APRIL 21, 2017 - NY BIGHT INSIDER: 50 SHADES OF BROWN AND OTHER FISHING STORIES - FISH CATCHING UP AT EASTMANS DOCK - RETURN OF THE ANGERMAN JIG?

This forum is dedicated to all you love fishing on Party and Charter Boats.

APRIL 21, 2017 - NY BIGHT INSIDER: 50 SHADES OF BROWN AND OTHER FISHING STORIES - FISH CATCHING UP AT EASTMANS DOCK - RETURN OF THE ANGERMAN JIG?

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:51 pm

** NY BIGHT INSIDER**

>> APRIL 21, 2017 <<

====================

50 SHADES OF BROWN ALREADY?

Should we be surprised by the species of fish which is filtering into the bays by the end of April as the summer "flattie" seems to be showing up in all the right places over the past week. Some wish the same could be said with the winter "flattie" whose scarcity in part may be due to so little fishing effort by both for-hire and private vessels.

(Sent in by Capt. QT)

The scuttlebutt on the docks to the west has been that there are just enough fish around for the "ORL" or "OLR" fish reports, with the added bonus of fish to 3 lbs finally filtering into the reports. As much as it is commonplace to see small bunches of winter flounders in the pics for a few hours fishing, no one can complain when they reach this size:

(Sent in by Capt. QT)

So what happened with rock-fishing since it opened in the once Empire State, and though there has been complaints about a slow start, that is not necessary true for those trolling the Chesapeake style Mojo. For those who are wondering what I am talking about:

They are available in a few different style tails and colors, but I do recommend that if you want to find more information on/and how to use this particular lure, take a trip on one of the local charter boats in the area. From what I see, almost everyone who trolls and successfully catches rock is using this lure.

(Courtesy of Maria - VOYAGER)

As for the winter king, the late winter and early spring fishing reminds us of what we had during the late 1980 through mid 1900's period. It is highly recommended to not set one's expectations too high... or is it to set the bar low when cod fishing at this time? Either way, there are enough around for a dinner or two, but one of the troubling signs is that red hake is now moving into the super-exotic category with more cod being caught than the once common ling.

Will that change over the coming month? It should....it will....and we hope it does for those looking to catch one of the finest eating fish in the region.

Thanks to Capt. RB)

I should add that Captain Rob of the CAPTREE PRINCESS is out of the shipyard and will be full day cod fishing starting tomorrow at 6 am.

Finally....it does seem that this will be the most popular fish to catch starting on May 1st:

(Courtesy Capt. Greg - OCEAN EAGLE)

I know many will be going out looking forward to sailing and fishermen catching silver dollars within the coming days...myself included!

REGULATORY MUMBO JUMBO - A FEW ITEMS THAT POPPED UP ON THE RADAR

MMD - CAPTAINS LICENSE: THE WAITING GAME CONTINUES

For those waiting for their renewal to come by snail mail, it does seem there is also the sending out of the MMD at a snails pace...for whatever the reason may be. Read on...(Thanks to the heads up here...)

Subj: Merchant Mariner Credential Processing Delays

To All,

Due to a greater-than-usual volume of mariner credential applications being received, the Coast Guard National Maritime Center (NMC) may be unable to process all Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC) applications prior to the expiration of current document.

In an effort to address this issue, the United States Coast Guard (USCG) is exercising its authority under Title 46, United States Code, Section 7507, and is granting an extension of national endorsements for any mariner whose MMC expires on or after December 1, 2016. This extension is effective immediately and will be valid until September 30, 2017.

For more information please visit the USCG NMC website. https://www.uscg.mil/nmc/

Just imagine if it was something really important...

FOR THOSE IN THE AREA WHO NEED TO TAKE THE CLASS

Montauk, NY Safety and Survival Training

Date: May 03, 2017

Shinnecock, NY Safety and Survival Training

Date: May 04, 2017

Go here to REGISTER:

FISHING PARTNERSHIP - SUPPORT SERVICES

I do believe that everyone that needs this course, especially if they have not done so in the past, to attend. It goes without saying that this practical life-saving experience will most likely will save you or a buddies life if heavens forbid the worse does happen while fishing.
================

MAYBE THE FINEST FISHING GOING ON ALONG THE COAST AT THIS TIME

EASTMANS FLEET

From what I not only hear and see from Marc from FISHARK ADVENTURES, it would be hard to top the bottom fishing going on at this time in the GOMaine with haddock (possession 15 till the end of the month), tote filling redfish, pollock, cusk, jumbo bergalls along with the"sacred" winter king which are sent back on their way and the other Catch & Release toothy critter that has to be handled very carefully.

Marc passed along a number of the pictures from the trips with Captain Nate out of Eastmans Dock, and for all those who enjoy the multi-mixed bag trips, right now is the time to go. Thanks Marc for passing these along...and contact him for further details....

===============

IN TALKING ABOUT NEW ENGLAND STYLE JIGS....

I forwarded a picture of one of the jigs seen in the above pics to a few people and I got back two interesting replies....but let me first show you the jig:

One reply was if they were still allowed to use treble hooks in the GOMaine....answer, yes they are as far as I know and you can always check here for any changes.

The second though pointed out that Kay at Surfland had these jigs....

(Attribution: Socialized Media)

I did have a little vapor-lock when I saw the prices of the jigs, then looked closer and saw the post was from over 2 and a half years ago. Even at that cost I was gritting my teeth and readying the plastic funny money to obtain a number of Danny's - Angerman jig because they are that good.

I do not know what they cost at this time, or if Kay does have any in stock at SURFLAND B&T, but it did put it in perspective on how an outstanding hard to find product will always be in demand.
===============

Finally.....

As we are experiencing with the April prevailing easterly winds over the past week, it will eventually sort itself out as we get into May. Fishing and as much the catching, will pick up. I know it has been a long winter but within two weeks the season will be transitioning into summer mode. In repeating my earlier statement, I and I know many of you cannot wait. Now for making my cod fillets for dinner...

EC NEWELLMAN

Re: APRIL 21, 2017 - NY BIGHT INSIDER: 50 SHADES OF BROWN AND OTHER FISHING STORIES - FISH CATCHING UP AT EASTMANS DOCK - RETURN OF THE ANGERMAN JIG?

Postby MisterX » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:23 am

Those jig prices....WOW!!!

Stopping on a wreck like the Doria might just bankrupt most anglers.....LOL.

Reminds me of a time on the Viking, fishing for Scup in a particularly sticky area. One of the customers yells up to the wheelhouse to Capt. Billy....."I aint got no hooks, I aint got no sinkers and I aint got no money. Can you PLEASE move the boat?"
"When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others" - Chinese Proverb
MisterX

Re: APRIL 21, 2017 - NY BIGHT INSIDER: 50 SHADES OF BROWN AND OTHER FISHING STORIES - FISH CATCHING UP AT EASTMANS DOCK - RETURN OF THE ANGERMAN JIG?

Postby R SONS » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:08 am

noticed a few boats in the bay are switching over to bottom fishing .
R SONS

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:49 am

Morning...Captain Greg came over my house before and passed along that they will still be striped bass fishing until the news changes with ling or the silver dollars finally show up. I would imagine the other boats are shaping up for anything on the bottom trips right now. With no spring blackfish and ling fishing being very trying at this point, we need a little something else to spice things up...in fact, we are still waiting for the first bluefish to show up. Birds are working along the East Beach now as stripers are making their move along the south shore at this time.
EC NEWELLMAN

Return to PARTYBOAT AND CHARTER FORUM