OCT 31, 2017 - eVTR HAPPY HALLOWEEN INFO: THE OFFICIAL "ALMOST EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW FROM NOAA FISHERIES ON eVTR"

Fishery Issues, Fishery Management, and the latest Fishery news.

OCT 31, 2017 - eVTR HAPPY HALLOWEEN INFO: THE OFFICIAL "ALMOST EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW FROM NOAA FISHERIES ON eVTR"

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:48 pm

I like to thank Captain Michael of the BROOKLYN VI for passing this official information along, especially since a few fishermen (both commercial and for-hire) have asked for more details on the upcoming issue on submitting a eVTR along with the platforms/software needed to be in compliance as of March 12, 2018.

Why on that particular date?

Q - When will this regulation take effect?

A - This action will take effect on March 12, 2018. All vessel must submit eVTRs in compliance with these regulations for any trips taken on or after this date. We are delaying implementation to provide vessel owners and operators time to obtain the software application and necessary training to comply with this regulation. Although we are providing details now on the new requirements, we will provide additional information and reminders closer to March 12, 2018

Next is the issue if you do not understand what YOU must do come that very time and you are classified a Federally permitted Party/Charter vessel:

Before I go any further, this question was asked of me by two commercial NYS FFL holders who also hold a party/charter permit:

Q - If I have a Federal charter or party permit for a Mid-Atlantic species, but I am fishing on a commercial trip without taking passengers for hire, am I still obligated to submit an eVTR?

A - No. When not on a trip carrying passengers for hire, you may submit an eVTR or a paper form submitted by mail.

Digging deeper when you read here: Mid-Atlantic Species Charter and Party Vessels - Electronic Vessel Trip Reports Required for all Mid-Atlantic Charter and Party Trips

You will see this chart and then wonder if you are stepping into the fishing twilight zone:

Next is the question to WHERE - WHAT - WHY - HOW on this issue with eVTR. GO HERE:

NOAA FISHERIES: Electronic Vessel Trip Reporting

Also a little note here that you must remember:

To Obtain an eVTR Password: All vessel operators who will be completing an eVTR must obtain a confidential password.

This password will serve as an electronic signature and is required to submit an eVTR. To obtain an eVTR password, please contact the:

- NOAA Fisheries Fish-On-Line IT Help Desk @ 978-281-9188 or

- Send an e-mail to nmfs.gar.helpdesk@noaa.gov

In closing I will make note that this will be made an ANNOUNCEMENT in order to make it easier to locate this thread over the coming months.

I also recommend that IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM, first try to reach out to those in the for-hire industry who are familiar with eVTR reporting, and IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, contact the 978 number for the SUSTAINABLE FISHERIES DIVISION.

Have a pencil and pad ready....get a name of the individual you spoke to and put that on the side...just in case.

I realize that this could be overwhelming for those who are not computer literate or handy with various electronic devices, but it is the future in getting closer to:

- quicker reporting,

- addressing compliance issues,

- increase the accuracy in discard and harvest data
EC NEWELLMAN

Return to REGULATORY/AQUACULTURE