JAN 7, 2019 - THE SALE OF GPS NUMBERS FOR FISHING SPOTS: THE BIG CONTROVERSY OVER THIS VERY DETAILED BOOK OF SPOTS BEING PUBLICLY SOLD

Learn from the top wreck and bottom fisherman in the game! Full discussions on wreck fishing along with all things related to bottom fishing!!

JAN 7, 2019 - THE SALE OF GPS NUMBERS FOR FISHING SPOTS: THE BIG CONTROVERSY OVER THIS VERY DETAILED BOOK OF SPOTS BEING PUBLICLY SOLD

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:31 pm

This ad has been posted upon socialized media by the wife of a commercial fishermen who is no longer alive...from what it seems from the way the post is worded. I had originally seen this ad on a particular commercial fishery group since around the holidays, and for some reason it keeps popping up as the prices have been reduced. Why reduce the price for what such detailed information, is another story, but first let me post this notice without the contact info....

GPS Offshore Fishing Numbers
$150
New Smyrna Beach, FL

As my husband wanted, I have been selling copies of his GPS offshore fishing numbers from FL through NC. He was a full-time commercial fisherman in the South Atlantic Snapper Grouper Fishery for over 30 years. These collections have both TD and GPS numbers plus a description column with documentation of the catch or the bottom structure. They are priced according to the number of documented spots in each. They are available in both downloadable files and hard copy notebooks of which you receive both.

Note: Asked about - Any on the west coast? No sorry he never made it to the gulf... But he fished the heck out of the South Atlantic!

THE PRICES HAVE BEEN REDUCED FOR EVERYONE'S BENEFIT

With electronic sales you can have your file in a matter of minutes & your notebook 2-3 Day Priority Mailed. So if you want to go "FISHIN NOT LOOKIN"... these GPS Numbers are for you!

FLORIDA BOOKS:

1. St Augustine Area Book / 183#s / $200
2. St Augustine to Mayport / 266#s / $300
3. Flagler to Fernandina / 548#s / $600
4. Ponce Inlet to St Johns Inlet / 394#s / $450
5. Ponce North to Flagler & South to Titusville / 271#s / $300
6. Ponce Inlet to The Cape / 288#s / $300
7. Ponce Inlet to Sebastian / 314#s / $350
8. Ponce Inlet to Lake Worth Inlet / 364#s / $400
9. The Keys GPS Book / 261#s / $300

FLORIDA / GEORGIA BOOKS:

1. Mayport to Brunswick / 167#s / $200
2. St Augustine to Brunswick / 425#s / $500

SOUTH CAROLINA BOOKS:

1. St Augustine to Georgetown / 494#s / $550
3. Mayport to Georgetown / 236#s / $275
4. Edisto Inlet to Georgetown - Small Version / 125#s / $200
5. Edisto Inlet to Georgetown / 345#s / $400
6. New Book * Offshore of McClellanville, Murrells Inlet, Little River & Carolina Bch / 444#s / $500

NORTH CAROLINA BOOKS:

1. Masonboro Inlet to Beaufort Inlet / 118#s / $150
2. Cape Fear N. to Masonboro Inlet / 209#s / $250
3. Cape Fear S. to Little River Inlet / 137#s / $165
4. N. Cape Fear to S. Barden's Inlet / 140#s / $175
5. New Book * Offshore of Hatteras, Morehead, Wilmington & Topsail; Southport / 742#s / $800
==============================

Now this is some amount of critical and valuable fishing spots information here, but what is being presented here is a double edge sword.

The question which come to mind are:

1) Who does this benefit?

2) The implications of once so-called secret spots, now out in the public fishing realm and which will quickly receive more harvesting pressure...

3) The outlay of money and the up front cost or so-called investment that pays off the coming years for having such detailed spot info...

4) Would this make sense for the weekend warrior to purchase?

I just would remind anyone even thinking of spending their hard earned Benjamins, to think about the regulatory environment in the:

Specifically to pay attention to this page:

SAFMC: Fishing Closures Right Now - With 55 species to manage in just the snapper grouper complex alone, it can be difficult to keep track of when fishing is open or closed for certain species.....

Just to give you an idea at the start of 2019 and the SAFMC managed species open/closed for commercial and recreational:

Current Fishery Closures - COMMERCIAL:

Goliath Grouper, no possession or harvest allowed.

Speckled Hind, no possession or harvest is allowed.

Warsaw Grouper, no possession or harvest is allowed.

Nassau Grouper, no possession or harvest is allowed.

Northern Zone (NC-NY) Spanish Mackerel, closed effective November 4, 2018. Reopens March 1, 2019.

Red Snapper, closed effective December 15, 2018. Reopens July 8, 2019.

Shallow-Water Grouper, closed effective January 1, 2019. Reopens May 1, 2019.

Red Porgy, closed effective January 1, 2019. Reopens May 1, 2019.

Current Fishery Closures - RECREATIONAL:

Goliath Grouper, no possession or harvest allowed.

Speckled hind, no possession or harvest is allowed.

Warsaw grouper, no possession or harvest is allowed.

Nassau Grouper, no possession or harvest is allowed.

Snowy Grouper, closed effective September 1, 2018. Reopens May 1, 2019.

Blueline Tilefish, closed effective September 1, 2018. Reopens May 1, 2019.

Wreckfish, closed effective September 1, 2018. Reopens July 1, 2019.

Florida Keys/East Florida Hogfish, closed effective November 1, 2018. Reopens May 1, 2019.

Shallow-Water Grouper, closed effective January 1, 2019. Reopens May 1, 2019.

Red Snapper, could reopen the second weekend in July, if allowed by NOAA Fisheries

Or this little tidbit for all you deep droppers...

South Atlantic: Recreational Harvest of Golden Tilefish CLOSED in Federal Waters of the South Atlantic on August 28, 2018 (What is it 900 pcs for the 2019 season and still limited to 1 per person per day?)
=====================

There was also the point of views from commercial fishermen on the selling of important fishery spot information....

I am sorry this is wrong and fu-d up, if I was in your fisheries, I'd beat the piss out of you. Selling fishing secrets what a douche.....

To:

Why is wrong to sell a lifetime of knowledge, that's worth far more than a wore out boat and gear??

Finally to this last thought by a person commenting to the ad...

Nothing wrong with it at all..he earned those numbers..fished his ass off finding those numbers..those numbers made his career what he chooses to do with them is his choice..why not pass them on to a fellow fisherman..who will bust ass fishing those numbers as he did..

I've fished in MANY industries on the water..its all I have known my WHOLE life..and I've seen this is EVERY kind of fishery..so go ahead and try and beat the piss out of the next person who does this and watch yourself get that ass wuped lol! Good luck selling lady!

=====================

Interestingly enough, I was contacted through email and text about the selling of this fishery spot information. I gave it some thought and wondered if it does anyone good other then the seller....and maybe rightfully so for the wife to make some quick money on the initial sales in certain areas in the SAFMC mgmt. region.

If I can pass anything along from being around wreck fishing for many decades...and I would imagine there would be others who have invested their lives in looking for, and depending upon special spots in order to put sponsors on their for-hire vessels or product in their fish boxes....

Once spots such as these get out especially in the deep - put a mark through it......

My best recommendation would be if you do spend some money in buying any spots, use them as a guide to get you into areas you normally would not steam out to or fish. Spend the time in doing YOUR OWN LOOKING AROUND for new hangs and obstructions, and these will pay better dividends over the years.

Just think about the information that is now available on fishing charts and online sources and say to yourself how productive they are these days. If you know where to search on the world wide web, you would be surprised in what you can find to give a good start in poking around to find your own grouper - snapper - wreckfish - tilefish honey holes.... and then remember that for most of the calendar year they are essentially catch and release fisheries (see above)!

I hope this post provides some "wise council" on this topic, and I do wish the wife well in her photocopying and electronic email venture, or more so endeavor going forward...............
EC NEWELLMAN

Re: JAN 7, 2019 - THE SALE OF GPS NUMBERS FOR FISHING SPOTS: THE BIG CONTROVERSY OVER THIS VERY DETAILED BOOK OF SPOTS BEING PUBLICLY SOLD

Postby whitechin » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:18 pm

Given that a lot of this fishing is natural bottom, I feel it is valuable. Many of these numbers likely have good bottom nearby unlike say a wreck which may have nothing around for miles. When we fish off Morehead, we can stay in a one or two mile circle for the whole day, making 5 or 6 drops and catching fish on all of them. If this was offered when I was retiring down that way, I would probably buy them to give me a starting point.
whitechin

Re: JAN 7, 2019 - THE SALE OF GPS NUMBERS FOR FISHING SPOTS: THE BIG CONTROVERSY OVER THIS VERY DETAILED BOOK OF SPOTS BEING PUBLICLY SOLD

Postby Jiggy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:06 pm

Very interesting post, Steve. I’m struggling to form an opinion on this matter because my heart wants to side with the commercial fisherman who rely on this for a livelihood. At the same time, if i’m being objective i don’t know how we can fault him for trying to profit in a free market economy.

Fishing is a such a unique industry in the production-based economy where there is little to no protection of proprietary data via patents (which play a key role for many companies by allowing them to capatilize on a product they spent a great deal of resources on to develop). Unfortunately, there is no way to protect the proprietary information from a fisherman - especially when it comes to bottom fishing.

Thanks for posting and considering both sides of the argument. Makes you think critically
Jiggy

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:22 am

Jiggy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 - Fishing is a such a unique industry in the production-based economy where there is little to no protection of proprietary data via patents (which play a key role for many companies by allowing them to capitalize on a product they spent a great deal of resources on to develop). Unfortunately, there is no way to protect the proprietary information from a fisherman - especially when it comes to bottom fishing.

Thanks for posting and considering both sides of the argument. Makes you think critically

I see both sides these days as first, I am older and consider and measure my thoughts before letting go in public...and the second point being that this is the wife who probably was given the "do what you have to do with my stuff when I am no longer here" from the husband.

Since I have been around wreck numbers since the advent of Loran C back in the late 1970s, I have seen as you stated, PROPRIETARY DATA go from the proverbial G-16 top secret, to now being extremely readily available if you either know where to look or have buddies in the fishing business.

Heck, Whitechin is right in one sense....

Much of the bottom fishing once you get below Hatteras is done along ledges, hard edges, drop offs, low coral and craggy bottom. Unlike what we are very used to see up off the shores of southern Rhode Island and Massachusetts as well in the GOMaine where you see distinct hard bottom structure that comes up, it is noticeably different from NC on south...and that requires someone to actually go poking around with a good bottom machine to locate.

These days with the limits in the SAFMC and GOMex, the most a recreational fishermen will have is a confirmed area to go prospecting around and bring home a dinner. For a commercial fellow, it will be different as most have many years in the industry as well as permits and for species, allocation to harvest.

The walk away point that everyone should remember?

The world and thus what is on the bottom of off our shores, is getting much smaller each and every day. At this stage in my life I can say that I am glad I saw it as this phenomena was developing, and now to pay it forward to the next guys and gals who think they are going to find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow when it comes to catching fish.
EC NEWELLMAN

Return to WRECK & BOTTOM FISHING CENTRAL