MAR 4, 2018 - WARD MELVILLE 6th ANNUAL PATRIOTS SHOW: A FEW PICS FROM THE DAY

Have a question concerning fishing or what equipment you might need? Have any fishing related comments or insite this is your forum.

MAR 4, 2018 - WARD MELVILLE 6th ANNUAL PATRIOTS SHOW: A FEW PICS FROM THE DAY

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:10 pm

What a Saturday at the 'Ward Melville - Patriots 6th Annual Fishing Show' with what I believe was the best turnout by the public. Many friends and those I know from the fishing boards came by such as Chris 'Crabcake,' John Viol and Mike Beberman as well as Captain Bobby 'Bleekles' from the Bay, Captain Desi and Captain Mike Dejung from the 'Celtic Quest' along with Joey 'Rods' and a few members from what seems to be the extremely popular 'Friends that Fish' website. I did see Deena from the 'Shinnecock Star' working at her booth without Captain John and George 'Fish Pro' came by a few times as he was very busy at his fishing tackle table.

From what I was told by those coming by, the parking lot was already full before 8:30 in the morning, and we had non-stop people packing the aisles either buying fishing stocking stuffer's along with questions on tackle or about the fishing season.

I should also add, that by far the number one fishery that most anglers talked and wanted to know about was easily and by far local and Nantucket fluke, with striped bass, scup and blackfish following in roughly that order. I did NOT see many fishermen asking about blackfish jigging (actually none at all, a first), but a number of questions to me about a possible spring blackfish season. "We will know soon enough" I passed along as the NYS MRAC meeting will give us a idea if it will open on April 1st.

One of the good things I did sense from the show was that most everyone was upbeat about the upcoming fishing season and I do believe that in part this was due to what appears to be an earlier opening for fluke with another fish adding to the possession limit.... "hopefully" for this season. The only time I felt there was any shaking of ones head came when Deepwater Fishery Liaison Julia Prince came around, first handing out fliers and then mentioning that she will "answer all the misconceptions on wind farms." I was glad the commercial fishermen from Montauk standing next to me, held his tongue because he did have a few choice words after she walked away with her younger child in tow.

Here are some of the pics from yesterday, until my smartphone wore out and stopped saving pics.....

The booth, and where we had Bobby 'OE TACKLE' along with Big Al and Mark Cusimano working the booth. Captain Rick Smith of the MISS BERYL also came by for a few hours.....

This year we again took on tile fishing and deepwater fishing, and we did have a good number of "ooohhhs and aaahhhs" about the golden tilefish displayed along with the type of tackle that is normally used in this fishery....

A big thanks to Bob Wilson who is the man who helped make this show run so well. Here he is with Bobby 'OE TACKLE'........

Harold from 'ONE ON JIGS' spent a few minutes with us and talked about something new coming out this season from his tackle business. As I wrote previously, if you want a confirmed fluke-catching rig, I doubt there is anything as good as what Harold is selling at this time. We actually sent a few guys over to his table to pick up his fluke rig for the upcoming Nantucket fluke season.....

'Eyeglass' Joe....well known as he mans the Tanuku Lodge table. In this case he was pulling on one of Mike Chows custom rods...and liking what he see's too.....

Mike Chow custom rods who had the table next to ours, standing with two of the legendary Long Island custom rod builders. Here is Captain Neil and Al Goldberg with Mike in the middle...and I should add Mike's younger brother in the background....

Mark with George 'Fish Pro' who stopped by the booth a few times during the day....

At the table to the left of ours, Captain Joe 'KING COD' along with Peter Berry. Captain Joe was pretty busy with all the customers coming by.....

Bobby 'OE TACKLE' with one of the top striped bass highliners and legendary Long Island fishermen, Captain Jimmy Hahn. Captain Jimmy told us a few stories on the striped bass fishing he had this season, and all I can say, it is a striped bass fisherman's dream in what he consistently hooks into and catches each and every season off of Montauk.....

Sal 'Sea Maiden' and Carl spent sometime at the booth and both are a wealth of information about tackle and fishing....

Two noted commercial fishermen, Al 'Double D' in the middle who was finest commercial pinhookers I was fortunate to fish with along Al 'Leatherneck' in the grey shirt who besides lobster fishing during the season fishes for jumbo bluefish in the eastern end of Long Island Sound...with 4/0 and 6/0 Senators!!! Great fishing stories from both Al's..........

Chuckie and Eben.....

Harvey Cooper who as many of us have seen first hand, ties the most incredible flys. Here he is with Mike B. who have not seen in a while......

Captain Joe Devine of the 'Mi-Joy' who we see at the show. Captain Joe has a wealth of information about fishing in his area and it is pleasure always speaking with him on the fishing out of the eastern end of Long Island Sound.....

Captain Anthony Testa and his son Anthony who stopped by. I enjoy their seasonal top and bottom fishing reports out of Montauk...and they catch fish as we see during the fishing year....

Dan Dkuff who is just coming off knee replacement....

Chris with Bobby 'OE TACKLE'....

Chris P. from Freeport with Mark.....

Chris 'Hunt & Fish' Spies.....

George with Mark....

Chris who is a graduate of SUNY MARITIME who I spent a few moments talking with....

Mark with Frank.....

Once again, thanks to everyone who stopped by for a few moments as it help made the day go by....
EC NEWELLMAN

Re: MAR 4, 2018 - WARD MELVILLE 6th ANNUAL PATRIOTS SHOW: A FEW PICS FROM THE DAY

Postby trophyfish » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:14 pm

Steve, great show it was and it was nice to see everyone, I know what show my club will be doing next year :D
trophyfish

Return to GENERAL FISHING FORUM