snowy grouper

Learn from the top wreck and bottom fisherman in the game! Full discussions on wreck fishing along with all things related to bottom fishing!!

snowy grouper

Postby Ballyhoo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:27 am

I'll be fishing on the Voyager on July 15-17. What do you recommend rig for snowy grouper? how many lbs leader? crimp or not? hook size? one hook or two hooks? bait?
Ballyhoo

Re: snowy grouper

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:20 pm

If I can recommend to anyone who is going deep dropping for anyone of the deep-water complex species such as Snowies, Northern Grouper and Barrels....

Your standard well tied tilefish rig is normally all you need and will work as well as the pre-made deep drop rigs you can purchase in a tackle shop or on the internet.

This was the rig that was normally used on the VOYAGER, the single hook Charlie Brown Circle Hooks With Welded Rings I have used this hook, and once it goes in, you literally need a saw to cut it out of a fishes jaw. I will also point out that the OWNER SUPER MUTUs are also as good as a circle hook you can purchase for use in this fishery.

The single hook rig used on this rig works as well as you can ask for especially when dragging the rig across craggy bottom or noticeably sticky man-made obstructions....and keep this in mind when you get hung up on an obstruction in 100 fathoms or deeper water depths.

No need to go scientific here with your rigs especially since it is normally the exception and not the rule that you can luck into any amount of Snowies in canyons north of the Norfolk. A homemade rig such as shown below, works well enough...

EC NEWELLMAN

Postby Ballyhoo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:29 pm

Great! Simply rig all the way. i purchased Eagle Claw Trokar Magnum Ringed Circle Offset Hooks 7/0. i think this hook should be OK. i have skipjack fillet. i think snowy grouper would love it lol.

barrel have small mouth. should i use Mustad Demon Circle 3X Strong Offset Hooks 6/0?

thanks for answer my question.
Ballyhoo

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:26 pm

Eagle Claw makes an excellent circle hook for the money...they do use them on the VOYAGER. Roughly I believe it is the 7/0 size and do not go overly large with your circle hooks especially if you are BLUELINE TILE fishing. Most 3x circle hooks will work fine. Captain Greg of the YANKEE CAPTS in Key West used OE BRAND 3x circles for awhile and I would be HIGHLY GUIDED by what the man from the Southern Command Center recommends for deep drop tackle...

YANKEE CAPTS - DEEP DROP TACKLE - HOOKS etc...
EC NEWELLMAN

Return to WRECK & BOTTOM FISHING CENTRAL