NOV 21, 2017 - FISHERY ENFORCEMENT in NEW JERSEY: BY THE BOOK

An online blog made up of a mix of fishing issues, events, regulations, and the political arena written by EC NEWELL MAN and others. It may be politically incorrect and definitely a reality check on and about fishing and politics. Enter the 'SPIN ZONE' to discuss the topics put forward by EC & the FISHING UNITED CREW!
Forum rules
LETS STAY ON TOPIC HERE & DISCUSS ONLY THE TOPICS STARTED IN THE MAIN THREAD.

NOV 21, 2017 - FISHERY ENFORCEMENT in NEW JERSEY: BY THE BOOK

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:20 pm

I have not only heard but seen a few things during my years when it comes to fishery enforcement, and a few stories were passed along to me on what has recently occurred in Pt. Pleasant, New Jersey.

In one case, a noted party boat in Pt. Pleasant Beach (and not the one you think either), the fishery Po-Po figuratively did some "dumpster diving...."

Last week the Fed fish cop boarded the XXXXXXXXX when it tied up. Looked at the rack barrel, saw 2 xxxxxxx racks and immediately went upstairs to check the log book. He told Xxxxxxxxxxx, "good thing you logged those two xxxxxxx."

Aren't you allowed to edit VTRs before you send them in? Just wondering.....

Here is another one:

The other day a destroyer sized Coast Guard cutter steaming from - or to Maine, stopped, sent and boarded with the orange rubber boat the XXXXXXX at sea. Even after he showed his inspection cert. from May, they still went through everything.

This is not unusual and to be expected during the season when the USCG is around.....

The topper though was on what happened today....

Stopped by the inlet (Squan) today after I left work early. Maybe 6-7 guys fishing spread out all along the wall. Guy In front of my truck gets a bite and swings in a small sundial. Right into his bucket. He did measure it for some weird reason. Immediately gets another and into the bucket. (So I guess the windowpanes have moved in).

Third cast, same thing. So I'm thinking, "man I hope the fish police aren't here!"

It's like I wished that onto this poor guy. Here he comes, fish cop Dimwitty.

Took the 6 or so, sundials he had and handed him a ticket. What a bunch of @%$#@. A non targeted, of little commercial value, not overfished-fish and this poor guy is ticketed for 6 fish right before Thanksgiving.

Honestly, our tax dollars are paying for a guy to write tickets for a fish typically stripped for bait.

Ling, whiting, mackeral, yellowtail are all fished out from what was once HUGE biomass and yet are all unregulated. But God forbid you kill a fish that isn't targeted or considered trash like sundial, congo, or shark.

Now I can imagine many would read this and wonder.... can you be given a colored piece of paper with legal writing for possessing windowpane flounder?

I WOULD CHECK THIS on WINDOWPANE FLOUNDER

As was then told to me:

I do know, at least in NJ, that sundials and congo bunnies are and I do know at least in NJ, are verboten. Think about that.

This time of year, Squan inlet gets flooded with them and again in late April/early May. No one fishes for them (targets dials), but the fishermen along the wall with upside down spinning reels and spark plugs for sinkers catch a few. They keep them (probably thinking they are flounder, fluke, yellowtails, or who knows) but you know those guys eat every last piece of those fish. .

Personally I understand the meaning of 'strict' possession, but to write up any fishermen for these extremely minor infractions that few fishermen know about on a specie such as windowpane flounder, makes one wonder.....and as I always now point out, just imagine these same 'Fish Po-Po' asking either state troopers or other law enforcement for courtesy while violating various vehicle and traffic laws..............

EC NEWELLMAN

Re: NOV 21, 2017 - FISHERY ENFORCEMENT in NEW JERSEY: BY THE BOOK

Postby Salty Bones » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:59 pm

Steve,
You already know buddy. What goes around comes around :twisted:
Salty Bones

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:38 pm

You already know buddy. What goes around comes around :twisted:

I really hope so.....

I have already talked to two people who work on for-hire boats, and both said they never knew that this is now a 'NO RETENTION' specie....
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby jjdbike » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:59 pm

Wow,
I had no idea windowpane were a no retention species. Last I heard (actually called NJ to ask), they were unregulated.
Someone on another very big local fishing website posted a hook’em & cook’em style reports including recipes for them.
JD
jjdbike

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:11 am

EC NEWELLMAN

Return to ECs WHEELHOUSE - 'SPIN ZONE'