Party boat problems in brooklyn

An online blog made up of a mix of fishing issues, events, regulations, and the political arena written by EC NEWELL MAN and others. It may be politically incorrect and definitely a reality check on and about fishing and politics. Enter the 'SPIN ZONE' to discuss the topics put forward by EC & the FISHING UNITED CREW!
Forum rules
LETS STAY ON TOPIC HERE & DISCUSS ONLY THE TOPICS STARTED IN THE MAIN THREAD.

Party boat problems in brooklyn

Postby nickh » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:17 pm

Just saw a piece on channel 4 about people bitching about the boats. What's the issue here?
nickh

Re: Party boat problems in brooklyn

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:08 pm

Nick, one of the captains from the Bay sent this in. I believe this is the story you are talking about...and if you watch it, you will see one of the owners going his business there. This seems to be a news story from a few months ago.

NBC SNOOZE 4: Party Boat Problems in Sheepshead Bay
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby nickh » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:13 pm

I didn't see the story three the ads below. Just read it. Seems the two are related.
nickh

Postby Paul H / Emily S » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:02 am

"PARTY BOAT" has taken on a new meaning in the Bay. I see the Freeport fleet doing two half day fishing trips then switch over at night to booze cruising. Which is more profitable ? My guess is it's not even close ...
Paul H / Emily S

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:59 pm

Paul, you definitely answered the question on what is more profitable in either having a fishing business...or is that dinner cruise business these days.

I just like to point out an obscure article from a few years back which should have some shaking their heads...

BROOKLYN MAG: Is the Bill Banning Party Boats in Sheepshead Bay Racist?

An excerpt from the article, to wit:

Presumably, no right-thinking person would oppose any activity that sometimes ends with public urination and defecation, but as with most legislation, Cymbrowitz’s bill is not so simple. As far back as last August, when the Assemblyman first promised to ban party boats, critics suggested a surreptitious racist rationale, since most of the patrons who would be affected by the legislation are black.
Joe Lind, captain of the party vessel Golden Sunshine and a 40-year party boat veteran, told the Brooklyn Daily that “a lot of the people that come here are black people—they’re from the Caribbean and inner city,” and noting that the waterfront community lodging complaints is mostly white.

Let me point out that the article was from April 1, 2015 and the question seem to revolve around the issue of vessel owners who have a right to make a living, against those who live right in the neighborhood who complain about their quality of life being negatively impacted due to the lack of/non-existent parking and unbearable traffic issues to garbage, noise and altercations between customers on the boats that take to the streets during the middle of the night.

These problems have not gotten better and in fact as many in social media and on the local news have stated, become that much worse as seen at this point in 2017. Is the answer more security to be hired by those dinner boats, or the eventual relocation of any type of non-fishing operations to locations away from a nearby residential community?

Odds on when looking into the magic 8 ball is that the outcome would tend to favor those in the community who will continue to exert the utmost pressure on whomever is running for Mayor "to do something" about a lingering quality of life issue that so far has not been corrected over the years.

One of the latest articles that goes into more detail:

August 11, 2017 / News / Sheepshead Bay In the dock: Pol takes aim at party boats after seaside brawl

EC NEWELLMAN

Postby nickh » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:38 pm

Police enforcement in itself cannot stop this. Having that amount of people coming in on a weekly basis requires planning and money. I like to compare it to a small time carnival or concert. Overtime needs to be paid by the boat owners and a secure presence needs to be felt ESPECIALLY when high amounts of drugs alcohol and "posturing up" are likely.
nickh

Postby MisterX » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:30 am

FYI

"When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others" - Chinese Proverb
MisterX

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:14 am

YES - YES....a few days ago (and thanks to one of our friends who first alerted me to this) I made mention of this over on the viper-pit of socialized media about the current sanctuary city loving Mayor who told the local community here at a Town Hall meeting in Sheepshead Bay that the 'booze and cruising' vessels located along the Emmons Ave piers will be relocated out at the end of the season.....AKA, past this coming November mayoral election.

After the season is over, a new location will be found for the Emmons Avenue party boats, away from residential areas and praised Assemblyman Cymbrowitz for his role in making this happen.

The reaction down along the docks in the Bay..... nothing.....other than one captain walking to one of these vessels with his head down and avoiding anyone to converse with.

Who knows where and if this will happen, but notice who was given praise here, and of course, the point person if there is any blowback on where a handful of some of these large vessels do end up.

EC NEWELLMAN

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:09 pm

Thanks to one of our long time contributors here:

Mayor Bill de Blasio announced on Friday, September 15, a curfew on party boats that populate Sheepshead Bay. Starting next spring, all of the party boats in Sheepshead Bay will be subject to a 11 p.m. curfew.

The move serves to quell the noise, overcrowding and other quality-of-life issues stemming from the boats, which have been seen as a plague by some community members.

Read the full story here:

BROOKLYN REPORTER (9.19.17): Mayor cracks down on Sheepshead party boats with curfew
EC NEWELLMAN

Return to ECs WHEELHOUSE - 'SPIN ZONE'