MAY 10, 2019 - COD & HADDOCK: Proposed Rule for 2019 Groundfish Recreational Regulations in the Gulf of Maine and Georges Bank

Fishery Issues, Fishery Management, and the latest Fishery news.

MAY 10, 2019 - COD & HADDOCK: Proposed Rule for 2019 Groundfish Recreational Regulations in the Gulf of Maine and Georges Bank

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Fri May 10, 2019 7:56 pm

Proposed Rule for 2019 Groundfish Recreational Regulations in the Gulf of Maine and Georges Bank

NOTE: Regulatory changes (PROPOSED) 2019 - COD & HADDOCK

The comment period closes May 28, 2019

SUBMIT COMMENT (SUPPORT OF COURSE!) Fisheries of the Northeastern United States; Northeast Multispecies Fishery; Fishing Year 2019 Recreational Management Measures

EC NEWELLMAN

Re: MAY 10, 2019 - COD & HADDOCK: Proposed Rule for 2019 Groundfish Recreational Regulations in the Gulf of Maine and Georges Bank

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Sat May 11, 2019 9:27 am

From Captain Tim Tower - fv BUNNY CLARK, ME.

Saturday, May 11, 2019
New Cod & Haddock Regulations:

The new groundfish rules have come out for comment from the National Marine Fisheries Service for the Gulf of Maine (north of 42° north latitude).

These rules include:

1- A fifteen fish angler bag limit, an open season for haddock from April 15 to February 29 (March 1 thru April 14 would be the only part of the season closed to haddock fishing),

- A minimum legal size for haddock of seventeen inches and,

- A cod season with a bag limit of one cod per person from April 15 to April 30 (fifteen days) and from September 15 to September 30 (fifteen days).

- The minimum size for cod will be twenty-one inches.

These are the proposed rules. After the comment period is over, this could change.

But my feeling is that these rules will be embraced by everyone and it will go through as above. We shall see.

As far as the time certain when the new regulations will be in effect, I can't tell you that.

EC NEWELLMAN

Return to REGULATORY/AQUACULTURE