Old Inlet in Great South Bay

Important breaking news in the fisheries and in the various forums.

Old Inlet in Great South Bay

Postby Hawkboat » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:12 pm

I recieved something from a friend of mine who I fished with for many years, great guy, doesn't fish as much anymore but still has a great interest in the Sorth Shore of Long Island.

There was a breach at what is called the Old Inlet on Fire Island...long story short since Sandy this breach has been a HUGE welcome to people who fish or familair with the Great Souht Bay and this being my old stomping grounds I very familiar with the water flow problen in that area.

This breach has really now opened up and there are many people who love this as it really freshens up the bay...hopefully no more coffee colored water, more bait, more fish, reduces traveling time for fisherman in that area and hopefully the CLAMS come back.

You call tell I am little passionate about this area. ;)

Anyway here is what my buddy asked:

Bill, could you drop a Line to the DEC to help keep the breach open to save and help keep the Great South Bay clean. Thanks

So if anyone out there is from the area or have friends in the area please pass this on.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/about/407.html

Thanks for looking.
CAPT. BILL
Hawkboat

Re: Old Inlet in Great South Bay

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:46 pm

EC NEWELLMAN

Postby Hawkboat » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:55 pm

Thanks Steve ...another very old friend lives close by there and has been updating things on F/B..some of the pictures Mike took are incredable plus the videos...from almost day one or when they where able to get out there...it just amazes me the power or water...how destructive or creative it be and how mother nature can be.

Sort of humbles you a bit doesn't it :?:
CAPT. BILL
Hawkboat

Postby Capt Richie » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:29 pm

Hawkboat wrote:Thanks Steve ...another very old friend lives close by there and has been updating things on F/B..some of the pictures Mike took are incredable plus the videos...from almost day one or when they where able to get out there...it just amazes me the power or water...how destructive or creative it be and how mother nature can be.

Sort of humbles you a bit doesn't it :?:

Thanks Bill for the post...Can your friend give me an idea were it is..Love to take a ride out & see it first hand..
Custom hand crafted fishing rods at an affordable price..
For the Professional & Recreational Angler

Blanks from
Calstar, Lamiglas,Phenix, St Croix & AR custom east-coast blanks by United Composites...
Capt Richie

Postby Hawkboat » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:44 pm

Thanks Rich..I know it just west of Smiths Point Bridge but I am sure these guys will chime in. Mike has some icredable tape of it over a period of weeks...
CAPT. BILL
Hawkboat

Postby scruffman » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Where is that pier/dock in the video located?
scruffman

Postby Hawkboat » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:05 pm

There was a dock with about 20 slips for peole to tie up and then wlk across the dunes to the Ocean side beach.

My buddy had it up on Face Book...from the begining to what it is now......that bay really need that. I tghink it was almost 35 miles between Fire Island and Moriches Inlets so the GSB really never had a good flow. Geez I remember that bay being almost a coffee color sometimes.
CAPT. BILL
Hawkboat

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:08 pm

EC NEWELLMAN

Postby Hawkboat » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:13 am

Knowing that area so well that breach, if it stay open will light up that bay, there sre some many small holes within a few miles either way of that area I can see the local pulling good size fluke in the bay, buckatils those shallows would bring a lot of suprises, bass and blues up the ying yang and if the weakies show that place will be on fire all season. The when the crabs show...look out. :shock:

We always had bunker in the bay, lots of netters early in the season for bunker.

Sorry for the damage that Sandy did cause but sometimes even out of something bad there is always a glimmer of sunshine.
CAPT. BILL
Hawkboat

Postby Proline2 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:06 pm

Hey guys, I keep my boat on Carman's river right across from the breach. This breach area was also the same marina and beach I have been going to by boat all of my life. The first video was right after the storm, some of the pics are from Bellport Dock. The waves were massive. The second video was right around Thanksgiving, the last two around Christmas, this thing changes at every tide. I hope they keep it open, it is already flushing the bay. I am counting the days for the Spring run, that should bring a lot of nice bait in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA0RMPwHByM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZqEsk-9lz0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA4u_ktHpnI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvkLc3wLqn8
Proline2

Next

Return to ANNOUNCEMENTS