MAY 10, 2019 - CAPTAIN MONTY HAWKINS: READY TO GO FOR THE START OF SEA BASS SEASON!

Fishery Issues, Fishery Management, and the latest Fishery news.

MAY 10, 2019 - CAPTAIN MONTY HAWKINS: READY TO GO FOR THE START OF SEA BASS SEASON!

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Fri May 10, 2019 11:08 pm

The latest from Captain Monty Hawkins, owner and operator of the fv MORNING STAR out of OCEAN CITY, MD.

Well Sakes.. That was fast.

Mike Hastings changed cutlass bearings & wheels. We changed zincs and painted the bottom. Back over.

Have a barge loaded with 500 tons of precast concrete sitting near
Cape Charles

At the mouth of the Chesapeake. A bit less than 90 miles will put it where we want it - Capt. WillBilly’s Memorial Reef at the Bass Grounds will be the largest single reef built in my time as OCRF’s pres. With any luck at all it will be our tallest ever - have to get the barge still on her mooring & mound it up. Be a monster of a reef if wind and current hold steady through the deployment.

Sea bass open this Wednesday, May 15th.

Lots of openings after the 20th - reservation book is open till just after July 4th.

I see bluefin tuna regs have liberalized for party boats.. That could get interesting.

Wait and see if a bite shapes up inshore. Till then I’ll stick to advertised species - sea bass!

Cheers
Monty

EC NEWELLMAN

Return to REGULATORY/AQUACULTURE