NOV 12, 2017 - MRIP FOLLIES: THE SHORE BOUND ANGLER & THE SUCCESS THAT MRIP SEEMS TO CAPTURE TIME and AGAIN with BLACKFISH & SEA BASS

Fishery Issues, Fishery Management, and the latest Fishery news.

NOV 12, 2017 - MRIP FOLLIES: THE SHORE BOUND ANGLER & THE SUCCESS THAT MRIP SEEMS TO CAPTURE TIME and AGAIN with BLACKFISH & SEA BASS

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:50 pm

Drain the MRIP SWAMP

This was looked into due to a comment made by Zach Harvey on socialized media, and this was the information that slithered out after I took a closer look...and this started with the GOMaine 'SHORE' mode estimate data for 2016.
=====================

Zach Harvey You need to query the tautog data from Mass to Maine, or NH and ME. That used to be one of my annual laughs.

Ec Newell Man Morning Zach...you asked, and here it is MRIP data on landings comparing 2016 to 2017 preliminary. Already we have a LANDINGS SPIKE with Massachusetts somehow doubling its harvest from one year to the next. With a 3 fish possession limit, that would mean that much greater effort (more fishermen) to pull this off....and we see where....LOOK AT THE NEXT CHART.

Ec Newell Man Here we go again with the SHORE BOUND angler somehow this season out fished the WHOLE Mid-Atlantic party and charter boat fleet for the last two years. See the next chart....

Ec Newell Man This is based upon (at least we hope so) VTR data on blackfish harvest for two years by the for-hire industry in this region. Look at the numbers, and though the 2017 - SHORE mode is preliminary, keep in mind that unless someone contacts the M-RIP-off program people, do not be surprised that this number does not change.

Ec Newell Man Because of you Zach, I do believe we have something here with the SHORE MODE collection information...... and not so much on the collection part where we think its more than checking the wrong box on mis ID of certain species of fish, but the CATCH EXPANSION based upon a fictitious 'effort variable" (number of fishermen) that M-RIP-off somehow comes up with to produce these estimates. Heck, we have the case of the NYS - SHORE mode JUMBO SEA BASS fishery...oh wait a minute, the 2016 NY - SHORE mode is gone somewhere, but once again here in 2017 the NY - SHORE mode JUMBO SEA BASS FISHERMEN is back once again.... yes preliminary, but haven't those at M-RIP-off figured it out yet that when they have an estimate that is so unbelievable, it should be high-lighted and noted? This can be done by using a formula that has an upper and lower range limit to flag what of course is a MRIP Folly.... as I normally come to ask, if anyone knows of an area here on Fantasy Island that jumbo and on average 3.2 lb BSB can be caught, please let us know!

EC NEWELLMAN

Re: NOV 12, 2017 - MRIP FOLLIES: THE SHORE BOUND ANGLER & THE SUCCESS THAT MRIP SEEMS TO CAPTURE TIME and AGAIN with BLACKFISH & SEA BASS

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:51 pm

Catching up here, but here is another MRIP powerball estimate...this time:

SHORE MODE - HARVESTED BLACK SEA BASS (NO JOKE here either)

Just note in the box below the MRIP table that this estimate is from Wave 3 and 4 (open season from the end of May until Aug 31st)

EC NEWELLMAN

Return to REGULATORY/AQUACULTURE