One very special Fluke on the kayak.

Where the big boats can't - but the big fish can...fishing the back waters and bays & Kayaks too.

One very special Fluke on the kayak.

Postby ELIASV » Sat May 21, 2011 3:38 pm

Seemed like I had quite a bit working against me today. Looming thundershowers at dawn and pea soup fog. As I looked at the surf I could swat the mist with my hand. I waited, and waited...finally at 6:00am I was able to launch and could see at least 500 yards.

I made my way to grounds to a sluggish incoming water with very little action for an hour. A few fish but a sloooow pick.

Moved my way through the bridge and once again very slow. In the distance I spot a decent cloud of birds and work my way to them. Pick up two Cocktail Bluefish and one keeper sized bass. Not what I am looking for but if the day calls for it, I'll do it.

This quickly broke up with a second wave of fog, so I made my way back to the bridge. By 8am I was getting steady hits, but not the size I wanted...finally I wailed a 20.5" fish into my lap on a Spro with a Gulp curly tail teaser.

Happy with that I stick to my area picking away slowly, but steadily at shorts. A big fleet is in the area now, at least twenty boats are drifting here and there.

As I make one drift with about three boats on my left I stick a fish that is truly massive for my standards here on my kayak. I catch plenty of 5 and 6lb fish a season on the kayak, but this fish was no match. I quickly took a visual measure with my paddle, and it was at least 28" but closer to 30"

Caught on a 1oz spro with a green gulp mullet.

Picked away at shorts for another hour before heading over to Stella Maris to weigh it in. I have caught bigger on the North Shore, but a fish from these waters on my kayak is a very special one.

8.8lbs, 29.5" very skinny but I had one big smile.

ELIASV

Re: One very special Fluke on the kayak.

Postby captjoekingcod » Sat May 21, 2011 3:47 pm

Very nice!!!
Capt. Joe KING COD
HOME 631-475-1060
CELL 631-605-1404

www.kingcodfishing.com
captjoekingcod

Postby WHATTA CATCH » Sat May 21, 2011 6:22 pm

Nice Fish. Congrats
WHATTA CATCH CHARTERS

http://WWW.WHATTACATCH.COM
WHATTA CATCH

Postby Ace Sinker » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:48 pm

Nice fish Elias!
Ace Sinker

Postby Capt Richie » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:56 pm

real nice fishing ...nice fish..

I want to add something & please this is for you safety....I run a 32' ten ton boat..When I'm up on plane running 23-25kts Its very hard for me to see Kayak's...I almost hit one in jones inlet a few years back ..Came off a swell & oh shit just off port bow...

Please be careful try & make yourself a visible as possible...& if you venture out of the inlet hug the shore skinny water were boats cant run...one you in the ocean its so hard for mid size express size boats to see you so don't think they do...

be safe & nice fish...
Custom hand crafted fishing rods at an affordable price..
For the Professional & Recreational Angler

Blanks from
Calstar, Lamiglas,Phenix, St Croix & AR custom east-coast blanks by United Composites...
Capt Richie

Return to KAYAK / SKINNY WATER FISHING FORUM