SEPT 17, 2018 - NYS FFL (COMMERCIAL LICENSE PROPOSAL) Licensing proposal discussed at recent public meetings

News and fish talk from those in the Commercial fishing Industry.

SEPT 17, 2018 - NYS FFL (COMMERCIAL LICENSE PROPOSAL) Licensing proposal discussed at recent public meetings

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:11 am

Morning....

This was sent to me by George Lapointe this morning and should be read carefully through to understand all the issues going on within the NYS FFL, and future changes that may be implemented:
===================

Attached please find the licensing proposal developed by some MRAC members to address many of the issues raised by fishermen and others about improving the NY commercial fisheries licensing system. This is the proposal discussed by John Davi and others at many of the recent public meetings that I moderated as part of DECs efforts to review current licensing issues.

I am sending the proposal because it was discussed at the recent public meetings. As I mentioned at the public meetings, the proposal addresses many of the licensing issues that have been raised by NY license holders and others.

Note that this is not a proposal by NY DEC Marine Division.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

George Lapointe
Contractor to NY DEC Marine Division

--
George Lapointe Consulting
P.O. Box 483
Hallowell, Maine 04347-0483
(207) 557-4970
George@GeorgeLapointeConsulting.com

EC NEWELLMAN

Re: SEPT 17, 2018 - NYS FFL (COMMERCIAL LICENSE PROPOSAL) Licensing proposal discussed at recent public meetings

Postby jrgesq » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:37 pm

This needs to be fought in a courtroom. Anyone with a license can see what this is doing to the future of your license.

Joseph Giaramita
www.nytriallawyer.org
jrgesq

Re: SEPT 17, 2018 - NYS FFL (COMMERCIAL LICENSE PROPOSAL) Licensing proposal discussed at recent public meetings

Postby jrgesq » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:21 pm

And it is so convoluted that I, an attorney that was 3rd in his school can't figure it out. The goal should be to enlarge economies of fishing and their related businesses so this is all wrong. Changing the license and decreasing it also wrong and maybe impermissible. We will find out and if the remaining 1000 or so license holders don't want to get involved then it will happen. And I'm not working for everyone else, we all need to get involved.
jrgesq

Postby Capt. Rick » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:38 pm

Have to keep an eye on this, very distressing.... do you have any ideas on what we can do moving forward?
Capt. Rick - MISS BERYL CHARTERS
516 359 6462 - www.missberyl.com
Capt. Rick

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:53 pm

Hi Rick....sorry for not getting back to you quicker....

It is a situation where it seems the NYS DEC position is to remove a few hundred NYS FFLs...and part of this is due to the continued low allocations for a number of species such as fluke and sea bass, and what may be coming down the pike as far as with striped bass when the benchmark is presented to the public in the coming months. Cuts again?

Some are thinking buyouts......but as J.G. rebutted...."very doubtful," and I would hedge and say this is pretty remote for NYS politicians to just come up with a significant amount of money to buy out state fishing licenses (yet if you are an illegal in NYS......)

As someone pointed out to me....

10k license buyout per surrendered license
500 NYS FFL holders required
= 5,000,000 needed

5,000,000 million dollars would raise many eyebrows for a buyout.

Also it has been mentioned that due to the low quotas in NYS, you may have to remove as many as 600 NYS FFL in order to make it feasible for the rest to be able make a living from commercial fishing as this number of licenses surrendered will increase trips limits and provide more open days during the calendar year.

Also keep in mind that that the blackfish tag system has not been implemented yet...wait until this comes and just imagine how many tags YOU will get...

So....I believe that this will be decided in the coming months that a minimum income threshold made from fishing will be set by the NYS DEC and possibly some use of a tier system for allocations based upon the number of VTR's done for commercial fishing during the calendar year. This alone would:

- separate full time - all income from commercial fishing, from

- full time - no/little income from commercial fishing (for-hire) and those with other jobs/pensions who commercial fish, to

- part time commercial fishing,

- to those who have not submitted VTRs for a minimum of say three years.

I hope this gives you a little idea on which direction they are going on this NYS FFL proposal....

EC NEWELLMAN

Return to COMMERCIAL FISHING FORUM