SEPT 19, 2013 - NY BIGHT INSIDER - SPECIAL FALL EDITION - VOYAGER BLUELINE TILES - PILOT II & BACKYARD ENGINEERING - TUNA/TILE "STUFF" & MORE

This forum is dedicated to all you love fishing on Party and Charter Boats.

SEPT 19, 2013 - NY BIGHT INSIDER - SPECIAL FALL EDITION - VOYAGER BLUELINE TILES - PILOT II & BACKYARD ENGINEERING - TUNA/TILE "STUFF" & MORE

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:11 pm

** NY BIGHT INSIDER **

>> SEPTEMBER 19, 2013 <<

~ SPECIAL FALL EDITION ~

VOYAGER - SEPT 8, 2013 TILES & MORE

(All pics courtesy of Mel Deak of Mels-Place & Captain Jeff)

To answer a question that was asked to me about what reels the regulars use on deep drop trips, here is a close up of two of the top of the line hand crank reels. Notice the rock cod sinker in the first image.

NORTH OF ATLANTIS CANYON
TUNA TRIP

A big thanks to Mike M. who passed this along!

Mike made a trip up to Rhode Island to fish with some good friends who made the steam out to 45 fathoms of water in this area:

Primarily using green machines and skirted ballyhoo, went 9/10 on LF, a few mahi on other lures, and had a mako (undersize he said) up to the boat before it broke the line. He also said that the fish are feeding on squid.

SINCE WE ARE TALKING TUNA.......

You never know which canyon you will find the big ones..........

KEEP AN EYE OUT WHEN NAVIGATING THROUGH
FIRE ISLAND INLET

This is more of a service/safety issue which was posted at M.E. Zuckerberg's site by Sea Tow Great South Bay about a pretty serious condition for those who transit and fish out of Fire Island Inlet.

With fishermen going through the inlet during this upcoming fall season for blackfish season as well as striped bass, pay attention to not only the height of the tide, but also wind direction/speed and other conditions which can dramatically increase the "pucker factor" 10 fold when navigating Fire Island Inlet,

(Source: Great South Bay Sea Tow on FB)

Thank Sea Tow Great South Bay for this important safe navigating information!

BLACKFISH SEASON ALMOST HERE
IT IT POSSIBLE THAT ANOTHER RECORD CAN BE BROKEN
AS WILL ARROYO REMINDED ME?

Will Arroyo contacted me last week about picking up a custom made tog stick from one of the local rod builders. His intention is to now target the IGFA record size blackfish.

Going back and forth with Will, he reminded me that he was the fishermen who caught one of the biggest blackfish ever landed on a Sheepshead Bay party boat, in this case while fishing with the late Tommy Marconi on the PILOT II. That mule weighted in at over 16.5 lbs.

He also pointed out to me that this was not his personal biggest blackfish. His biggest was officially weighted in at Bernies and tipped the scales at 17.3 lbs, while fishing with a local fishermen on a private boat.

It is coming to the time of the year which marks the start to catching bulldog size blackfish not only in the NY BIGHT area but throughout the southern New England area. Just last year Captain Greg Nardiello of the OCEAN EAGLE V was the latest to up the New York State blackfish record with a 21.06 caught off the "Bullet Grounds", and there are some fishermen like Will who are now looking to go out there this fall and target"Big Freddie."

For those interested in one of the better tog articles I have seen (Will pointed this out), go here to read where all these record size blackfish were caught:

SUPER TOG ROUND-UP A review of bulldogs past and present leaves the author wondering if the next world or state record is just a hook-set away

NY BIGHT BLACKFISH REGS:

>> NYS BLACKFISH SEASON <<
4 TOGGIES @16" : Oct 5 - Dec 14

>> NEW JERSEY BLACKFISH SEASON <<

THE LATEST ON THE LAST
PILOT II

Thanks to Greg Kennedy who passed these images along of one of the most famous names and noted bottom fishing boats in the for-hire fishing business

From the looks of it, seems someone has been doing a little "backyard engineering." Believe or not, this would not look out of place at the old West Side 79st Boat Basin.

JUST A FEW THINGS IN THE EMAIL BASKET

THIEVING BAS-TARDS

One of the really good guys around here along with several other fishermen, had their boats broken into at Bay End last week. This particular fishermen told me:

They made off with was half a dozen "boat" rods. Mainly ugly sticks like the yellow one Chuckie from the Jet uses and a few squidders, jigmasters and okumas. They did get my favorite stick a b.s. Penn pursuit I loved.

Anyone who hears of any "hot" tackle being sold at a give-away price, contact me and I will forward the info to this fishermen. Just return the tackle, no questions will be asked.

IS THIS FOR REAL?

I did get an email which made me wonder for a few moments:

1963 - 65' Gillian party boat "Sea Wolf" up for sale

Please let me know if the Sea Wolf is still for sale. Also, the location, current condition and the asking price of the boat. Thank you.

To answer this question....tragically what remains of the vessel is scattered in this area:

THE HUNT CONTINUES FOR THE ORIGINAL SABRE BLANKS
QUESTION SHOULD BE WHY?

I received this email from a fishermen in Texas, and if ANYONE can help, contact me and I will put you in touch with this fishermen:

Can anybody let me know where a person can get hold of the 10' honey gold heavy duty tuna sticks (blanks ) that we use to be able to get from California Tackle made by Sabre? Thanks. They had like a no. 30 tip, real heavy duty blanks.

LIKE I SAID LAST YEAR
CONSUMERS WILL BUY CODFISH BUT
THAT DOES NOT MEAN THEY WERE
'CAUGHT IN NEW ENGLAND WATERS'

Last year with the New England ground fishery being pushed off the cliff by NMFS brutal/miniscule cod allocation, the thought from one small boat fishermen was that prices/returns to the commercial boats still left in the fishery would be higher then what they see now.

Now some would say the underpinnings of this theory is one of the dynamics of Engels Law, where the scarcity of a product would result in the price of that product to rise. But in this case, Engels Law doesn't necessarily translate to the return of more Benjamin's to the vessel selling New England caught codfish.

There is a simple reason why. and it is that cod fishing grounds are not unique to New England, but scattered around in cold water areas around the globe. Since codfish can be purchased in other markets, both domestic and foreign, prices per pound for what is FAS (frozen at sea) will most likely be cheaper then what one would normally pay for locally caught codfish.

Really?

FAIRWAY FOODS, a purveyor of high quality food products, clearly illustrate this with the special price on Alaskan caught cod....and it's not the first time where I have seen seafood markets in my neighborhood selling codfish which is labeled "Alaskan" or product of Alaska, and being sold at a very reasonable price which made me do a double take.

I should point out a few other points here, as FAIRWAY FOODS which has a few outlets in the NY area, has a top notch seafood department. It will sell various seafood products from along the coast, and has no compunction of selling other products caught from a New England fishing port as I saw in bluefish and scup in the big display case with the New England caught label.

The bigger picture though is that there is a growing worldwide export market for codfish, most notably out of Europe, with Atlantic caught codfish now dramatically rising in poundage shipped from overseas within the last year. To wit:

Overall fresh fillet exports from Iceland nearly doubled over first six months of the year, driven by huge increase in sales to the UK and US.

FISHERY NATION: Imported Iceland fresh cod fillet sales to US soar nearly tripling purchases to 936t, up from 355t a year ago

It does make one wonder, what New England fishermen are being paid for their codfish. For those who are wondering what the return of codfish to a New England groundfish boat is, one of the best places to find out is the Portland Fish Exchange All-Display Seafood Auction

So far during the first week in September, post the Labor Day period the return on codfish:

I did speak with a New England fishing industry blogger yesterday who told me that the return to the boat on codfish is roughly the same from what he was paid almost two decades ago (1990's, and combine that with much higher expenses these days).

Getting back to FAIRWAY, it stands to reason that a high end seafood retailer will purchase whatever they believe will sell well in the store and normally you will see Florida caught Grouper which retails at $22 and $18 dollars on display, which is in the ballpark per pound of some prime cuts of beef. It seems that this purveyor of fine seafood would pay the price to buy New England caught codfish, espeically since it can be marketed as locally caught fresh fish.

But there are two questions that need to be asked.......

1- When your dealing with tight margins, why would a seafood retailer buy New England caught codfish when there may be a noticeably higher margin in selling the Alaskan landed, handled and packaged product?

2- Would anyone truly miss buying and eating New England caught cod on the retail level if you can purchase Alaskan or Icelandic caught cod at a lower price?

Startling right, but when most consumers make purchases based upon comparison pricing and with imported finfish products not only taking up more display space but having better/competitive pricing points, how can New England caught codfish bring a higher return to fishermen?

By the way though the price may be seductive for an impulse purchase, here is something you should know:

For more info on "Alaskan" codfish which is actually Pacific Cod, this site gives an short descriptive about the "other" codfish: FISH CHOICE.COM: Pacific Cod - Market Report -February 2013 One little bit of information to know if you do buy Pacific Cod:

Substitution options: Pacific cod has a higher moisture content than Atlantic cod and for that reason is not considered as good for breaded and battered fried applications. In other applications Pacific cod is a substitute for Atlantic cod and lingcod.

SOME THOUGHTS ON ELECTRIC REELS
FOR DEEP DROPPING

Lately there has been moe questions on whether it is necessary to purchase an electric reel for deep drop fishing. The answer though, depends on the individual fishermen and as a noted offshore captain who explained to me the other day, electric reels do have their place on these trips.

Let us just highlight a few talking points.....

PRIMARY THOUGHTS TO CONSIDER BEFORE A PURCHASE

1- How many trips will you make during a season on a particular vessel which fishes for tilefish and other deep water bottom fish.

2- Will you have more use, thus receiving greater value over the years when purchasing a high-end two speed reel then an electric reel?

WHERE THE ELECTRIC REEL BENEFITS AN ANGLER

1- Deep drop prospecting in an area, especially in the northeast with dogfish being a problem during certain times of the year in the canyon(s).

2- Fishermen who do not have the physical stamina to hand crank from depths over 60 fathoms for a full day or two.

3- Lessen angler fatigue on multi-day trips.

PROBLEMS ALONG THE RAIL WITH ELECTRICAL REELS

1- Tangles seem to somehow be accentuated.

2- Pulled hooks become more evident when pulling big fish up from the depths.

3- Lack of mobility along the rail especially when one uses the older electrical reels.

4- Nullification of any record size fish caught on a electrical reel.

Electric reels do have their place. Among the various electric reels currently on the market, Diawa dues make one of the more popular line of electric reels which we see in this region with the Daiwa Power Assist Reels being by far the most common.

For those who do a few deep drop trips during a season and buy an electric reel it is highly recommended to have TWO front line hand crank reels, whether single or preferably two speed.

Finally, if you do make an investment in a electric reel, just a few things:

1- Before buying one, mount it on the rod you are going to use for deep dropping

2- In comparing prices, the extra money is better spent in purchasing the more modern and compact electric reels, instead of buying an older Electra-Mate or picking up an old Miya Epoch, which always seem to pop up on these trips. For the life of me, I cannot see anyone dragging one of these reels around when their are more viable and practical options on the electric reel market.

A FEW RELEVANT CURRENT NEWS STORIES

My favorite Alaskan crab boat will not be around on the DEADLIEST CATCH anymore:

Fans of the late Capt. Phil Harris, his sons Josh and Jake, and their boat, the F/V Cornelia Marie, have watched father-son drama, the grief of the sons at the loss of their father in early 2010, Jake's battle with substance abuse, and Josh's new fatherhood and ultimately successful bid to gain ownership of the Cornelia Marie.
So to all my fans that watched the show, Deadliest Catch, the Cornelia Marie was not optioned this year so we regretfully will not be on the show anymore.

'Deadliest Catch': Josh Harris says no more Cornelia Marie - BREAKING

============

Good old FOX NEWS along with Mark Levin (just last night too), have been highly supportive of New England fishermen over the past few years. Where has the lame-stream media been in keeping the plight of the commercial fishermen in this country been in the public's mind?

In case you missed the video on GRETA:

America's oldest fishing industry sinking fast

=================

GREEN CRABS

A TALE OF TWO DIFFERENT STORIES - WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE?

INVASIVE PEST OR BENEFITING COASTAL MARCH AREAS

Lately stories about our common blackfish bait the green crab, are popping up more often then one would think in the news. What really caught my attention was these two stories which contradict each other. Personally I will tend to believe that their is a benefit to green crab invasion in upper New England and Canada, and one benefit as their range expands, should be extended to fishermen in lower prices when green crabs are purchased.

Story 1 - INVASIVE SPECIES:

Because of the invasive nature of the species, McKenzie said there has been a lot of concern among fishermen, mainly because they destroy eelgrass in search of food. Eelgrass is ecologically important in the area for all species of juvenile fish, including cod. “We are working on the paper now that shows, in areas where there are green crab, that the eelgrass is almost completely gone,” she said.

Green crab creeps further north

Story 2 - IN A SCIENCE MAGAZINE:

And they're hungry, feasting on the tender young shoots of cordgrass (Spartina alterniflora), which is the predominant plant in the salt marshes. In addition, the crab burrows make the soil more likely to erode. Over the past 3 decades, more and more salt marsh has been laid bare.
But about 3 years ago, Bertness noticed that cordgrass was starting to recover. "This was quite surprising," he says. Soon, he realized that salt marshes with lots of green crabs were doing the best. It was a bit odd to find the green crabs there, because these crabs, which invaded New England more than 100 years ago, tend to live near the shore, where they can hide under rocks.
To test the idea that this was how green crabs are indirectly helping the cordgrass, Bertness and his lab manager, Tyler Coverdale, surveyed 10 marshes on Cape Cod in August 2012. They found that, in fact, recovering patches of salt marsh did have denser populations of green crabs. And they confirmed the brutal nature of green crabs: When confined in cages and pitted one against another, green crabs evicted marsh crabs from their burrows.

SCIENCE NOW: Hated Invasive Species Helps Restore an Ecosystem

==============

COD IS NO LONGER KING IN LANDINGS OFF CAPE COD
ACCORDING TO RECENT LANDINGS

The most recent landings report from the Cape Cod "Hookers", excuse me their name was changed in June to the Cape Cod Commercial Fishermen's Alliance, the following two fish now have the highest landings. The reason I point this out was that a local draggerman here over 20 years ago Frankie "Tami-Gale" told me that eventually the biggest catches of fish in New England would be skates and dogfish by the way things were going......and mind you, he told me this in the 1990's and I doubted that this would occur.

#1- WINTER SKATE
#2- SPINY BOW-WOW

#3- COD
#4- HADDOCK
#5- MONKFISH

SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND FISHERY NEWS: GROUNDFISH - SKATE & DOGFISH NOW DOMINATE LANDINGS

==========

LONG ISLAND SOUND LOBSTER FISHERY
WHERE DID IT GO?

Troubling news, and I can imagine these remaining lobstermen will continue to target the other pot loving species in LIS....and who could blame them?

“There’s hardly anything being caught in the Sound anymore,” Mr. Hasbrouck said. “Most of the lobstermen have gotten out of it. They’ve either left fishing altogether or they are involved in other fisheries.” Lobstermen once traveled to Orient from as far as City Island in the Bronx to fish for lobster in the Sound, Mr. Hasbrouck said.
A couple of hundred men tended the many lobster boats, each of which was typically fishing about 1,000 pots. “Today, you simply couldn’t make it as a lobsterman,” Mr. King said.

THE SUFFOLK TIMES: Locals reflect on dying industry as sound closes to fall lobster harvesting

=============

A INTROSPECTIVE TRIBUTE TO NEW ENGLAND'S FINEST INVESTIGATIVE FISHING JOURNALIST

If you look back at the COMMERCIAL FISHING FORUM, you will note the stories I posted by GLOUCESTER DAILY TIMES reporter, Richard Gaines. He was the driving force that brought to light the abuses against fishermen by the rogue federal agencies (among many now), NOAA and the NMFS. Spend a moment reading the farewell tribute and thanks written by his wife. I highly doubt there will be a journalist who will have as profound an effect on the fishing industry as the late Richard Gaines. He is undoubtedly missed by many.

As I get ready to lock the door behind me and drive down the gravel lane away from Quarry Street, I carry a profound gratitude for the 14 years Richard and I had here, and the people who helped him make these the best years of his life.

GDT: September 12, 2013 My View: Nancy's farewell to Richard Gaines

===========

WARPED LIBERAL LOGIC ABOUT OUR GROUND FISHERIES
THIS TIME FROM A CANADIAN

Sometimes you have to wonder when a liberal politician gets on top of their soapbox and opens up their pie hole.

Liberal leadership candidate Danny Duma­resque says fishermen need to catch a lot more cod very quickly or run the risk of a fisheries collapse that will be “10 times what it was in 1992.”

Now the reality from one of the most preeminent scientist on Atlantic codfish, and one I have quoted many times here before:

But fisheries scientist George Rose says the kind of thinking coming from Dumaresque and other people in the fishing industry is total hubris and recklessly irresponsible. But Rose, who has been doing fisheries research for almost 30 years and is the fisheries conservation chair at the Marine Institute, said that approach is wrong.
“That’s nonsense,” he said. “I mean, that is trying to engineer a very complex marine ecosystem and we just cannot do that, and it’s foolish to think that we could.” Rose said cod are indeed making a comeback, and the crab is declining, but that doesn’t mean one is causing the other.

For my buddy Bore Head:

In fact, Rose said the decline in crab stocks has more to do with climate change than with predation. “The main driver of this is not one species eating another one or whatever. The main driver of this is change in the ocean climate, change in the basic ecosystem,” he said. “The crab and shrimp are cold water species.”

THE TELEGRAM: Crab and shrimp being decimated by fish, Dumaresque says

===========

SEAFREEZE - PRICE LIST

Besides the most recent news that seafood IMPORTS into the US have almost broached the 90% mark, take a look at the available seafood products here:

SEAFREEZE - PRICE LIST (FAS- FROZEN AT SEA)

============

WHEN BLUEFIN WAS ONLY GOOD ENOUGH FOR CATS TO EAT

The stories were true from "back in the day" to where a good amount of bluefin ended up, mixed into dog and cat food.

Many—probably thousands—of enormous bluefins caught last century by sport fishermen were killed, hoisted for photographs, then either thrown out entirely or sold to processors of cat and dog food.

SMITHSONIAN.COM: From Cat Food to Sushi Counter: The Strange Rise of the Bluefin Tuna

============

ROCKFISH - DOJ - WITNESS INTIMIDATION & LOOKING AT HARD TIME

This recent release by the AG Holders DOJ is an eye raiser:

“Stealing striped bass and intimidating witnesses are crimes against our natural resources and against the citizens of Maryland,” If convicted, Hayden faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison on each of four counts of witness tampering and witness retaliation.

COMMERCIAL FISHERMAN CHARGED WITH WITNESS TAMPERING RELATED TO AN INVESTIGATION INTO THE ILLEGAL HARVESTING OF STRIPED BASS

TILEFISH RIGS
REVISITED ONCE AGAIN!
"IF IT GLOWS"

I was reminded just yesterday how some top captains and fishermen I know are now making their own tilefish rigs. It is really great to see that all the information that has been posted on FISHING UNITED.COM, has spurred a few guys to go out and purchase all the materials that are needed to make both a functional and productive tilefish/deep drop rig.

The one point I like to emphasize here, all you need are these essential elements which we have recommended before, which consists of:

- Heavy leader material (80 lb test and greater)
- Circle Hooks
- Glow element whether beads, tubing or plastic squids
- HD 3 way swivel, barrel swivel and snap for the sinker

Most of all, if you know where to shop, you will be surprised at how reasonably priced all the terminal tackle below can be purchased at.

(Image courtesy of Captain Chet)

PICTURE TIME!

SOME OF THE IMAGES YOU HAVE TO LOOK REALLY CLOSE

I enjoy getting pics from fishermen, and some require you to really pay attention out there!

BEST PIC OF FISH & A PARTY BOAT

Taken by Erik Kihss. This is my favorite way to take a memorable fishing shot, and I have always found Captain Rob's - CAPTREE PRINCESS to be one of the most eye-catching party boats on the coast.

YES WE STILL CATCH WEAKFISH AROUND NYC

Sent to me by Captain Steve of the BIG M EXPRESS of some nice weakfish caught on the ISLAND CURRENT. By the way, if you know where to look, there are still a few weakfish around....

F/V BUNNY CLARK - TWO HALIBUT CAUGHT IN ONE DAY

Thanks to Bob Nixon who gave me the heads up on Captain Tim Tower making this special catch. What I noticed was how this halibut took this treble hook, right where it should:

(Source: Captain Tim - Bunny Clark - FISHING UPDATE)

I CRINGE WHEN THEY PICK UP AN INSHORE WRECK!

Sent to me by my internet buddy Robert. It just happened he also located this wreck too.

BE MINDFUL OF THE FISH YOU RETAIN WHILE FISHING IN THE EEZ

I was given a heads up about this pic from another fishing site, and needless to say ALL fishermen should makes themselves familiar with the NORTHEAST (NE) MULTISPEICES - INFO WORKSHEET: FOR-HIRE & RECREATIONAL FISHING and look at the last listing in the species box............

THERE MUST BE SOMETHING IN THE WATER OFF NEW JERSEY

You do not see this too often....in fact, its pretty rare. Thanks to Captain Jeff for passing this one along of some Barnegat caught summer flounder.......

Can't figure it out?

=============

OPERATION ENDURING "OBUMMER" IN THE WHITE HOUSE CONTINUES

Since the HOPE & CHANGE we wish for isn't coming quick enough, President Zero has another new first......Yes, over 1000 days as reported in the business section of the NY POST, with the price of gasoline over 3 dollars the longest in our nations history. The negative economic effect and cost to the American public and those in the fishing and marine industry, is staggering. I was just told the other day by a fishing operation that they were paying as high as $4.69 for diesel fuel. The question is why when the US now has the resources to be totally energy independent via fracking and technology which makes once impossible oil extraction, now possible?

Well we know why, and its all about the false "Green Hope" of battery power cars, windmills off our coast and who knows whatever else crony capitalism can be dished out of our Energy Department with our taxpayer dollars.

So this last week after the Head Bumbler and Chief was bailed out by Putin on Syria (its sort of a win, right Jay Carney?), why doesn't he do something positive for the American people and approve the KEYSTONE XL PIPELINE? Then again, I might as well stick that thought in my collectible 'Breaking Bad' meth pipe and smoke it............

To wit just a couple of days ago!

Four US senators asked the Obama administration not to delay a decision on the proposed Keystone XL crude oil pipeline's cross-border permit because the US Department of State inspector general's office is investigating the project's draft supplemental environmental impact statement.

An earlier DOS IG office investigation of the project's original EIS for alleged conflicts of interest found none, Sens. John Hoeven (R-ND), Max Baucus (D-Mont.), John Thune (R-ND), and Mary L. Landrieu (D-La.) jointly observed on Aug. 29.

Their request came 6 days after the IG's office said the latest inquiry might not be finished until 2014, but would consider findings and recommendations from the earlier examination which were released in February 2012.

Deferring the decision until 2014 would extend the administration's deliberations into an unprecedented sixth year, the senators noted.

"This marks the fourth delay of the Keystone XL project since 2011, when [DOS] issued its final EIS finding no significant environmental impact and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton informed me that the agency expected to make a decision by December of that year," Hoeven said. "This tactic of delay and deferral must stop."

OIL & GAS JOURNAL: SEPT. 16, 2013 - Senators urge Obama not to delay Keystone XL decision again

How any politician can block and not push for the permit approval on KEYSTONE XL, is mind boggling and should not be elected to office or if in office, put on the unemployment line come the next election.

RUMOR MILL NEVER ENDS

Questions continue on when the new Super Atomic, Tampa VIII, Explorer Princess, NIKE III, or Ranger "whatever" is coming to a pier in the Bay.

Here is not only mine, but answer from a few others:

For what business in the Bay, one really has to wonder?

REAUTHORIZE MAGNUSON-STEVENS HEARINGS

Has anyone talked about the latest hearings to ease catch limits and more flexibility in rebuilding timetables?

With all the BS on various fishing sites, one has to wonder why no one has made any noise on the most impacting and far reaching law upon fishermen.

I am not a fan of M.E. Zuckerberg's site, so I am wishing a HAPPY BIRTHDAY to:

Captain John "Shammy" Bogan
Captain Roger Bing
Captain Gary Greco

For now this is a wrap as we come up to the start of the fall fishing season. I have a few stories i have to get to, and one was based upon some observations I made over six separate codfish trips this summer, along with apiece of tackle I missed using on till I was reminded by Karl D. in a few emails.

Anyway, time to get some tackle together, and get ready for the next trip. I can use a few of these delicious delights in my refrigerator right now.

(A OMF jumbo Red Hake)

EC NEWELLMAN

Re: SEPT 19, 2013 - NY BIGHT INSIDER - SPECIAL FALL EDITION - VOYAGER BLUELINE TILES - PILOT II & BACKYARD ENGINEERING - TUNA/TILE "STUFF" & MORE

Postby Cape Cod 19 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:32 pm

Absolutely amazing how much you can pack into one post Steve! Keep up the good work, this is priceless!
Please visit my blog for past articles -
http://capecodfisherman.net/ccfblog
Cape Cod 19

Re: SEPT 19, 2013 - NY BIGHT INSIDER - SPECIAL FALL EDITION - VOYAGER BLUELINE TILES - PILOT II & BACKYARD ENGINEERING - TUNA/TILE "STUFF" & MORE

Postby BingoRB » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:28 pm

Thanks for the birthday wishes steve.
Bingo Fishing Charters
631-495-1786
Capt. Roger Bing
USCG 100 Ton Master
USCG 3rd Asst. Engineer Unlimited Horsepower
www.bingo-fishing.com
BingoRB

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:54 am

Good morning John and everyone...

Thank you....definitely will keep your attention for a few minutes reading through this.

Big hake question......what was the biggest I have personally seen I was asked last night.

Roger holding "not officially weighted" at a tackle shop (which was a mistake at the time), over 8 lbs caught on the OCEAN EAGLE V a few years back in the middle of JULY. These fish come out of the Hole and through the BA area and 17 fathoms in the spring. This was one big fish and it was good eating.

I had a personal best caught on the 'R' Dream wreck that Captain Richie Kessinger located a few years back in June 2008. Another one "unofficially weighted" on a digital scale on the boat of around 7 lbs.

These corn-fed fish will take jigs and cod flies too, but that is another story to be told at a later date.
EC NEWELLMAN

Postby R SONS » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:53 am

when buck tailing fluke we use the term crossed that ones eyes, i will bet i rolled that one . great read steve,
R SONS

Postby Capt. Rick » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:21 pm

Steve, Here are a couple of monsters for you an 8 and 7.5 +-

Capt. Rick - MISS BERYL CHARTERS
516 359 6462 - www.missberyl.com
Capt. Rick

Postby nickh » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:44 pm

I've probably seen 20 or so backwards fluke over the years working on the partyboat. When you grab them to take the hook out, your brain quickly discovers, "There's something wrong here."
nickh

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:27 pm

Yes Nick, a "backwards" fluke! I just wonder what the odds are there with fluke like that.

Rick those are something else you had that day. Where those big hake came from, one can only wonders. Definitely the two biggest in one picture I have ever seen. Those are the ones you wish you can catch all the time. Feed a family of four off one of those fish.

EC NEWELLMAN

Postby nickh » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:33 pm

I own a 5 1/2 foot mh original honey sabre. It has the rt.66 sticker on it. I bought the blank in 1995 at a shop where they looked like they had been sitting around for a while. I think I paid something like $40 for it at the time. I only bought one of the8 or 10 they had. Went back a couple of years later......gone. :(
nickh

Postby nickh » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:40 pm

ling and cod 009.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nickh

Next

Return to PARTYBOAT AND CHARTER FORUM