Hi Jim...hope all has been well. To answer your question, this is simple:
- Rod MB 114 3F 13 -14 tip or BT 108 3M 14 tip if you like a more progressive taper
- Daiwa Sealine 50H or 300H or Newell 322/332/338 or Penn Jigmaster 500
- 50 lb braid, 40-50 lb topshot
- Sinkers from 12 - 20 (and toss a 24 or 2 in the bag, never know)
- For jigs either chrome or hammered from 8 oz to 14 oz
- Sabiki rig for macs if you want to target them and take a few home
You do not have to go scientific here...really don't. Depths can be anywhere from 17 fathom to 26 fathom on average, but do not be surprised a drop or two is made in 30fm to under 40fm.
The VOYAGER normally has mono available for anyone to put on their reel in the cabin (as you most likely know).
If you broke out a good 7'6" bluefish rod, strapped on a Daiwa 50H reel with 40 to 50 lb mono, you are probably ahead of the game as far as NOT needing to spend 1000 dollars on a custom rod and super-duper lever drag reel.