MAY 6, 2019 - USCG: Media Availability: U.S. Coast Guard, partner agencies to hold joint press conference on Coimbra operations (I would read this if you intend to fish in this area)

Important breaking news in the fisheries and in the various forums.

Re: MAY 6, 2019 - USCG: Media Availability: U.S. Coast Guard, partner agencies to hold joint press conference on Coimbra operations (I would read this if you intend to fish in this area)

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Wed May 08, 2019 11:23 am

UPDATED - MAY 8, 2019

NEW LONDON, Conn – The U.S. Coast Guard and New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, along with contracted Resolve Marine Group, continue to assess the tanker Coimbra located approximately 30 miles southeast of Shinnecock, N.Y.

Media interested in attending the press conference scheduled for Thursday morning at Station Fire Island should contact Chief Warrant Officer Allyson Conroy at 212-514-4292 or allyson.e.conroy@uscg.mil no later than 4 p.m., Wednesday. Media should be prepared to show press credentials upon arriving Station Fire Island.

To again highlight the reason for this survey work:

(Attribution: Coast Guard crew members work alongside New York State Department of Environmental Conservation and Resolve Marine Group to help assess the condition of the Coimbra wreck on April 30, 2019. The Coimbra was a supply ship owned by Great Britain when the ship was sunk off the coast of Long Island, during World War II by a German U-boat. (U.S. Coast Guard photo courtesy of Sector Long Island Sound)

At this time, survey will again explore the areas onboard the broken up Coimbra to assess the issue on the amount of oil still left in the tanks:

EC NEWELLMAN

Re: MAY 6, 2019 - USCG: Media Availability: U.S. Coast Guard, partner agencies to hold joint press conference on Coimbra operations (I would read this if you intend to fish in this area)

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Thu May 09, 2019 9:20 pm

UPDATE ON DIVE ASSESSMENT 9, 2019

A team of divers examining a sunken World War II tanker off Long Island's South Shore have found eight tanks containing oil, one with a pinhole through which oil has been leaking, officials said Thursday.

A week and a half into the five-week project, the team, with the assistance of a 6,000 pound remotely operated underwater vehicle, is assessing potential threats to the environment from the British tanker Coimbra.

NEWSDAY (MAY, 9, 2019) Coast Guard: Sunken World War II tanker off Long Island leaking oil - A salvage company is conducting the assessment of the Coimbra, which was shipwrecked 30 miles southeast of the Shinnecock Inlet after being torpedoed.

(Attribution: DVIDS: Coimbra, partner agencies assess tanker Coimbra wreck)

EC NEWELLMAN

Postby nickh » Fri May 10, 2019 8:01 am

A million dollar government assessment to prove what is already known.
Sounds about right. :lol:
nickh

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Fri May 10, 2019 9:51 am

nickh » Fri May 10, 2019 8:01 am

A million dollar government assessment to prove what is already known.

Sounds about right.

I said that to someone before 9am this morning.

Wreck has been down for 3/4s of a century...no environmental impact to marine life...oil dissipates over time, and other than for an unsightly rainbow sheen, who the heck of the millions of people on Long Island would even know this is going?

Your tax dollars at work....
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby bluefish69 » Fri May 10, 2019 12:43 pm

I was in the wheel house of the Jess Lu on the way back from a Cod & Pollack trip around the Texas Tower area when Jay Porter told me about this wreck burping oil. This was in the mid- late '60s. If this didn't do damage by now it will never do it.

Mike
Show me a man with both feet on the floor and I'll show you a man who can't get his pants on.
bluefish69

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Mon May 13, 2019 10:36 pm

UPDATE MAY 13, 2019

Courtesy Copy: U.S. Coast Guard, partner agencies offer ride to Coimbra wreck site

NEW HAVEN, Conn. - The U.S. Coast Guard is scheduling an opportunity for members of the media to embark a Coast Guard cutter and transit to the Coimbra wreck site 30 miles off the coast of Shinnecock, N.Y., May 16, for those interested in seeing the ongoing operations.

Media will embark the 110-foot Coast Guard Cutter Sanibel at the Coast Guard Academy in New London, Conn., transit four hours to the site, be on scene for about an hour with the Sheila Bordelon, and return to the Coast Guard Academy.

Members will have an opportunity to talk with a couple of different people directly involved in the operations including representatives from the U.S. Coast Guard and the project officer for Resolve Marine Group.

WHO:
• Lt. Cmdr. Jessie Diaz, Sector Long Island Sound;
• Mr. Aaron Jozef, HSQE, Coimbra Project Manager, Resolve Marine Group

WHAT:
Embark the Coast Guard Cutter Sanibel to transit to the Coimbra wreck site, 30 miles east of Shinnecock, NY.

WHERE:
Departing Coast Guard Academy, 15 Mohegan Ave, New London, CT

WHEN:
Thursday, May 16, 2019. Please be at the Coast Guard Academy ready to get underway by 7 a.m.

Note:
Any media attending should also be in good health and not require any special medical or physical accommodations. Please be advised this will be an all-day event. It will take approximately four hours to get to the site with about an hour at the site and a four hour transit back. For attendees, please wear comfortable, close-toed shoes, and dress for a day at sea.

The Coimbra was a supply ship owned by Great Britain during World War II. The Coimbra sank off the coast of Long Island after a German U-boat torpedoed the ship in Jan. 1942.

Media interested in this embark opportunity should contact:

Chief Warrant Officer Allyson Conroy at 212-514-4292 or Allyson.e.conroy@uscg.mil

No later than 4 p.m., Wednesday.

Media should be prepared to show press credentials upon arriving at the Coast Guard Academy.

EC NEWELLMAN

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Fri May 17, 2019 5:39 pm

From USCG Tri-state news release

Have you heard about the history taking place right off the coast of Long Island? The Coast Guard Cutter Sanibel transported people to the Resolve Marine Group ship #SheliaBordelon, which is situated directly above the British-flagged tanker Coimbra wreck. The Coimbra sank 77 years ago when a German U-boat torpedoed the tanker in January of 1942.

Today, a unified command consisting of the U.S. Coast Guard and the @NYSDEC contracted Resolve Marine Group to assess and access the World War II-era tanker that has been on the floor of the #AtlanticOcean for more than seven decades.

A crew of 51 people consisting of members from U.S. Coast Guard Sector Long Island Sound, #USCGnationalstrikeforce, @USNavy, and Resolve Marine Group all live aboard the Shelia Bordelon during the operations below the sea.
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Tue May 21, 2019 9:06 pm

UPDATED MAY 21, 2019

As seen on our local News 4 here in the city...

Work is underway to extract oil from a British tanker sunk by a German U-boat off Long Island's south shore during World War II. A team has been at the site of the tanker, named Coimbra, since April 29 and has pumped more than 62,000 gallons of oil since May 11.

Oil Being Extracted from Tanker Sunk off Long Island Coast by German U-Boat in WWII

EC NEWELLMAN

Return to ANNOUNCEMENTS