JULY 30, 2018 - NYS DEC - NYS FFL - Public Information Sessions to Modernize and Reform State's Commercial Fishing Licensing System meeting at KINGSBORO tonight! INFO HERE

Important breaking news in the fisheries and in the various forums.

JULY 30, 2018 - NYS DEC - NYS FFL - Public Information Sessions to Modernize and Reform State's Commercial Fishing Licensing System meeting at KINGSBORO tonight! INFO HERE

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:13 am

Good end on the month of July morning.

A heads up on the NYS DEC - NYS FFL - Public Information Sessions to Modernize and Reform State's Commercial Fishing Licensing System meetings with 'numero uno' in the Big Apple being held here:

Monday, July 30, 6:30 PM

Kingsborough 'Community' College
Room M239, Marine Building (Lighthouse Building)
2001 Oriental Boulevard
Brooklyn New York 11235

For those familiar with Kingsboro, the Lighthouse is well known from its distinct look, but driving over to this building can be somewhat confusing. Just go past the booth at the school entrance (you have to stop, ID and tell them what you are there for), then straight east to the parking lot at the end (there are a few parking lots scattered around the college area). You then have to hoof it over to the building and go up to the second floor where you have to find this particular room (it has been used before for meetings).

The list of topics to be discussed amongst the many issues here in the once Empire State commercial fishing morass:

- Specifying qualifications for license issuance (re-qualifying thresholds for the NYS FFL)

- License transferability (host of issues from personal to cooperate licenses)

- Identifying means of entry for new participants in New York's fisheries

- Apprenticeship

- Resolution of the latent licenses issue

Keep in mind this is a "fact-finding" / scooping meeting conducted by an individual who is NOT from NYS, and in which I was told a few....'things' about. I will leave it at that.

This is one of six Long Island/NYC meetings, and for fishermen from the Bay, there is also a second west end meeting being held in State Island (which I did give a heads up to a few fishermen who live in the 5th borough if they do not want to come to this venue).

I will let everyone know how it turns out, and I would highly recommend for those who hold a NYS FFL to get over to this meeting or any of the planned meetings during this month. It is that important....especially if you seen the "dog and pony show" that occurred at one of the recent MRAC meetings when this topic was broached.....

The walkaway point here is that the NYS DEC licensing system for the NYS FFL has been a well noted problem (to put it nicely) over the years (if not decades), and the proverbial "kicking the can down the road" that has occurred under NYS Director Jim Gilmore, has to be addressed.....like or not, Vegas odds are that few NYS FFL will be happy with how this plays out, as some issues may never be resolved to any NYS commercial fisherman's satisfaction

EC NEWELLMAN

Return to ANNOUNCEMENTS