JUNE 25, 2018 - VOYAGER: NANTUCKET WRECKS & JIGGING TRIP - A 85 LB HALIBUT CAUGHT & MORE COD

Fishing reports by our own FISHING UNITED - FIELD REPORTERS.

JUNE 25, 2018 - VOYAGER: NANTUCKET WRECKS & JIGGING TRIP - A 85 LB HALIBUT CAUGHT & MORE COD

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:22 pm

Thanks to Maria for the images from the latest:

NANTUCKET WRECKS & JIGGING TRIP - JUNE 21 - 23 2018

85 lbs ATLANTIC HALIBUT landed by Ed Mackin...shown here with his son and mate on the VOYAGER, Chris, as well as the hammered diamond jig he caught it on!

Finally the cod showed up, and curly tails ruled........

The other groundfish multi-species....

Doubles...triples....

Some fish holding containers....

Courtesy of Chef Maria...and it is hard to top fresh bergall and groundfish 'chowda'....

Next Nantucket Jigging & Nantucket Jumbo Fluke trip....

EC NEWELLMAN

Re: JUNE 25, 2018 - VOYAGER: NANTUCKET WRECKS & JIGGING TRIP - A 85 LB HALIBUT CAUGHT & MORE COD

Postby nickh » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:26 am

That's some fancy rigging right there!
nickh

Re: JUNE 25, 2018 - VOYAGER: NANTUCKET WRECKS & JIGGING TRIP - A 85 LB HALIBUT CAUGHT & MORE COD

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:45 pm

To point out since someone asked me....

Yes, HOT or FLO PINK 6" Curly Tails are and have been this season the preferred and most consistent terminal tackle for catching groundfish on these Nantucket trips this season........
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby nickh » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:50 pm

The old 2 droppers with grubs and a sinker. Killed them a few times with that rig. I like the gotcha brand myself.
nickh

Postby MisterX » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:47 am

EC wrote: Yes, HOT or FLO PINK 6" Curly Tails are and have been this season the preferred and most consistent terminal tackle for catching groundfish on these Nantucket trips this season....... .

I see nothing has changed in 30years! LOL
"When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others" - Chinese Proverb
MisterX

Postby jjdbike » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:09 am

EC NEWELLMAN wrote:To point out since someone asked me....

Yes, HOT or FLO PINK 6" Curly Tails are and have been this season the preferred and most consistent terminal tackle for catching groundfish on these Nantucket trips this season........

Thanks EC,

I know it’s a dumb question & that I’m pretty famous for those but here goes....may one assume these tails are also baited w/ clams?

EC & frineds, in the pics from a previous Nantucket trip I noticed good reports on curly tails fished on a ball / chain swivel set up. Can someone please provide a little more detail on that set up? Was this for a bait rig or as a teaser above a jig?

I see nick mentioned 2 droppers & a sinker. I also noticed tha hali came on a what looked like a bare diamond jig. I believe most of the halis landed go for jigs. Other than the curlytail on the dropper, what are the Nantucket jig style recomndations? Do diamonds rule or do Lav / Solv style also work? How bout dressing for the jigs? I’m guessing it would depend on if the fish are glued to the bottom or suspended weather bottom pounding or squidding would be better..... no?

Is jigging around Nantucket different than further N on the Bunny in respect to jig selection & set-up?

Thanks!
JD
jjdbike

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:31 am

Good morning, and sorry for being in such a rush and as much, in not posting information as often due to events going on with the NY RFHFA and what we now have come to learn with the 'bastardization' put within H.R. 200. But let me make a few comments.

First.... Mister X and Nick nailed it. There is NOTHING NEW here with the rigging up for jigging along Nantucket Shoals. The Curly Tail - Dropper loop rig with a sinker, has been around since the late 1980's and was commonly used by those fishing on the Viking Fleet, Helen H and Frances vessels. Some fishermen, and depending on the size of the cod, would add three dropper loops when the fish were in the scrod and market size range.

Second....the bead chain rig, is another which has been well noted since that time period and I can point to the late Teddy Dickes, Spencer and a few others who would open up the eye of the standard 3407 - O'Shaunessey (yes the same one used on the bluefish jigs) and place ball chain instead of a swivel. Here is what a commercial handgear fishermen in the GOMaine uses, and it is no different than what we use when fishing on the Shoals, Channel or on Georges itself.

These are made on the MATZUO - SICKLE style hooks brand. You do not need to open up the eye...just add the split ring with the lighter ball chain - 4 3/16" Beads, 1-3/8" length, 75 lb strength. It is the quickest solution to putting ball chain to ANY hook you want to use, and you can use split rings in the 65 and 80 lb strength.

Third.... on the "tipping of skimmer clam" on the hook.....

Most have noticed that tipping with the string of a skimmer clam or cut piece of GULP! tail, does work. We have noticed on the COD FLYS, that tipping with either one, does seem to "juice up and entice" fish to the hook. But we have also seen where this is not necessary. Personal choice here and I would add something with scent when you have a tough bite.

Fourth...on jigs....

What we are seeing is that plain stainless steel jigs as well as hammered diamond jigs are all you need at this point. We?I have ALWAYS recommended to be smart with your choice of jigs when fishing upon snag infected obstruction. I cannot tell you how many jigs we lose on wrecks, and more often we are now moving away from trebles and going back to a single hook on the jig to lessen them ending up as another shiny trinket left upon one of the noted Nantucket wrecks.

Fifth....

Getting back to the point of a sinker and or jig on the bottom of your rig, more often fishermen are using a sinker and teasers attached to dropper loops. If you are targeting pollock, yes a single hook on the jig, whether on a surgical tube and bent Limerick or with a Siwash hook is all you need.

The walkaway point here...Do not go scientific with your terminal tackle rigs. Great success in catching fish such as halibut has been made by using the simplest of rigs. In fact, a week ago, this GOMaine halibut was caught on a OE TACKLE - SURGICAL TUBE that was being squidded 100 feet off the bottom for pollock.

EC NEWELLMAN

Postby nickh » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:11 pm

Tower had a hundred pound halibut the other day. Biggest that his boat has ever landed.
nickh

Postby jjdbike » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:11 am

EC NEWELLMAN wrote:Good morning, and sorry for being in such a rush and as much, in not posting information as often due to events going on with the NY RFHFA and what we now have come to learn with the 'bastardization' put within H.R. 200. But let me make a few comments.

First.... Mister X and Nick nailed it. There is NOTHING NEW here with the rigging up for jigging along Nantucket Shoals. The Curly Tail - Dropper loop rig with a sinker, has been around since the late 1980's and was commonly used by those fishing on the Viking Fleet, Helen H and Frances vessels. Some fishermen, and depending on the size of the cod, would add three dropper loops when the fish were in the scrod and market size range.

Second....the bead chain rig, is another which has been well noted since that time period and I can point to the late Teddy Dickes, Spencer and a few others who would open up the eye of the standard 3407 - O'Shaunessey (yes the same one used on the bluefish jigs) and place ball chain instead of a swivel. Here is what a commercial handgear fishermen in the GOMaine uses, and it is no different than what we use when fishing on the Shoals, Channel or on Georges itself.

These are made on the MATZUO - SICKLE style hooks brand. You do not need to open up the eye...just add the split ring with the lighter ball chain - 4 3/16" Beads, 1-3/8" length, 75 lb strength. It is the quickest solution to putting ball chain to ANY hook you want to use, and you can use split rings in the 65 and 80 lb strength.

Third.... on the "tipping of skimmer clam" on the hook.....

Most have noticed that tipping with the string of a skimmer clam or cut piece of GULP! tail, does work. We have noticed on the COD FLYS, that tipping with either one, does seem to "juice up and entice" fish to the hook. But we have also seen where this is not necessary. Personal choice here and I would add something with scent when you have a tough bite.

Fourth...on jigs....

What we are seeing is that plain stainless steel jigs as well as hammered diamond jigs are all you need at this point. We?I have ALWAYS recommended to be smart with your choice of jigs when fishing upon snag infected obstruction. I cannot tell you how many jigs we lose on wrecks, and more often we are now moving away from trebles and going back to a single hook on the jig to lessen them ending up as another shiny trinket left upon one of the noted Nantucket wrecks.

Fifth....

Getting back to the point of a sinker and or jig on the bottom of your rig, more often fishermen are using a sinker and teasers attached to dropper loops. If you are targeting pollock, yes a single hook on the jig, whether on a surgical tube and bent Limerick or with a Siwash hook is all you need.

The walkaway point here...Do not go scientific with your terminal tackle rigs. Great success in catching fish such as halibut has been made by using the simplest of rigs. In fact, a week ago, this GOMaine halibut was caught on a OE TACKLE - SURGICAL TUBE that was being squidded 100 feet off the bottom for pollock.

Thanks EC!
Those are some impressive halis. !00’ off bottom!?!?
Best Regaurds & See you out there.
JD
jjdbike

Return to FIELD REPORTS BOARD