My All Around Set Up

Learn from the top wreck and bottom fisherman in the game! Full discussions on wreck fishing along with all things related to bottom fishing!!

My All Around Set Up

Postby ncalabrese284 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:18 pm

Hi Guys,
I am thinking about putting together an all purpose combo. I want to get a Makaira 8sea and put that on a custom Calstar Grafighter 700L. Load it with 40LB Jerry Brown and add a short 40LB mono topshot. My goal would be to use this for tautog, jigging Seabass, jigging stripers/blues, and even light tackle tuna jigging. I have never fished either the reel or the rod so I wanted to get some opinions on this before I invested the money. All input welcome.
Thanks,
Nick

Nicholas Calabrese
Marine Biology B.S. Roger Williams University
Masters Student in Marine Science at SMAST
Avid Fisherman of All Things That

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nicholas.calabrese.5
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ncalabrese284/
ncalabrese284

Re: My All Around Set Up

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:11 am

Good morning Nick...

Interesting question, and let's just say that to find a "all purpose outfit" sometimes will not address all fisheries you mentioned or the techniques within each fishery such as stripers to bluefin to blackfish.

First, the Okuma Makaira SE reels are some of the finest on the market and I know one handgear fishermen in the GOMaine who just compared the new Daiwa Saltiga star drag against the Okuma Makaira and said it was pretty noticeable on the ease of pulling fish in with the Okuma product due to it's gearing. Other than the smooth gear train of the Daiwa product, the Okuma Makaira reels are what I would recommend for a top notch casting, jigging and bottom reel.

The Calstar 700L blank is very popular, but if I can recommend something here....try and find a reputable rod builder and personally go to his business and pull on a number of different blanks with whatever reel you choose. There are a number of other blanks that may be a better fit than the Calstar 700L, and as much as I highly recommend the Grafighter line of blanks, Seeker and Lamiglas may have a blank that you would enjoy using over the 700L.

Also, from what I hear from a number of fishermen who target blackfish early in the season and jig for them.... take a close at a reasonably priced blank if you do enjoy using blackfish jigs.

Finally, for light tackle tuna jigging, what type of tuna....bones and alberts, and the reason I ask is that with we are currently experiencing with the offshore tuna's YFT and LF, I would not be focusing as much on a jigging outfit as compared to an outfit for striped bass, sea bass or blackfish....
EC NEWELLMAN

Re: My All Around Set Up

Postby ncalabrese284 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:26 am

Thank you for your feedback. I have a reputable rod builder that I have used in the past. I've really never had a rod built for tautog/seabass so I am not familiar with the popular blanks for these applications. If you have any blanks you would recommend I take a look at that would be great. As far as the tuna jigging, last year we ran into schools of 20LB yellowfin. That situation is where I would use the rod. This really isn't the purpose of getting this combo just a bonus thought I had while making the post. I am pretty sold on the reel after hearing reviews and using the Makaira 20sea for tuna.
Thanks,
Nick

Nicholas Calabrese
Marine Biology B.S. Roger Williams University
Masters Student in Marine Science at SMAST
Avid Fisherman of All Things That

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nicholas.calabrese.5
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ncalabrese284/
ncalabrese284

Return to WRECK & BOTTOM FISHING CENTRAL