SS Miss Belmar and more Belmar boats from the 70-80's

A forum dedicated to posting links of FISHING NEWS gathered from various news sources along with MARITIME stories and images from the past.
Forum rules
Fishing News Links, along with Back in the Day Maritime Images will be placed here.

Re: SS Miss Belmar and more Belmar boats from the 70-80's

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:59 am

The craftsmanship being done throughout the video is incredible and I watched it twice. Pretty neat to see how you build these life-like representations. Looking forward to future videos, thank you.
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby Ken_NJ » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:25 am

Thank you Steve.

The hull of the Big Marie S is now epoxied and sanded smooth. The sides have been scribed to simulate planking. Working on scribing the hull bottom at this time. The hull has not been painted yet, the spottiness is due to epoxy pigment and body filler. Comparison pictures of the SS Miss Belmar and Big Marie S. Both are the same scale which is 1/24th or 1/2 inch to the foot. A scale six foot person on these models would be 3 inches tall. The Miss Belmar is 110' and the Big Marie S is 85'. The models are 55 inches and 42.5 inches respectively.

Still looking for hull bottom, deck, cabin and pilot house pictures of any wooden party boats. I'm in touch with Mel and Mike of Mike's Maritime Memorabilia and Mels Place as well as Joe Galluccio. Hopefully I can find pictures I'm looking for.

Ken_NJ

Postby Ken_NJ » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:12 pm

Belmar Marina, not sure of the year, maybe late 80's. I'll be building some of these boats. Already have the SS Miss Belmar in the distance, but that's the original design. She was upgraded\remodeled in the mid 90's which is how my model appears.

Last edited by Ken_NJ on Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken_NJ

Postby nickh » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:06 pm

Great stuff! I respect your passion.
nickh

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:40 am

Ken...an absolute pleasure to see how this is coming along. The life-like craftsmanship is bringing these vessels back to life in 2020....Thank you!
EC NEWELL MAN

Postby Ken_NJ » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:40 am

Thank you. Appreciate the positive comments! Progress update. Sub-deck installed, rudder support blocks installed, railing is fabricated. Railing consists of 88 pieces of brass tubing that you can see and 86 pins. Each joint is pinned and soldered.

Framework for decking

Sub-deck installed

Rudder blocks

Soldered brass railing

Ken_NJ

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:50 am

My goodness!!!! It is as we are seeing the vessel being built. I keep saying this is one of the most wonderful threads I have ever seen on a fishing forum. A work of art....a true-to-life model of party boat history being assembled before our eyes. I believe all of us cannot wait to see the finished vessel.
EC NEWELL MAN

Postby Ken_NJ » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:45 am

EC NEWELL MAN wrote:\I believe all of us cannot wait to see the finished vessel.

I'm with you on that! Would love for this one to be done and to get started on the next one, the Sea King.

As usual thank you for following along and the comments.
Ken_NJ

Postby MisterX » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:27 am

Spectacular!

Thanks for sharing.
"When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others" - Chinese Proverb
MisterX

Postby Ken_NJ » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:45 am

The Big Marie S now has a cabin with windows. The windows are 1/16" acrylic cut to shape to fit each opening. In the picture the windows still have the protective plastic on them. Working on the cabin upper deck surface. The boats main deck and cabin was planked. I made a jig to cut the 1/4" planks. Each plank will be edge beveled, pre-stain sealed, stained, installed then sealed will urethane. I'll show pics of the deck later.

More info on my website... https://kensmodelboats.com/bms/bms1/

And I have a new picture to use to help build the model. If anyone has pictures from an older wooden party boat please let me know. Pictures with boat details in the background are helpful.

Ken_NJ

PreviousNext

Return to FISHING NEWS LINKS & BACK IN THE DAY STORIES & MARITIME IMAGES