OCT 5, 2017 - WINTER WAVE 1 BSB FISHERY: A VERY IMPORTANT NOTE BY CAPTAIN HOWARD BOGAN - BIG JAMAICA

Important breaking news in the fisheries and in the various forums.

OCT 5, 2017 - WINTER WAVE 1 BSB FISHERY: A VERY IMPORTANT NOTE BY CAPTAIN HOWARD BOGAN - BIG JAMAICA

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:34 pm

Folks, last evening I spoke with two noted for-hire party boat captains, one from New Jersey and the other here in New York on the issue of trying to get the opening of a Wave 1 - BSB fishery. Now I am not going to get into the minutiae of the "why and why-not" here for an opening during the months of January and February in 2018 as I would like this one thought to resonate with you as written from a captain who has been around since the time this offshore winter fishery started in the early 1980's, that being Captain Howard Bogan:

=======================

If you would like to go winter sea bass fishing there will be a proposal put forth by the council for a February opening in 2018. If this interests you, please send a quick email to:

Dr. Chris Moore

cmoore@mafmc.org

The proposal is being put forth by New Jersey that will have a provision that the state may put observers on board to monitor catches and collect scientific data. We are in favor of that, and have no problem whatsoever with observers being on board.

We had made offshore winter trips for many years, and the stock rebuilt during that time without any negative impact. Thank you for your time and I hope to see you in February!

-Capt. Howard Bogan

SAMPLE LETTER:

Hello Dr. Moore,

I have fished on New Jersey boats for many years and previously enjoyed winter sea bass fishing trips. I hope the Council will follow through with the recommendation for a February 2018 season. As an avid fisherman, there is not much else to fish for at that time of year. Please give us the opportunity to do that once again.

Have your name, and at a minimum a contact email address added to your letter/email to Dr. Moore.
=================

Once again I am asking for those who always complain about the fishery issues, to just sit down for a full minutes and write......

ALSO.....

MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE

NEW YORK FOR-HIRE BOATS TOO!
EC NEWELLMAN

Re: OCT 5, 2017 - WINTER WAVE 1 BSB FISHERY: A VERY IMPORTANT NOTE BY CAPTAIN HOWARD BOGAN - BIG JAMAICA

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:20 am

As I have noted on socialized media, anyone making a public comment, cannot email directly to Dr. Moore or the various council/fishery people in the MAFMC. This is where you have to make your comment since late comments will no longer be distributed to Council members via email.

MAFMC - October 2017 Public Comments - Follow easy directions

Additional information about Council meeting comment deadlines is available at

===================================

Mid -Atlantic Fishery Management Council - October 6, 2017
800 North State Street, Suite 201
Dover, DE 19901

Subject: Recreational Wave 1 Black Sea Bass Opening for Feb. 2018

Dr. Chris Moore and Council Members,,

It has come to our attention that the MAFMC will be considering a potential February 2018 opening of the recreational Wave 1 fishery in 2018 at the upcoming October 11th meeting. As in the past on providing greater access and the ability for the recreational fishermen to harvest Black Sea Bass, ‘WE SUPPORT’ this measure being passed by the Council.

At this time as both fishery scientist and those who regulate the species within their purview, by opening the month of February for fishing will provide not only a new, but the most current data on angler fishing effort, actual catch and the number of trips that would be made during this time period.

The Wave 1 – BSB fishery was a traditional winter fishery for a number of decades until it was closed, and in re-opening this fishery during February, the most important metric on what is caught by a recreational fishermen can now move from the realm of manipulated theoretical models to quantifiable actual data that can be used as a baseline by the Council for management measures in providing future access to the BSB fishery during Wave 1.

The BROOKLYN VI fishing operation has been home ported out of Sheepshead Bay in NYC for over four and a half decades. It still remains as a family owned and operated, year around full time sailing party boat business that provides safe and professional service to all recreational fishermen. The operators of the BROOKLYN VI will also allow and fully cooperate with fishery scientist along with both state and federal data collectors on any data requested as well as to examine the catch from any trip.

Thank you for consideration in supporting the re-opening of Wave 1 – BSB in February 2018.

Captain Michael Ardolino
brooklynvifishing@hotmail.com
Steve EC Newellman
help@fishingunited.com

EC NEWELLMAN

Return to ANNOUNCEMENTS