Help find 5-10 oz jigging rod please.

Everything from building rods to maintaining reels. Also an area to share your vintage tackle stories and pictures.

Help find 5-10 oz jigging rod please.

Postby jjdbike » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:03 am

Hi folks

I’m looking for an affordable off the shelf rod for mostly light jigging. A custom, ultra custom or premium rod is not in my budget. I’d like it to be able to effectively cast & jig 5 – 10 oz jigs. It will be used for (in this order), haddock, big deep-water fluke and small cod. It will be matched w/ an older model Diawa Saltiga 20 w/ 30 lb. braid. 

If it comes down to faulting to too light or too heavy, I’d go to the light end because I have really sweet custom rods for the heavier stuff. 

I’m attracted to the prices & reviews of the Tsunami rods, but do not know enough about them to pick the right model. I’ll buy one if I’m relatively confidant it’s the right rod for the job, affordable w/out being too cheaply made. I say that because I’ve purchased too many rods because they are inexpensive & it turned out they were awful to fish with. 

I’m even open to used. Clearly it doesn’t need to be pretty.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
JD
jjdbike

Re: Help find 5-10 oz jigging rod please.

Postby redpaulhus » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:20 pm

I picked up a few of the Tsunami slow pitch jigging rods this winter.
Used a 7' xh model for haddock bait fishing, was great with 10-12 oz sinkers. Balanced nice with a lexa 300.
Going to try it and the 6'8" H model tomorrow for fluke.
Not sure how it would do jigging pollock etc, everybody has a different preference for how soft or fast they want their rod it seems. But so far i love it.

That being said - i would NOT swing party boat fish over the rail with this rod. Thats what my ugly stik is for lol
redpaulhus

Postby Salty Bones » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:26 pm

A 5-10 oz jig stick is a pretty wide variation. I along with others here are partial to lami's. God bless the honey's! Since they are no longer around, at least not the originals, I have found one rod that has that moderate action and backbone. I'm speaking about the united composites rce 700 series. I use the 700xl for jigs up to 4oz and the 700L for 6-8oz. You could do 10 but I don't care for it. Not sure if it's too much but remember, quality vs quantity. Hope this helps. Fair winds and tight lines!
Salty Bones

Postby jjdbike » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:04 am

Salty Bones wrote:A 5-10 oz jig stick is a pretty wide variation. I along with others here are partial to lami's. God bless the honey's! Since they are no longer around, at least not the originals, I have found one rod that has that moderate action and backbone. I'm speaking about the united composites rce 700 series. I use the 700xl for jigs up to 4oz and the 700L for 6-8oz. You could do 10 but I don't care for it. Not sure if it's too much but remember, quality vs quantity. Hope this helps. Fair winds and tight lines!

Thanks for the reply Salty!

Yes you’re right 5 - 10oz jigs are really the very extreme range. The sweet spot I’m looking for is for working 6 - 8oz jigs.

I checked out the UC’s & they’re probably exactly what I’m looking for. I have two custom cod & pollack jigging rods built on these blanks & I absolutly love them, especially the action!!!!

Not sure of the “Lure” weight rating but based upon your recomendation they are probably under rated. The manufacturer chart advertises the XL for 1/2 - 1 1/2 oz lures. Based on the manufactuer ratings I’d need the XXHC which is rated for 3 - 8 oz lures, but 50 - 80 lb line which tells me they may be way over rated. You’re recomending the L for 6-8 oz so you’re confirming that they are over rated.
All that being said, their prices are more than double my budget so unfortunatly it’s all academic & hypothetical at this point. If I could find one used, a demo, scratch & dent etc..., dosen’t need to be pretty, I’d prolly jump on it.

My hope is I don’t regret going cheaper (as I have many times in the past).
Thanks again!
JD
jjdbike

Postby jjdbike » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:18 am

redpaulhus wrote:I picked up a few of the Tsunami slow pitch jigging rods this winter.
Used a 7' xh model for haddock bait fishing, was great with 10-12 oz sinkers. Balanced nice with a lexa 300.
Going to try it and the 6'8" H model tomorrow for fluke.
Not sure how it would do jigging pollock etc, everybody has a different preference for how soft or fast they want their rod it seems. But so far i love it.

That being said - i would NOT swing party boat fish over the rail with this rod. Thats what my ugly stik is for lol

Thank you fro your reply Red!

I do worry about the quality & durability for the Tusnami rods at this price range. I’ve gone cheap, regretted it and wound up spending more in the long run. On the other hand, enough people have siad they like these that I’m willing to take a chance.

Like I said in previous replys, I do have two really sweet heavier cod & pollack jigging rods made on UC blanks that I love. This current rod I’m looking for is for jigging haddock, jigging big deep fluke, & jigging small shallow cod w/ primarily 5 - 8 oz jigs. Not bait fishing.

You mentioned that the Tsunami Slow Pitch XH handeled 10 - 12 oz sinkers.
As we all know, droping & soaking a sinker is very different from casting & working a jig. For example, my lighter UC cod jigging rod will toss & work 10 - 12 oz jigs great, 14 is getting heavy for it to cast & work a jig well. But, for bait fishing, it will handel 16 oz fine.

How would you suppose that Tsuniami Slow Picth XH would cast & work a 5-8 oz jig? Would it load? Would the tip be too stiff to work the jig & keep contact w/ it?

Has anyone here used the Tsuniami Slow Picth H for casting & working 5 - 8 oz jigs? Did it have enough back bone to cast & work the jig w/out overloading on the cast & mushing out on the upswing of jigging?

I’m torn between the H & the XH.

Thanks again Red & friends!!!
JD
jjdbike

Postby YankeeCapts » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:13 pm

Call Dave at the Reel Seat.

Drop my name. He will know your serious

Greg
YankeeCapts

Postby jjdbike » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:24 pm

Thanks Greg,
Will do.
I’ll let you know.
JD
jjdbike

Return to FISHING TACKLE A-Z