DEC 24, 2017 - NY BIGHT INSIDER: MERRY CHRISTMAS - A LITTLE OF THIS & THAT FOR THE HOLIDAYS

This forum is dedicated to all you love fishing on Party and Charter Boats.

DEC 24, 2017 - NY BIGHT INSIDER: MERRY CHRISTMAS - A LITTLE OF THIS & THAT FOR THE HOLIDAYS

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:54 pm

** NY BIGHT INSIDER **

>> MERRY CHRISTMAS 2017 <<

(Thanks Maria - from one of the most recent VOYAGER offshore trips)

For fishermen, a most welcome sight to see each and every morning especially when going offshore at this time of the year. Enjoy the weather we are currently having as seems we have a frosty-stretch coming up within the next week. I just like to pass a few bits of news along with the message of enjoying the holidays with family and friends....
================

FIRST, SOME TROUBLING FISHING NEWS ON

BLACKFISH

(Thanks to Captain Steve of the LADY M with a good catch these days)

Just a little while ago, I saw Captain Greg of the OCEAN EAGLE V and we talked for a few moments about the black fishing that anglers had in the Bay during the fall. The news should not shock anyone when it comes from the finest captain I know when it comes to this particular species. We are definitely undergoing a downward slide to scrapping the bottom....literally, in catching a 4 fish limit on a party boat.

I also have talked to Captain Steve of the LADY M the other day and he summed it up as, "17 is no longer 17...and you cannot count on steaming out there to make a catch of large size blackfish anymore." Mind you, for a charter boat! He also added that you barely pick away through the old traditional spots in the FISHERMEN, SCOTLAND and NEW BOTTOM area and all too many times there is a little bite when you first get to a drop, and then it goes dead. "Move the boat to another spot and repeat in catching a bare handful of fish on the next drop...if you're lucky...."

I wish I had better news here, and once again we wonder what the wizards are doing over at the NYS DEC in addressing some very serious issues with black fishing in NY waters. Enjoy what is left of the 2017 season here in the NY-NJ BIGHT.

(Courtesy of Captain Steve - LADY M)

================

GOING, GOING....GONE

ANOTHER SUPER CRUISER LEAVES THE BAY

(Attribution: BOATS & HARBORS - Dec.)

The triple-screw cream colored Yank built boat has been in the 'sheets' for awhile, and finally someone finally made a deal to take her from the Bay and move it out east. During the few....very few years while in business here in the Bay, most will remember here as sailing as a half-day groupon boat that was normally somewhat busy during the summer then sat tied to the dock for most of the calendar year.

Some have had mixed feelings on seeing here leave.... especially if one went through some of the comments made and seen on socialized media in the past few days.... but I do hope it works out as a 'YANK' boat originally built as the:

(Attribution: Mikes Memorabilia @ MELS-PLACE)

Then to become the 'ATLANTIS PRINCESS' sailing from Great Kills, Staten Island:

(Thanks to Capt. FS for forwarding me this image)

Where the boat did have an engine room fire during a tuna trip and later had this happen due to Super Storm Sandy:

It later came to the Bay where it was renamed 'RANGER' with the 'VI' designation:

(Image taken 12.18.17)

To now being the new 'ATLANTIC PEARL' out of FREEPORT...eventually:

(Thanks to Captain Keith A. for sending over this image)

Hopefully more pics of this vessel once it is repainted. Best of luck....
============

ANOTHER LONG TIME NEIGHBORHOOD FISH STORE

''PERMANENTLY CLOSED"

(Thanks to RALPH 'RODWINDER'

Just the other day, Ralph or 'RODWINDER ULTRA-CUSTOM RODS' sent over this image of one the more noted retail fish stores in Brooklyn with something along the lines of "no one knowing that it closed up." The strange part about Ralph telling me this, was that I was previously at this location the day before and noticed two new stores across the street, with my old foot doctor location now gone!"

Times are changing here in Bensonhurst where 'SEA BREEZE II' a well noted quality seafood business, all of a sudden just closed down right before the holiday.

As I said to a few people who know the area, you can see what has happened to the neighborhood with the first being the legendary 'HENRY'S FISH MARKET' on 18th Ave and 60 street, and now 'SEA BREEZE II' on 18th Ave and 85 street, are now a memory only preserved in pictures. Hard to believe, but I will keep an eye out for any stories on why this noted seafood business is now shuttered.
===================

THERE WAS A LITTLE JOKE GOING ON AROUND HERE ABOUT

THE 2018 FISHING SEASON

(Thanks to BN who passed this along)

After last year on the VOYAGER - NANTUCKET WRECK & JIGGING TRIPS, I believe a few of us are gearing up for next season in trying to have one lucky angler bring back another 'butt' when doing these long range trips.

So far in talking with one of the handgear fishermen I know, it seems that this was one of the best years in decades for rod and reel caught halibut, along with some very positive signs with the traditionally targeted groundfish stocks starting to become more common once again. He did note some of the readings of 'Boston Blues' under the vessel on a recent trip:

For those who love to fish for cod, pollock, and haddock, along with catching record size bergalls, white hake and whiting, we do something to look forward to with Captain Jeff and the VOYAGER in 2018....

=========================

SINCE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT WRECKS

HERE ARE A FEW FISHED THAT ARE A LONG WAY FROM HOME

I am not going to say where these wrecks are, or on what vessel these pics came from...at least at this time. All I am going to say is to enjoy looking at them and fantasizing what was caught on each of these spots......

=============================

IS THIS A GOOD DEAL FOR A NEW PRO GEAR REEL?

(Thanks to FP)

One of my good buddies here in the County of the KINGS, sent me this and was asking about the new Pro Gear star drag reels. In particular he was wondering if this was for reel as the price did make one wonder if it was either a mistake in the listing, a possible scam or in fact the price you can now pick up these reels.

I told him straight out, I did not know nor have I heard any feedback from any fishermen buying these southeast Asian manufactured reels with the name 'PRO GEAR' attached to them. I did recommend to go over and read this on CHARKBAIT online which made some very interesting comments about the product.

Personally, I would hedge to be careful in buying the new Pro Gear reels as product support (aka parts) may not be readily available, especially if something as simple as a spring breaks within the reel. In closing, I did pass along that I have been following Pro Gear Reels since they introduced this line of reels and it did draw my attention when I saw a shocking price drop from roughly 249 dollars to 199 dollars for the VIOLATOR or V series reels within the first year when they were available.

If anyone knows more about these Pro Gear V series reels from fishing with them, please let us know. They do look like a solid fishing reel, but until such time we are made aware that product parts support is again available, just keep this in the back of your mind if you see "such a deal" like my buddy saw a few weeks ago.
========================

IT IS CHRISTMAS EVE NIGHT AND I DO WANT TO LEAVE YOU WITH THIS...

(Courtesy of Captain JOE KING COD)

Yes, some big BO's are now around as we can see 'Eyeglass Joe' holding some big boys caught on the most recent offshore wreck trip. Captain Joe did say to me yesterday that he is looking forward to starting the hunt for the winter king starting after the New Year.

As important....

Once again, enjoy the good things in life with family and friends and hopefully better times for not only the fishing industry and fishermen, but for our country in 2018....

EC Newellman
EC NEWELLMAN

Return to PARTYBOAT AND CHARTER FORUM