NOV 22, 2018 - HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL

Important breaking news in the fisheries and in the various forums.

NOV 22, 2018 - HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:15 pm

My thoughts are enjoying this day with family and great friends without worrying about all the other daily events going on in our daily lives. This morning before running out (literally) to the bakery, I saw the picture and read the story in the THE DAILY SIGNAL on the actual origins in giving "thanks" for what the Good Lord has given us. It turns out that in the United States, Thanksgiving was far from an official holiday, and only celebrated in one region of this nation....

As late as the Civil War, Thanksgiving was primarily celebrated in New England and in areas settled by New England migrants. Most Southerners, for example, wanted nothing to do with Thanksgiving. They associated it with pharisaical, self-righteous Yankees, and they just didn’t observe it. Conversely, New England tended not to celebrate Christmas.

Thankfully over the past one hundred and fifty years, we come together at this time of the year to celebrate what and who we have in our lives....and I should add, to always remember those who are serving this great nation overseas who are not with their family on this day.

Enjoy...

EC NEWELLMAN

Return to ANNOUNCEMENTS