APRIL 11, 2018 - BSB RALLY AT MASCOT DOCK IN PATCHOGUE: THE WRAP UP & PICTURES FROM THE DAY

Fishery Issues, Fishery Management, and the latest Fishery news.

APRIL 11, 2018 - BSB RALLY AT MASCOT DOCK IN PATCHOGUE: THE WRAP UP & PICTURES FROM THE DAY

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:41 pm

Wasn't it a nice day at Mascot Dock in Patchogue for a Sunday fishermen event where we had a US Congressman attend, and support "our' cause as well as over 200 plus people from all parts and fishing ports from around Long Island.

That alone should illustrate the success of our message on going out of compliance on BSB in NYS.

A few short points in this latest manifesto I would like to make........

- We must continue to support Congressman Lee Zeldin for his continued effort in support of fishermen and fishing families. I hope you can "read between the lines" here as far as " $upport."

- Using the nuclear option, aka going out of compliance. Just remember folks, we cannot be "a little pregnant here." If we have chosen this path, EVERYONE has to support the efforts as this can legally play out very bad for a number of fishermen, especially those with "skin in the game." This is extremely serious to say the least as we go down this un-charted regulatory road.

PATCHOGUE, N.Y. - Congressman Lee Zeldin (R, NY-1) was joined by Assemblyman Dean Murray, small business owners, local fishermen and other stakeholders at Mascot Dock & Marina in Patchogue, to call for the State of New York to take an aggressive stand against an unfair decision by the (ASMFC) for BSB allocation

- The speakers..... I was so pleasantly astounded by the speeches made by life long, full time fishermen who have their businesses on the line with Captain Joe 'KING COD' as well as Captain Jimmy Schneider, Captain Jamie 'Q' and Captain Kenny Higgins were outstanding as they each told their own personal story in what they are trying to do to help all fishermen get reasonable BSB regulations. Major kudos here to ALL of you for standing up once again.....

- Captain Joe 'KING COD'....... I can pass along that he has been the proverbial 'tip of the spear' in leading a number of causes for fishermen, and this event consumed a great deal of his time in the coordination to get the event to come off as well as it did. Behind the scenes there was an issue with the individual running some fishing show just up the road, who as a few of you heard, "should stay over on the other side of the bridge" in the future.....

- Andy-boy Cuomo...yes the progressive boy-wonder governor who felt that it was more important to play politics when he was roughly 15 minutes from this location and just couldn't find the time to come over, shake a few hands, rub a few shoulders and make a Kodak moment of support for fishing families. For those who missed the Newsday article, this illustrates how NY is going the way of 'Kali-fornia' due to his far left ideological position on illegal immigration, taxes, business climate and wind energy policy.

(Courtesy of Dan Rodgers)

NEWSDAY (4.8.18): CUOMO JUST A FEW MINUTES AWAY WAS MIA AT FISHERMANS RALLY WHILE ATTENDING DEMOCRAT PARTY EVENT

- MAFMC meeting which is currently on its second day... Vegas odds are set as a 'sure thing' that the 800 lb gorilla is with NY fishermen beating the war drums on going out of compliance. This will be the talk at both the salad and adult beverage bar for the next few days. GOOD!

April 2018 Council Meeting – Montauk, NY

- NYS DEC MRAC meeting.... for those who did not read Kim's notes for the upcoming meeting, notice where it is now being held once again at Endeavor Hall. I guess we have will have to set up the tailgate tent there once again. Captain Scott...bring that banner down again!

- The two MAFMC stock size and fishing mortality ratio charts.... Folks, the pressure has to continue with the talking point on "how high above the Target does the BSB biomass have to be to finally get regulatory liberalization?" We want an answer...and please keep letting everyone know that fishery numbers are literally the shifting goal line.....always moving every time you look at the data so you can never get a straight answer.

- A very relevant Captain Monty line.... recently he stated this: "When a WHOLE ROOM FULL OF REGULATORS LAUGHS AT THE VERY DATA WE'RE BEING SKEWERED WITH...there's a problem.' "Hello Houston, we have do have a problem" with the utter ignorance and aloofness by those regulators hindering us fishermen in dealing with M-RIP-off. MRIP estimates are akin to the medieval alchemists who endless tried to turn lead into gold... they couldn't just like MRIP data, especially when you poke into the PRIVATE VESSEL and SHORE mode final estimates.

- The magic 8-ball and the near future of for-hire fishing.... Many who I talk to know my thoughts as far as fishing businesses remaining economically viable for the coming years. When speaking to Desi C-Q and John Mantione after the press event, I brought up the issue with two Benchmark assessments coming up in 2019, that being on summer flounder and striped bass. I hope those in the fishing industry realizes the implications of the biological indices trending into the crapper. I highly doubt many will say both stocks are on the upswing at this point, but we shall see what plays out for the 2018 season and the news emanating from the results on both Benchmarks.

- 'One man's lost' blog blovations.....nothing like getting a call last night to see what "the party boat expert" just recently wrote about the whole issue with Wilbur Ross and so on...yada, yada, yada. I will not bore you here with the continued dribble coming from this clogged toilet. Needless to say, he can personally tell us at the next MRAC meeting, and I bet that this will go over as well as a chilly bean fart at Sunday mass....LET US REMEMBER WHAT WE ARE STANDING UP FOR... A 'FUTURE' FOR FUTURE FISHERMEN...

- The 'Happy Ending' out of all of this.... for those who were there, it was great to come together and talk for a few moments. The best was a steak lunch afterwards over at J.R.'s which will put a smile on all the hungry faces at the table....

I have many more pictures taken by myself, C.J. from the BROOKLYN VI and Amy Tangel which I will post sometime tomorrow.

Once again, thanks to those fishermen who attended this event...

EC NEWELLMAN

Return to REGULATORY/AQUACULTURE