Muck Boots for winter bottom fishing?

Learn from the top wreck and bottom fisherman in the game! Full discussions on wreck fishing along with all things related to bottom fishing!!

Muck Boots for winter bottom fishing?

Postby jjdbike » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:06 am

Hey everyone,
My Xtratuf deck boots are too small to fit bulky winter sox & my orthodics. I’m looking for a warm, comfortable boot that has good grip on wet, slimy & potentially icy boat deck.
I’ve seen some use Muck Boots. I looked them up & there are several different models & they are pricey.
Have any of you used these boots for winter bottom fishing & if so what are your opinions on them?
Do they fit my needs (i.e. warm, comfortable & good grip on messy, wet & potentally icy deck)?
Also, there are several models of Muck boots, i.e. Artic Excursion Ankle (I’ve heard that these are light, comfortable & very easy to get on & off), Arctic Pro, Arctic Sport & Arctic Ice (ice gripping sole - might also be good for messy deck?), which one(s) do you recomend for this purpose?
Are there any boots similar to this model muck boots (but still quality) that are less money?
Finally, how is the sizing? Similar to Xtratuf? The Xtratufs are big. I wear an 11 - 11 1/2 & my Xtratufs are 11’s & if I was getting another pair of these I’d go upto 12 to fit the heavier sox.
Thanks in advance!
JD
jjdbike

Re: Muck Boots for winter bottom fishing?

Postby YankeeCapts » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:16 pm

Get the muck style flip flops. Its all you need.

Greg
YankeeCapts

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:33 pm

Jim...

Muck makes a highly regarded boot, but so do a number of other companies that manufacturer commercial fishing boots.

I would recommend this..... Go to FISHERMAN'S SUPPLY and try on a few different boots with the socks you normally wear during the winter. If your boot comes with a liner, use it if you need it.

Second....wear ONE good pair of winter socks...but carry a few extra pairs with your especially if you are making an extended marathon-like trip.

Third... before you start fishing, put on your winter socks and the winter boot at that time. Come inside into the cabin if your feet feel cold and take off the boot. If the socks are wet, change them.

Point is that you can find some top notch winter socks made for hiking and mountaineering.

Last is the point about finding a boot that is comfortable for your feet. Some boots are noted for a tight or extremely tapered toe-box. Others have no arch, some have a noticeably arch. If you need an orthotic - TEST IT FIRST IN THE STORE. Some are spongy and give little support but their are people - especially teenagers who love that feel (I don't)...others are made for sports and some are pretty stiff in this category (that is what I wear), while others have a shape which your feet may not react happily to and you end up tossing them in the garbage.

Spend the time in the stores that sell these boots, and find what is comfortable for you. I am not a fan of the full height X-Tuff, but found that their low cut "put on - kick off" boot is a winner.

Ps...I have been a fan of Guy Cotton, but that is me and a few others, while there are a large group of fishermen who truly hate the boot! It is all what you find comfortable to wear and in this case, keep your piggies warm....
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby jjdbike » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:56 am

Thanks EC & Fishon (PM),
I have several friends who also have foot & back issues that really love the Mucks. I ordered a pair of Arctic Ice Tall Muck Boots. They were NOT cheap. 100% water proof. They are rated for -60 to +30 & have a sole that’s designed to grip icy & slushy surfaces. I wear an 11, 11 1/2 w/ orthodtics. I ordered a 12. I I wear these inside a bit w/ various sock configurations to test comfort. I’ll also pop into Fisherman’s Supply and try on what they have to compare.
I’ll let you know about the Mucks.
Thanks!
JD
jjdbike

Postby nickh » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:32 pm

I love the guy cotton boot. Started wearing them when they first came out and never looked back. Im probably on my 5th pair. I do not use the liner and wear one pair of smart wool socks. And i dont gear up until the throttles are pulled back.
nickh

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:34 pm

nickh » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:32 pm

I love the guy cotton boot. Started wearing them when they first came out and never looked back. Im probably on my 5th pair. I do not use the liner and wear one pair of smart wool socks. And i dont gear up until the throttles are pulled back.

Jim...

Hope you read Nicks comment because it will be the same as mine. This is what I had on my feet yesterday....Yes, Jan. 3, 2018....and you know how cold it was yesterday.

NO LINER....one pair of top notch winter socks that wick away sweat....and these are the original Guy Cotton commercial work boot that they have made for decades.

Anyone who asks me about the best winter boot is now given the same answer.

1- Buy what you find as the most COMFORTABLE winter boot for YOUR feet

2- Spend the money on purchasing the most recommended winter socks

MOST RECOMMENDED WINTER SOCKS

3- Buy a few pairs of these socks (they may be the ones recommended in hiking stores such as REI)

4- Carry extra socks with you on these trips

5- As Nick says, 'GEAR UP' when your ready to go out the door

6- Check your socks after spending time on deck and if your feet start to get cold

7- If moist, change them

8- If on deck for an extended time, come in the cabin, and warm your feet up with your boots off

Note...the consensus from many who camp and hike is with the better made MERINO WOOL socks being not only the most comfortable against the skin, but are the best as far as keeping your feet warm. They are not cheap when you think about paying 20 dollars with tax for some of the better made Merino wool socks, but I feel the investment should be made in purchasing these type of feet warming socks.

Note II...make sure you buy and I emphasize, a boot comfortable to wear all day. Most people are not on their feet all day, nor trying to keep steady on a rocking vessel. Foot and body fatigue will increase if you get a boot that literally hurts your feet, it is the reason I keep mentioning about finding the right footwear for your feet. Try an orthotic insert BEFORE HAND in your daily use shoes. They work!!!! See how it feels when you slip these into the boots you will be wearing.

Ps...on yesterday's trip, there were a few fishermen who were licensed captains who wore Guy Cotton boots in the past and currently as I saw on this trip. All mentioned that the Guy Cottons boots normally wore-out at the collar of the boot and they eventually replaced them when the soles wore smooth...which takes some amount of time. The liner for these boots are excellent, but again here is where you may cause your feet to sweat with the liner, thus leading the problem you are trying as best to prevent.

EC NEWELLMAN

Postby jjdbike » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:11 am

YankeeCapts wrote:Get the muck style flip flops. Its all you need.

Greg

It’s all YOU need.
You’ve prolly been watching the weather up here and laughing.
Although I see FL got a shot of realtive cold too. News reported “lizard conditions”, i.e iguanas going into shock from the cold and falling from trees : ).
Best Regards!
JD
jjdbike

Postby jjdbike » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:17 am

EC NEWELLMAN wrote:[size=130]
nickh » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:32 pm

Jim...

Hope you read Nicks comment because it will be the same as mine. This is what I had on my feet yesterday....Yes, Jan. 3, 2018....and you know how cold it was yesterday.

Thanks a lot Nick & EC. Greatly appreciate you sharing your expereince & advice.

I recieved the Muck Arctic Ice tall boots today. They are very light, supportive and insuated w/ 2mm foam. They have a Vibram sole designed to grip on wet ice. They are basiclly a tall snow boot. The only two things I’m not totally liking are the height (kind of awkward & completly unneeded) & the price (three times that of the Guy Cotton w/out the liner).
I will certainly check out the Guy Cottons at Fishermen’s supply before we sail. If they fit well and are comfortable, I may buy them & return the Mucks.
I’ll let you know.
Thanks again!
JD
jjdbike

Return to WRECK & BOTTOM FISHING CENTRAL