FEB 4, 2014 - NY BIGHT INSIDER - LONG WINTER SETTLES IN & TIED TO THE DOCK - A LITTLE OF THIS AND THAT TO GO OVER - NYS ANGLERS GETS REGIONALIZATION FOR FLUKE IN 2014

This forum is dedicated to all you love fishing on Party and Charter Boats.

FEB 4, 2014 - NY BIGHT INSIDER - LONG WINTER SETTLES IN & TIED TO THE DOCK - A LITTLE OF THIS AND THAT TO GO OVER - NYS ANGLERS GETS REGIONALIZATION FOR FLUKE IN 2014

Postby EC NEWELLMAN » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:03 pm

=============

NY HAS RECEIVED REGIONAL MANAGEMENT FOR

FLUKE!

Fishermen here owe a thanks to Jim GIlmore and Tony DeLernia for their tireless efforts in getting regionalization for SUMMER FLOUNDER!

Thanks to Captain PJR for passing along this good news....

=============

FOR-HIRE RSA AUCTION - BLACK SEA BASS

From what I was told after the For-Hire RSA Auction ended, prices for Black Sea Bass lots were surprisingly reasonable with the price ranging from anywhere between $2.50 to $3.30 per pound. Let me point out here, this is the price passed along to me. As this captain pointed out, it was a noticeable difference in price from last year.
==============

WHAT YOU DO DURING THE WINTER WHEN YOUR NOT FISHING?
YOUR WORKING ON YOUR BOAT

Here are a few more shots taken of some work on the overhead on the SUPER HAWK, and the BROOKLYN VI.

(Images courtesy of Captain Steve K.)

(Image courtesy of Philly Salvo)

====================

WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOU NOT WORKING ON THE BOAT?
YOU GO FISHING OF COURSE

Matty Selito took a little time away from the HELEN H to go fishing and caught some impressive fish!

(Images courtesy of Frank S.)

====================

NO MATTER THE DEPTH IN THE WINTER
IT SEEMS YOU CANNOT GET AWAY FROM THE DOGFISH

Here are two separate shots I posted on M.E. Zuckerberg's site in a reply about what we continue to find when you steam offshore at this time of the year in the hunt for the winter king, Gadus morhua.

Pay attention to the surface water temperature in the left hand corner of the images. Notice a roughly 6+ degree difference which corresponds to the different depths in these images?

This is a serious issue here not only to what fishermen are catching, but what the spiny hound is devouring in edible seafood.

There was also another issue here which was pointed out to me on a piece I was working on with

BORE HEAD @ FISHERY NATION

when it comes to the harvest of spiny dogfish for the overseas market:

Spiny dogfish imports from sustainable fisheries in the United States caused food safety alerts and border rejections in Germany, France and Italy. These products showed an industrial contamination with non-dioxin-like and dioxin-like Polychlorobiphenyl (PCB). In late August 2013,
German authorities denied the import of over 18 tons of frozen spiny dogfish. Just a few weeks earlier, about 740 kg of US spiny dogfish had been withdrawn from the market in Italy.

European Food Safety Alerts for Shark Products Helmut Nickel, Shark Year Magazine, 30. September 2013 EU Rapid Alert System for Food and Feed Notifications concerning shark products from 23. February 2012 to 11. September 2013

Not good news to say the least when it comes to finding "profitable" markets to ship spiny dogfish products overseas.
=================

UPCOMING NEWELL REEL PROJECT?

ITS COMING

I just was reminded the other day when a fishermen from Hawaii contacted me about some NEWELL REELS and the prices and I sent him some prices back....and never heard from him again!

Needless to say, when it comes to the two years plus or maybe more with NEWELL REELS closing its doors, prices continue to edge UPWARDS for both reels and parts.

That will be where our story will begin with some "worked over" Newell Reels being sold for high prices, and to know what you are buying when you lay out a few C-notes for a desirable size NEWELL REEL.
================

WHAT HAPPENED TO GLOUCESTER MASSACHUSETTS?

DEVASTATION CAUSED BY CATCH SHARES

(Photo taken by either Rick Shatford or Rosemarie Seaver - Sank summer 1988 east of Chatham)

One of the interesting true life fishing stories I have recently read was this:

This was filmed in 2010 and it’s only gotten worse. What he predicted back in 2010 is about 10 times worse 4 years later.

As I type this a fisherman just left my office. He is 52 years old and has fished his whole life. He is a stern man meaning he has no stake in what the owner of the boat may receive when he sells out his commercial fishing permits. He has only seen it get worse and worse and was telling me he has absolutely no idea what he could do for a living since all he knows is fishing.

It’s sad and it is despicable what they did when they instituted Catch Shares and privatized the ocean and fish.

GOOD MORNING GLOUCESTER: Jan . 28, 2014 -BG Brown Summed Up What Was Going To Happen In The Fishing Industry In Gloucester 4 Years Ago

==============

WISHFUL THINKING?

Please, someone, lets get this off the pallet and into the boat!

=========

SO WHAT DO SOME OF US DO TO KEEP BUSY THIS WINTER

STRAIGHTEN OUT THIS MESS

Batten down the hatches once again with the snow coming!

EC NEWELLMAN

Re: FEB 4, 2014 - NY BIGHT INSIDER - LONG WINTER SETTLES IN & TIED TO THE DOCK - A LITTLE OF THIS AND THAT TO GO OVER - NYS ANGLERS GETS REGIONALIZATION FOR FLUKE IN 2014

Postby whitechin » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:42 pm

So far no vote to close flounder in the summer for this year. Made me smile a bit. :mrgreen:
whitechin

Re: FEB 4, 2014 - NY BIGHT INSIDER - LONG WINTER SETTLES IN & TIED TO THE DOCK - A LITTLE OF THIS AND THAT TO GO OVER - NYS ANGLERS GETS REGIONALIZATION FOR FLUKE IN 2014

Postby trophyfish » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:47 pm

Great news on the Fluke Steve! Now to see how our regs get affected.
trophyfish

Return to PARTYBOAT AND CHARTER FORUM