AUG. 28, 2012 - JOHN AMARO, 12LB FLUKE, BROOKLYN VI TUNA TIME - A VERY QUICK LOOK AT MUDHOLE TUNA TACKLE - VOYAGER TILES - MORE ON NEWELL REELS - HOUNDFISH IN NJ?

This forum is dedicated to all you love fishing on Party and Charter Boats.

AUG. 28, 2012 - JOHN AMARO, 12LB FLUKE, BROOKLYN VI TUNA TIME - A VERY QUICK LOOK AT MUDHOLE TUNA TACKLE - VOYAGER TILES - MORE ON NEWELL REELS - HOUNDFISH IN NJ?

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:22 am

** NY BIGHT INSIDER **

>> END OF AUGUST ISSUE <<

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ JOHN AMARO - 12lb FLUKE CAUGHT IN THE BAY ~

~ CAPTREE PRINCESS ~

(Courtesy of Danny Andresen)

This first story is one I doubt many fishermen on Long Island knew about. In fact, I didn't ever hear about it on till I was contacted by one of his good friends who was trying to set the record straight on the fishermen who caught this very special fish.

It turns out that this 12 lb fluke was caught on August 17, and the information sent into one of the local fishing rags. It may have been an oversight, but his name was left out of the report, along with the date when it was caught, wrong.

Those who fish with Captain Rob of the Captree Princess, are familiar with the fishing talent of John Amaro. In the past, Captain Rob has mentioned his name a few times when sending me reports, and I have personally seen him drill out fish on those 'tough days' when the bite is off. His picture has been posted on the site more then one or two times, and from what I have been told, John is noted as one of the legendary fishermen out of Captree.

What I did find as interesting in this fishing story, is that there was only this one picture taken of John Amaro with may be the largest fluke caught inside the Bays around Fire Island on either a party or charter boat...or for that matter, private boat too! The picture was taken by Danny Andresen, the mate on on board the Captree Princess and sent to the phone of the fellow who then forwarded it to me.

Over a fishing season, we do see some very special caught. In this case it is possibly one of the biggest fluke of the year, caught by one of the noted party boat fishermen in this region.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ BROOKLYN VI - TUNA SEASON STARTS! ~

Captain Mike Ardolino had a full boat yesterday for the first Mud Hole Tuna trip of the season, and proceeded to have some excellent little tunny fishing, along with having a surprisingly large catch of skippies.

Here are a few pictures taken when the BROOKLYN VI got in:

Captain MIke Ardolino

Captains - Mike 'PINE' Miller & Mike Mazza &
Mate 'Philly' Salvo in yellow skins

Holding up a SKIPJACK

Just a few Alberts & Skippies fill up a tote

~~~~~~~~~~

~ A BIG CONTRAST IN MUD HOLE TUNA TACKLE ~

I just wanted to illustrate what is brought along on the MUD HOLE tuna trips. See if you can tell which outfit the JIG MAKER from the BAY was using.

OUTFIT #1

OUTFIT #2

Needless to say, many here know that the JIG MAKER fishes everyday and has a good idea of what he needs to put fish in the big box. Just keep in mind, its not the fishing jewelry you bring along, but the fishermen using it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ THIS IS THE 4' GLASS FLECK TSUNAMI ~

Yesterday as I was waiting for the BROOKLYN VI to come in, one of the FISHING UNITED members from the area was also there and asked me this question:

Are you sure it is not the 5 inch GLASS MINNOW TSUNAMI since I cannot find the 4 inch size in any tackle shops and I still see fishermen using then on the BROOKLYN.

To answer the question (and hopefully for the last time), it seems that TSUNAMI stopped making the CLEAR 4" size a few years back and has NOT and has no plans as we last heard of coming out with the most popular size we use here in NY and NJ.

I continued to tell him that what he sees being used on the BROOKLYN over the past two weeks, is from the fishermen who basically "stocked up" on the 4" CLEAR GLASS FLECK MINNOW a number of years ago.

Who knows if the 4" size will be seen again, for the time being, a number of other colors work well (**also if you can find them), notably the Hot Pink, Purple Clear, Limetruse, & Olive Back, all work reasonably well.

As important as it is having the 4 inch size, the action your impart to the 'SALAMI' makes the difference in what you put into your cooler.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO TIE THIS BUCKTAIL ~

Before the 'SALAMI's', this 5/8 lima bean head bucktail was carried in your tackle bag for False Albacore and Bonita fishing.

Right now, we are looking for someone who can tie a good amount of these heads we have. Everything supplied, all you have to do is tie.

Anyone interested, please contact me through PM or email.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ VOYAGER - LATEST TILE TRIP ~

Captain Jeff sent me the latest pictures taken from his multi-day tile trip:

Captain Dave's son, Paul ParisImage

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ FISH STORIES ~

NOTE: I like to send out a thanks to BIg Frank V. for passing his story along!

After reading so many of your great stories I figured you wouldn't mind reading one for a change.

A couple weeks ago two buddies had been asking me about taking them out for a fishing trip. Finally I agreed and told them to be at my place in SI at 0500. The morning came and weather looked to be stellar. SW 5-10 and 44025 was doing a gentle 1.5 ft bob every 6 secs.

We headed to Brooklyn stopping at Bernies for a half bushel and lunch at the new Knapp st deli. By 0600 we were pulling up to sea travelers and doing the bag drag down to the boat.

As i quickly set up the electronics i remembered my gps was sitting on top of the fridge after i had took it out of my bag to clean the connections. After a couple four letter adjectives, i settled down, lit a smoke and started the engine. As I motored out under the Mill Basin bridge, I thought to myself I can head east and pick around the reef... then the thought of picking small porgies and pin bass on chitty drops all day set in.

I decided to head south to a drop by Ambrose that has been very productive this year, using a fantastic mapping app on my cell phone, and knowing the relevance to some nearby pots I'd give it a shot.

An hour later i pulled it back and began trying to range myself as close as possible. Sure enough the bottom machine did it's job and the piece was under the boat. No later than five minutes later, the first keeper seabass was on its way up. Nice I thought ...this may be a one drop day.. not so lucky after that initial keeper, small seabass and bergalls took over. Two nearby drops gave the same results. I decided to head to deeper water and take a shot at ling.

As I pulled up to the western edge of 17 I began marking some really nice bottom. We anchored up and it was drop and lock within ten minutes, Big ling one after another. When the bergalls moved in i quickly stripped one up and it was back to the hake action.

I remember fishing the Pilot 2 with Capt Tom at the helm in the mid 90's. We would mackerel fish till everyone had a bag full then make a ling drop. One day sticks out, we anchored within a couple hundred yards of the old Ambrose and bailed ling for two hours. We filled burlaps with ling as if they were macks. That was my best ling day, this day was coming close.

I took a break to grab a water and peak inside the cooler and saw we were well on our way to filling the first box. Much to my surprise when I panned to look at the other two guys there wasn't much in the way of a smile. Here I am with a chit eating grin and a swore wrist from spinning a Sidewinder in 120' and these guys looked bored. Then I heard it, "think there's blues out here? " blues I thought, who the phuck cares? Were pounding ling who wants blues?

I pointed to a distant point on the horizon and said "see that Joe? Remember the guy with the bulldog from the bay? That's the Brooklyn, his boat, blue fishing in what could be as far as Portugal! for us We don't have the fuel" OK.. he responded.

Now a little ticked with me and ling fishing, my buddy Joe begins horsing every fish up, with his big geared fancy Diawa, every bergall was really bent. a steady stream of Bloated choggies floated behind the boat. I saw first one, then two and three bergalls disappear followed by a swirl.

"Heres your chance Joe." I told him to grab his heavy rod which was a Senator roller tip stick with a Penn 330 GTI loaded with 40# braid (kinda an abortion if you ask me). I tied on a few yards of 60# mono and a bluefish hook on a short chum leader..., next bergall, bring it up slow Joe I squawked.

Couple minuted later a nice size bergall came up.. i trimmed the fins and half the tail and hooked the choggie in the back. I flipped the live one behind the boat and went back to pulling ling.

Wasn't long before that old Penn was screaming, as Joe grabbed the rod from its holder and stuck the fish I saw this was some bluefish. 10 minutes later i was convinced it was no bluefish, and bluefish it wasn't as color revealed it was a shark.. 50 or 60lb dusky to be exact. A little handy work from a hook out tool and the dusky swam away happily.

This replayed itself 5 or 6 times Joe playing catch and release with duskies and me catching ling, just about then i set up on what was by far the biggest ling of the day. Unfortunately for me, ten feet off the bottom and the red knobs of my reel turned into a blur as my prize ling became someones lunch. "No no no not this reel" I yelped, as the guys laughed their family jewels off. Thankfully seconds into the fight the flouro caught a tooth and sharky was gone and my hands were in tact.

Getting late in the day and at least an hour of cutting ahead of me i announced "one more Joe" and right on cue the clicker started to rumble again. This time when he set up on the fish i could see right away it was a much better fish. That was confirmed moments later when the whippie cleared water. The fish turned and made a run at the bow, still at anchor I couldn't see the kid loose the fish in the rode so I grabbed a fender tied it to the anchor line and axed it.

The fish beat the shit out of him for nearly two hours and dragged us halfway back to our first drop. Finally got color and stuck the first gaff in, thankfully like us, the fish was spent. Slipped a tail rope on and motored back to 17 to retrieve my anchor. Bled and boated the fish at 17 which was now busting with top water life.

Got to the dock as the sun began to set, cut ling for 45 mins and mowed through that delicious thresher in 15. Boat still a crime scene and i didn't get back to Staten Island till 9pm. Great day, and proof I have possibly the best wife ever!

~~~~~~~~~~~

~ LOCALLY CAUGHT 'HOUNDFISH?' ~

(All images courtesy of F.S.)

I have to admit and have told him so, that my buddy Frank out of Pt. Pleasant tells the best fish stories around. A number of his 'fish tales' have giving me some great ideas for stories, but none are as humorous and down to earth as when Frank tells them.

Well a few days back he gives me a fishing report. It was supposed to be a 'insider' report of which New Jersey lump, bump or bank had the hot albie & bonita bite. Turns out though, Frank did a little old school thinking, and ran to an area where he put a number of these fish in the boat.

As he stated:

I say what the hell and look over XXXXXXXX XXXXXX, since were close. See very little. Right on top of it I see a little life. Anchor up and throw meat. Blues again right to the transom. Suddenly they back off. A minute later my buddy gets a bite and its different. It jumps and everyone is asking, "what the hell is that?". Dont ask how I knew what it was from 40 feet away but I call out, "Its a houndfish".

"Who would of thought", I said to him, and from what I was told tonight but another fishermen who has been doing the bluefish and albie fishing on a regular basis, no one he knows, has been zeroing in on this area. It is a big ocean once you get out there, and it much easier to go right to where the fleet has been setting up and fill the boat up there.

Maybe it was 'dumb-luck'....maybe it was just being at the right place at just the right time. I know one thing, they will have a few memories to talk about for years to come at the Broadway Grill.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ NEWELL REELS - NEWS? ~

Thanks to Mr. Bluefish who passed this info along:

-------------
One of the West Coast reel repair sites had a post that mentioned what seems to be the old VALLEY MFG/NEWELL REELS, has now relocated to a nearby city three miles from their prior location.

A phone call was made (818-504-6085) by this person who posted the news and he was told by the person who answered at the new facility, that the Newell Reel division has not reopened, and to try back at the end of September.
-------------

One does have to wonder with even the large following of loyal NEWELL REELS users around the country, can the current owners of NEWELL REELS, make a profit manufacturing, assembling and servicing their fishing reel?

Hopefully......and I will keep an eye out on any breaking news on NEWELL REELS.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ NOTHING LIKE GETTING CAUGHT IN A THUNDERSTORM ~

Nothing like running back in with the 'hammers of hell' falling from the sky.

ImageImageImage
(Thanks to R.B. for passing these along)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ LOOK AT WHAT HAS COME BACK TO OUR LOCAL WATERS ~

(Thanks to CBSTF)

I have heard a few reports of 'Lafayettes' (actually Spot)returning to our area, and being caught by fishing during the past few weeks. What did surprise me is where these fish are now being caught....in good numbers!

Behind this fishermen stands the Brooklyn Army Terminal facility and the adjoining pier that is roughly off 60 street, right in Upper NY Harbor.... a few miles north of the Verrazano- Narrows Bridge.

I was also told yesterday, that PINFISH are now being caught in good numbers also.

Global warming?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ WHEN THE SEA BASS BITE GETS TOUGH, CHANGE IT UP ~

(Thanks to Captain Jason Colby - LITTLE SISTER)

With sea bass fishing slowing down during this time in the summer, and with any bait dropped to the bottom being chewed to pieces by scup, small sea bass, sea robins, and everything else which inhabits of waters this time of the year, try using a few of these proven lures below. You will be surprised in the size of the sea bass you do catch.

ImageImage

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ ANYONE SEE THE PREDICTED WEATHER FOR THIS WINTER? ~

I was passed this along the other day....and I don't know what to make of it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ TIME TO WRAP THIS ONE UP ~

Where has the summer gone? No doubt, there has been little relief from either the muggy weather, or pop up thunderstorms that we have seen during July and August. From many of the fishermen I have spoken to, the iffy offshore weather forecasts have posed a problem in getting offshore and looking for tuna. Fishermen staying within 20-25 miles from the dock are still finding Xacta and Igloo filling blue fishing, as well as some really good fishing for the Alberts, and now 'skippies' showing up. Boats fishing closer to the dock are seeing the remaining fluke coming out of the Bays, and whatever small untouched rockpiles that hold a few keeper sea bass....but getting back to fluke, do not be surprised in seeing some whopper-size fish being caught over the next few weeks.

** OCEAN EAGLE V - INSHORE JUMBO SEA BASS **

We will see what September brings.......

EC NEWELLMAN

Re: AUG. 28, 2012 - JOHN AMARO, 12LB FLUKE, BROOKLYN VI TUNA TIME - A VERY QUICK LOOK AT MUDHOLE TUNA TACKLE - VOYAGER TILES - MORE ON NEWELL REELS - HOUNDFISH IN NJ?

Postby whitechin » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:33 pm

The best local yftuna rig right now is a beat-up heavy fiberglass rod, a beat up 3/0 with 50lb mono, a wire leader and hook while fishing with a bunker back.
whitechin

Return to PARTYBOAT AND CHARTER FORUM