MAY 6, 2019 - GOMaine HANDGEAR: HALIBUT - POLLOCK - COD

News and fish talk from those in the Commercial fishing Industry.

MAY 6, 2019 - GOMaine HANDGEAR: HALIBUT - POLLOCK - COD

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Mon May 06, 2019 11:48 pm

Thanks to KD who passes pictures along that many of wish we were there with these groundfish!

EC NEWELLMAN

Re: MAY 6, 2019 - GOMaine HANDGEAR: HALIBUT - POLLOCK - COD

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Tue May 07, 2019 11:30 am

Good Tuesday morning...

If you notice in the image with the halibut, I was told not only has that one particular rod (seen in the 1st image) has had 4 halibut landed, but the stainless steel Norwegian style jig is one of the stainless jigs I shipped up to my friend who works on this vessel a while back, and it had caught this particular fish!

The point being made here since a number of fishermen I talk to about catching halibut in New England waters is more in putting a jig, piece of bait or teaser "drifting near where a halibut is on the bottom."

Already I have been told that a OE surgical tube has caught a halibut, this one when the teaser was over 100 feet of the bottom being squidded up for pollock and this fish on a OE Tackle stainless jacketed jig.

A note here....The original Rustfri Norwegian stainless steel jigs were rigged with the traditional rotating swivel with an open end eye that could be closed around the treble. These had a heavy strength rating and would hold up to the most severe use. Over the years a few fishermen would contact me about finding a supplier to obtain this piece of terminal tackle, and their were commercial fishing tackle suppliers in the US which did sell this type of swivel.

The question I asked them was"why would you want this type of specialty swivel," and the answer was that they did not like using a split ring on either end for the connection to the jig and the treble hook.

You can search online and find a few overseas commercial fishing tackle manufacturers which do make a similar swivel in which you slip one end on the split ring and the other end which you can use your pliers to close the open end eye.

Personally......no need for it, and I would highly recommend to buy heavy duty - 2x and 3x strength rated split rings from such noted tackle manufacturers as Spro or Owner Hyper Wire (I have these since I bought them at a really great price), but you can also find stainless split rings from the USA made Wolverine if you feel the need to use this specialty split ring. Even generic heavy duty double and triple stainless rings work fine...OE TACKLE uses them, I use them, and you will find them on the KROCs that you see in images here for fishing for striped bass and bluefish (yes made in China).

Keep it SIMPLE, and even though you may want to have the highest quality components on your diamond jig when ground fishing, you do not have be so neurotic in looking for the 'ultimate' type of tackle for bouncing a jig on the bottom in the GOMaine or on around the Great South Channel for halibut. From my files, more New England caught halibut have been caught on the hammered jig made by Big Mike which you can find here or purchase on eBay.

Remember you can purchase what you need in treble hooks, surgical tubing and then go about attaching it to your Norwegian style stainless jig.

EC NEWELLMAN

Return to COMMERCIAL FISHING FORUM