MAY 31, 2019 - 1st DAY AT CONEY ISLAND & THE PIER: WHAT DOES THE UN-OFFICAL MRIP REPORT LOOK LIKE?

The 'After The Catch' zone where members can chat on topics that are not fishing related.
Forum rules
Respectful Debate Only!

MAY 31, 2019 - 1st DAY AT CONEY ISLAND & THE PIER: WHAT DOES THE UN-OFFICAL MRIP REPORT LOOK LIKE?

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Fri May 31, 2019 10:23 pm

What a beautiful day at the end of the month of May, and the perfect day to get down to Coney island and conduct my own informal MRIP data collection, and where do we start, but no better place than Coney Island Pier.

As it was in the afternoon I figured I would see the massive fleet of private vessels fluke fishing off Nortons, the Channel Can, and Flats as well as to the east with Brighton Beach, and lo and behold all I could see was just two little boats in this noted productive drifting area for summer flounder. Oh yes, another ghost fleet out catching em up as we can see in these pics, and as those who keep saying MRIP is getting better at what they are doing! HA!

Next was my usual walk up and down the United Nations pier, and for those who do not know...anything goes here as far as what comes over the rail then goes into the pail. But nothing on this day, and I was a little surprised that there was neither a crucified sea robin, skinned sun dial, or even a cannot properly measure fluke, oh I mean flounder in anyone's pail. Boo-hoo...

Then as luck would have it, calls for the gaff were made and one of Mike Frisk favorite fish came flying over and landed hard on the deck, and what could it be? Folks, that's perfectly fine eating fresh seafood in Warren Wilhelm's utopia and of course it will shortly be taking a MTA subway ride later on this day.

I was a little disappointed to say that for the time I was on the pier their was a dearth of any marine life being harvested this sunny afternoon. Even calico crabs..."nada" and "nyet" in using the lingo normally heard while walking along here.

Slightly depressed I had to venture down the broad walk and make my way past Lola Star (a once favorite stop for my daughter), Nathans on the Broadwalk, Coney Cones, Paul's Daughter and other fine Bloomberg approved culinary treat venues. Yes the Coney Island corn dog, as well as a Nathans big one (you know what I mean) with fries is a must when your here, though it now will make you reach much deeper into your wallet especially when one finds out that a 'corn on the cob' cost five dollars in 2019.

I was saving my appetite for some fine Bar-B-Que burgers tonight, something else caught not only my, but my sons attention on the beach, and nothing better than free adult entertainment. Right?

We made our way over and sat center stage on a wooden bench, and watched this performance artist enthrall us with her acts of flexibility on the tight rope for the next few minutes. But it was the following precision acts of balance which even had me quietly applauding. What fun I thought as I then was distracted by the Sea Queen off in the distance and making its way back along our obviously lightly fished fluke grounds here in Kings County. What did they catch. I wondered....no I didn't, as there was something more important to get back to.

Our attention was once again drawn to a performer who then completed a pretty nifty feat of one leg balance to the point in which she finally hit her majestic pose, satisfied in maintaining it for a few moments and then it all came to an end. The tightrope came down, her clothes were gathered up and put on before making her way to the broad walk. She then lifted up her little kick scooter and went off without a word or even any acknowledgement to those who stayed, watched and shook their head as I did, and we knew this was someone who had many hours of practice to do what she did in such a nonchalant way..

It was also time for us to leave as I doubt I would see at least a keeper fluke brought up within the next hour on the pier or for that matter, anything else as pleasurably entertaining as this tightrope performer. The summer has no doubt started and I will be doing my part in 2019 to help provide MRIP with information in what I see as far as effort and catch in this area...and I hope all of you out there do your part too and post pics of what you see when you're venturing around our NYC shoreline especially here in Coney Island.
EC NEWELLMAN

Return to 'SLACK WATER' BOARD