damaged or broken even if these are the original S&G 97 or 12 oz.

For those looking for one all around heavier jig, the 14 oz, or 400g Solvroken which was a favorite in the GOMaine for a number of years on the YANKEE CAPTS, being the one jig I would bring along. I have seen them catch "more than" their share of cod and pollock on the Nantucket trips lately and they tend to hold bottom decently in 40 fathoms and deeper until the current starts to move along.

Note: In the first image, the middle jigs are Angerman X while the jigs next to them old original LAV jigs. Second pic is the newer chrome plated LAV 10. As we noted earlier, the third pic shows a Angerman X next to an Angerman 12.

EC NEWELLMAN

Re: JULY 5, 2019 - JUST A QUICKIE TO SHOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE LAV 10 AND ANGERMAN 10 & 12

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:36 pm

I like to thank Jim D. for doing the footwork and writing with the info on pricing.

Note, I have said before that I prefer smaller jigs and notice what Jim gives for the weights of these jigs....beside the price.

I noticed that these are significantly smaller in size & heavier than similar jigs (e.g LAV & Solvkroken).

I'm assuming a little less action but sink faster & hold better in current.

The breakdown on the pricing of these jigs with pricing...

A8 - 2 jigs = 31.00 - A8 is 12.3 oz (@15.50 a jig)

D8 - 1 jig* = 15.50 - D8 is 10.3 oz

A9 - 1 jig* = 16.50 - A9 is 11.3 oz

Add in + 6.25% sales tax

EC NEWELLMAN

Re: JULY 5, 2019 - JUST A QUICKIE TO SHOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE LAV 10 AND ANGERMAN 10 & 12

Postby nickh » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:20 pm

Those slovkroken will "smoosh" down after a long day on George's or the shoals and prevent the split ring from swinging freely. A "cockeyed" jig will be the result.
nickh

Postby nickh » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:21 pm

Removing the split ring and hammering it straight with a tapered pin will get it back in shape.
nickh

Postby nickh » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:21 pm

AFA777E2-7010-4B1A-8CFD-1ADAEC705DDE.jpeg
4C71615A-9FFC-4A09-BE1C-AE9CDF2B505A.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nickh

Postby nickh » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:25 pm

BBD0087C-1C02-461A-B635-012D63FA1C63.jpeg
And if anyone can identify the jig on the far left.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nickh

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:07 am

Nice work Nick. I glad you have showed a pounded in point on the Solvroken jig. Even the through wired jigs will have the loop bent out of shape. As much as you can do to keep the jig in service....
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby MisterX » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:49 am

The Solvroken jigs had nice plating but once the eye was bent (per Nicks photo's) they lost their action.

With regards to jig weight, When we would power drift over some of the noted "Whale Cod" wrecks, I would use the heaviest jig I could find. Usually it was a 20oz diamond jig. We used to joke that fist one to the bottom wins! Was usually true when tide was running and you had a very short period over the wreck.You caught a 20-30lber and you were disappointed! We were spoiled back then.
"When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others" - Chinese Proverb
MisterX

Return to FISHING TACKLE A-Z