MAY 24, 2019 - A NY BIGHT INSIDER FISHING & MARITIME PICS STUFFED INTO THE EMAIL ROUND BIN: TIME TO PULL THEM OUT (THIS WILL BE CONTINUOUSLY UPDATED)

Where many of us first started with our love of fishing. Here we share our experiences with future fishermen.

Re: MAY 24, 2019 - A NY BIGHT INSIDER FISHING & MARITIME PICS STUFFED INTO THE EMAIL ROUND BIN: TIME TO PULL THEM OUT (THIS WILL BE CONTINUOUSLY UPDATED)

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:35 pm

Captain Greg of the YANKEE CAPTS just got in, and it seems he did catch enough fish for more than a few dinners...

EC NEWELL MAN

Re: MAY 24, 2019 - A NY BIGHT INSIDER FISHING & MARITIME PICS STUFFED INTO THE EMAIL ROUND BIN: TIME TO PULL THEM OUT (THIS WILL BE CONTINUOUSLY UPDATED)

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:49 am

I was somewhat pre-occupied with a number of phone calls late in the afternoon and into the evening, and one of the best fishing stories so far of 2021 was what occurred with Captain Greg of the OCEAN EAGLE V which landed a few dozen keeper cod along with a few reaching the market size (as I was told), along with a good number of undersize cod.

High hook I was told took home 6 keepers and a long time noted fishermen, Sergio had someday....and It was 'someday' due to the fact that from Rhode Island through to New Jersey, seeing a bare handful of cod being caught is news this winter This has been one of the slowest starts to inshore winter cod fishing, and Captain Greg had this past Friday a trip to remember. Oh, I should add, that even his brother Geoff called me as he was so excited about the cod catch too. Captain Greg is passing along that next trip should be this Sunday.......

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:47 am

As Captain Greg of the YANKEE CAPTS passed along to me this morning, the cooler filling long range fishing trips continues. Here are just a few pics taken from the trip that just came in....

These two pics were sent over by a New England charter captain that were obviously landed on a commercial vessel, and all I can say that it looks like there are a few cod around...

This man, well noted for his fishing skills on a Pt. Pleasant Beach based party boat, catching his favorite fish in a much warmer environment....

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:01 pm

What a difference a day makes as today "howled" and seas nasty as I was told. One aluminum party boat out of Freeport made a few drops, had one, and wrapped up the fishing by middy. Another who had a notable catch the previous, also had "tough" fishing. The MARIYLN JEAN with a small group of anglers though, was able to grind out a bunch of keeper cod, and so far from what I have heard was the best catch on this Sunday....

I finally got a pic of Sheephead Bay fishermen John H. who had this cod on the OCEAN EAGLE V today....

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:22 pm

Captain Greg of the YANKEE CAPTS has a few more pics taken during the last cooler filling trip...

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:15 pm

Just the other day I was talking to a captain about catching wreckfish, a bottom specie found on extremely hard bottom and on wrecks out in the deep. Needless to say, he knew of one which was caught inshore, and proceeded to send me the picture which you see below by text. I did know of two other times with wreckfish being caught far from the canyon, so anything is possible as you see here...

I have to thank Mr. FS as one of the few fish pics you will see right now is making whatever you have caught during the season for dinner. Here is two fillets of a very locally caught cod that is made over broccoli rabe and angel hair pasta. As much we enjoy seeing the fish pictures, the cooking pictures are a pleasure to look at and talk about...

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:31 pm

It now appears that this winter season is coming to a wrap for the last party boats fishing as Captain Greg of the OCEAN EAGLE V told me today that he will try for a last time for cod this weekend as the weather appears to be fishable.

From the reports I have received from a handful of captains I have spoken to, the wreck fishing has been "pretty trying," where you have one day where you see some fish, and then a stretch of not only few fish on a few day trip for either cod or blackfish, but no bites on some of the wrecks they anchor on.

I did get these picture from Captain RB who did stop by 'HARTS' and sent this pics over of the latest Speedy Express, the last known name of the vessel...

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:00 pm

What can we say when Captain Greg of the YANKEE CAPTS comes in? Filled the totes and everyone went home with more than a few dinners with Queens on the menu....

ImageImage

This happens to be the 'ZING' - Amazing Worm which was a popular tube teaser for ground fishing in New England for a number of years. We have come to find out that the company which produced this tube and a strangely shaped jig that was cast up to 21 ounces, the original Zingamajig which was later improved and renamed the Grommet. The company has a history dating back to the late 1970s/early 1980s, then was then sold in 2009 to a Massachusetts fishermen and seemed to have a bright future.

We have come to find out thought that ZING PRODUCTS of Wareham, MA., has gone out of business over a year ago, and this lure along with their other products have been discontinued. This is not the first, nor will it be the last when you see an effective lure no longer being produced, but one can always pick up surgical tubing, Mustad Limerick hooks that are used for tubes and either heavy rated swivels or bead chain and make your own custom Amazing Worm.

In the second image are some copies (I believe) - and the file has little other info other than being from March of 2013 and attached to the ball-peen hammered jigs. I have written many articles and posted numerous pics taken of cod, pollock, haddock and halibut that have delightfully taken this particular lure as it surely was one to always carry in the tackle bag.....

I have come to find out through one of the local fishermen about Captain John Schiable who used to be the second captain of the Pt. Pleasant Beach vessel VOYAGER will be going in for surgery. I didn't recognize who it was at first until I read the name, and in the first image is a picture of John on a tile trip in June 2014 and the other taken just yesterday. We wish John the best and quickly back to doing what he enjoys....

It also seems that another VOYAGER alumni, Maria has been busy catching the big ones...

In leaving off on a positive note tonight, this ad has caught a few fishermen attention and you can see 'why' when looking at the poundage of fish to the price. But at least their is free shipping on your order...

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:15 pm

This was sent over a little while ago, and not the news we expected to hear from Captain John...

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:53 pm

Needless to say at this point in the winter, can we complain about a possible foot and half of snow as we come into February? Yes we can! Definitely spoiled with the snowless winters of the last two years....

I was sent over a picture within the last hour as the SUPER HAWK was coming in from an offshore scup trip. From what I was told - and this was before the boat has docked, an average of 10 - 20 scup a man, two pollock and what may be a few ling. If I hear anything further, I will add it to the report...

It just so happens that an American company will be making these sand eel lures for 2021 fluke fishing, and I was just discussing these rubber lures with a New Jersey charter captain with the products produced by http://www.seabooms.com/ which are very similar for cod and other groundfish. Just saying as I bet they will be used here with some success and are something to consider if the conditions warrant dropping down a rubber tail on a lead head. Most of all is to check out their website which is in the process of being updated...

Captain Greg of the YANKEE CAPTS, has forwarded a few more pics from that memorable Queen Snapper trip he just came in from....

Thanks to Nick who passed along some back in the day cod caught on the Captain Al and another Freeport based party boat....

EC NEWELL MAN

PreviousNext

Return to KIDS FISHING FORUM