New England Boats

This forum is dedicated to all you love fishing on Party and Charter Boats.

New England Boats

Postby ocblues » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:29 pm

Howdy All,

I've become addicted to groundfishing since moving to New England several years ago. Its something I never experienced before fishing down in South Jersey. Unfortunately, I seemed to have come on the scene at a bad time for cod stocks. Seems that only the RI boats are codfishing these days, which don't get me wrong, is still a blast, but I have missed out on the George's Bank/Nantucket/GOM fisheries. Last year I made longer treks to Gloucester and Sea Brook to fish with the Yankee Fleet and Eastman's boats. The pollock fishing this fall with both those boats was incredible. Has anyone fished on the Bunny Clark or Al Gauron boats and could share their experiences? I've not heard good things about these boats, but the reviews were from Tripadvisor and Yelp, and I think that many of the negative reviews could be attributed to tourists/inexperienced fisherfolks out for a day on the water. Besides, it looks like the Bunny Clark catches some monster fish. Is there enough of a fishery between haddock/cusk/hake/pollock, etc., to make the trip up to Maine from Connecticut worth it? Let me know your thoughts.
ocblues

Re: New England Boats

Postby nickh » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:59 am

Helen-H He does Georges and Nantucket trips.
nickh

Postby nickh » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:01 am

YOu havent missed out on these fisheries. FIsh are still caught in good numbers on these trips
nickh

Postby outeast » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:56 am

bunny clark can be great but you want to do a extreme day trip or marathon trip... not because of the nature of the trip but because on the extended trips he limits the boat to a reasonable amount of people... I have been on the BC in the summer on the weekend with 30 people.. and its a 42 footer lol
outeast

Postby MisterX » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:26 am

Bring your rain gear.......even on a calm, sunny day.......LOL
"When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others" - Chinese Proverb
MisterX

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:42 am

Captain Tim Tower of the fv BUNNY CLARK is one of the finest if not the finest party boat captain in the GOMaine region. You will not be disappointed when you make, as others have mentioned with signing up for the extreme or marathon type trips he does during the season.

Tower's attention to tackle rivals that of any world-class marlin skipper, and he furnishes top-shelf outfits. He's tried a number of models of reels over the years, and has currently settled on the Pro Gear brand. These solid-frame reels are expensive at around $250 each, yet are favored for their smooth drags and ease in casting heavy jigs. He has them modified by Bob Nixon of New Hampshire, then loads them with 50- to 80-pound low-stretch Spectra for increased sensitivity and positive hook-setting at depths that can well exceed 300 feet.

Tower started tagging cod in 1983, and put his own address on the tags. "I did it mostly for my own interest," he says, "and to give my customers something to do with their fish instead of wasting them. It was basically to promote conservation. Years ago we used to fillet out what people wanted, then dump the rest. I wanted to get away from that."

Read more here:

CAPTAIN TIM TOWER - MARATHON MAN STORY: THE INSIDE STORY
EC NEWELLMAN

Return to PARTYBOAT AND CHARTER FORUM