What size Newell Reel?

No boat, no problem! Here is a forum for those who love catching their favorite fish from terra-firma.

What size Newell Reel?

Postby scattergun2570 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:11 pm

I am interested in picking up a Newell for surf casting. I am thinking 11 foot stick,,so what size Newell do you think is best?
scattergun2570

Re: What size?

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:35 am

Good morning Rich....

To answer your question, by far the most popular Newell Reel for surf fishing was the 235. It is similar in width dimensions to the full size Penn 140 Squidder. The 235 spool has the line capacity along with balancing with a long surf stick. Interesting enough, the Newell 235 was one of the most popular model by sales for two decades, but fell out of favor as braided line became more popular. It normally can still be found for a reasonable price and sold in the 125 - 175 dollar range depending on which model in P, G, Engraved Plate, C and S variations.

For surf work, I would personally shy away from the Newell models with aluminum parts due to well known serious corrosion issues with the aluminum handle and stainless bridge sleeve, to what is called 'the cage' itself, that being the inner rings, aluminum bars and post and stainless screws.

One thing I would stay clear of is any Newell Reel for surf work that has the stainless frame pins holding the bars and base normally seen on some C and S reels. They are well noted to rust and are the proverbial 'bear' to remove if you wish to do a complete reel service.
EC NEWELLMAN

Re: What size Newell Reel?

Postby chunkster » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:27 am

I'm going with the 220-5. For that size rod I have my own personal control reasons.

arrivederci

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNdeLjdzl-s
Disclaimer: Never box or play football alone!
chunkster

Return to SURF FORUM