SEPT 27, 2017 - NYS FOR-HIRE: SURRENDERING BSB PERMIT IN ORDER TO RETAIN BSB IN STATE WATERS

Important breaking news in the fisheries and in the various forums.

SEPT 27, 2017 - NYS FOR-HIRE: SURRENDERING BSB PERMIT IN ORDER TO RETAIN BSB IN STATE WATERS

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:15 pm

Since this has come up a few times over the last couple of days....

"NMFS requires surrender of Federal Permit to continue fishing for BSB in state waters during the closure."

Thus if a for-hire vessel does not surrender their Federal Permit, they cannot retain ANY BSB which are caught in state waters.
EC NEWELLMAN

Re: SEPT 27, 2017 - NYS FOR-HIRE: SURRENDERING BSB PERMIT IN ORDER TO RETAIN BSB IN STATE WATERS

Postby captjoekingcod » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:04 pm

More red tape bullshit, and just another way for a violation to be written. When it's closed in federal waters, it's closed, so I cant figure out what the difference is if you hold a permit or not. Closed is closed, and if you're caught, you're caught. Surrendering of permit won't do anything to stop someone going over the line, if they want to risk the consequences.

I surrendered my permit with hesitation, in order to stay in compliance. However, everyone who does this, should have the worry in the back of their mind... Will I get my permit back in a timely manner to resume fishing in federal waters once the closure is over? Do I trust that NOAA won't play any games...maybe one day they will come out, and say, " you can't get a permit back, in the same year it is surrendered". Am I paranoid...ABSOLUTLEY. Do I have a legitimate reason to be so. I think I do... Is it worth the risk, for the handful of BSB I will catch over the next few weeks?
Capt. Joe KING COD
HOME 631-475-1060
CELL 631-605-1404

www.kingcodfishing.com
captjoekingcod

Re: SEPT 27, 2017 - NYS FOR-HIRE: SURRENDERING BSB PERMIT IN ORDER TO RETAIN BSB IN STATE WATERS

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:20 pm

Excellent reply to this issue Captain Joe of the KING COD...explained some of the "nuisances" on the wacky fishery permits process when it comes to the BSB - EEZ closure:

Unread postby captjoekingcod » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:04 pm

More red tape bullshit, and just another way for a violation to be written. When it's closed in federal waters, it's closed, so I cant figure out what the difference is if you hold a permit or not. Closed is closed, and if you're caught, you're caught. Surrendering of permit won't do anything to stop someone going over the line, if they want to risk the consequences.

I surrendered my permit with hesitation, in order to stay in compliance. However, everyone who does this, should have the worry in the back of their mind... Will I get my permit back in a timely manner to resume fishing in federal waters once the closure is over? Do I trust that NOAA won't play any games...maybe one day they will come out, and say, " you can't get a permit back, in the same year it is surrendered". Am I paranoid...ABSOLUTELY. Do I have a legitimate reason to be so. I think I do... Is it worth the risk, for the handful of BSB I will catch over the next few weeks?
EC NEWELLMAN

Return to ANNOUNCEMENTS