FEB 9, 2019 - CAPTAIN JAY PORTER: A FEW PICS

A forum dedicated to posting links of FISHING NEWS gathered from various news sources along with MARITIME stories and images from the past.
Forum rules
Fishing News Links, along with Back in the Day Maritime Images will be placed here.

FEB 9, 2019 - CAPTAIN JAY PORTER: A FEW PICS

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:48 pm

Thanks to Phil Salvato ('Philly Salvo) who not only worked for, but knew one of the most legendary codfish captains, not only on Long Island - Sheepshead Bay, but down south in Texas.

As Phil said, "the King and his wife." I believe this is a later picture taken post his years in Sheepshead Bay...

Maybe one of the most noted ships bells removed from a vessel in our region, the bell of the wreck Tennyson. Phil and other captains era were quoted as saying, once the bell was remove, the wreck never quite "pinged" on the scanner since that time. I spoke to one of the daughters who is living with Captain Jay Porter last wife and she told me about the dusty bell still sitting on the living room table. The Tennyson was noted for being a wreck of giving up 60 lb codfish on a regulatr basis, and the famous 64 pound cod is always mentioned by Phil when talking about the Tennyson...

A painting of the 'JESS LU III' - a bigger ASR vessel, pre 1965...

EC NEWELLMAN

Re: FEB 9, 2019 - CAPTAIN JAY PORTER: A FEW PICS

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:51 pm

An interesting article which I believe was posted in Long Island Newsday which was sent over to me from one of the Porter family members on the Tennyson bell...

EC NEWELLMAN

Return to FISHING NEWS LINKS & BACK IN THE DAY STORIES & MARITIME IMAGES