MAY 24, 2019 - A NY BIGHT INSIDER FISHING & MARITIME PICS STUFFED INTO THE EMAIL ROUND BIN: TIME TO PULL THEM OUT (THIS WILL BE CONTINUOUSLY UPDATED)

Where many of us first started with our love of fishing. Here we share our experiences with future fishermen.

Re: MAY 24, 2019 - A NY BIGHT INSIDER FISHING & MARITIME PICS STUFFED INTO THE EMAIL ROUND BIN: TIME TO PULL THEM OUT (THIS WILL BE CONTINUOUSLY UPDATED)

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:39 pm

Tonight we have another full season wrap up, this time with Captain Jason Colby of LITTLE SISTER charters, Quincy and Westport, MA. As many have seen here over the past year, some pretty special fish were caught during the season, and Captain Jason will explain how his fishing year went. Thanks to Captain Jason for the pics and story.....

Quincy, Ma. Spring 2020

Starting in April, 2020, there were a few very successful haddock trips, not too far out of Boston and it seemed there would be no end to the fish. That is until the Governor shut down charter operations for the end of April through most all of May. What could I do? I went flounder fishing! Flounder fishing with Ron, flounder fishing with my wife, flounder fishing with Armindo (he is like my wife)....

The thing is, the fishing was nothing short of GREAT but I couldn't put my customers on them. We were getting "easy limits" in an hour or two most of the time (my wife does not like to be on the water much more than two hours and most of the trips with her we had the limit and we released a bunch, in spite of the short trip lengths).

Then, near the end of May I was able to take clients again but the fishing seemed "off" after a few good days.

There was nothing I could put my finger on and we did get limits still on most trips but something was not right. "The tell" was in between the good/great trips, there were some trips where we couldn't buy a bite. It seemed that the fish all but disappeared overnight at times. But it went like that for a few weeks, many consecutive good trips and then a bust or two.

However by mid June it was easy to see that something was very wrong. Typically the fish move out near the ocean around the end of June and early July but not this year. By mid June it was as if all the fish in the harbor were ready to run to the ocean as the water temps in Boston Harbor got "August hot" in just a few days. It was the fastest and most severe temperature spike I have ever seen!

The end of June is typically a great time for flounder fishing Quincy most years but this year, my last flounder trip was on June 25th with the few days leading up to it being quite dismal. I believe we had between 13 and 24 fish for each trip leading up to the 25th. On that Thursday, we tried three "ocean spots" that should have held flounder that "should" pause there on their way out to cooler water. We didn't even get a bite!

On my last spot "out there" I saw on my GPS that I was less than 9 miles from where I had done well on haddock about 5 days earlier so I said to "the crew," Ya wanna get some haddock? We ended up with 45 haddock in very short order and I heard that the haddock stayed at that inshore location all summer and well into the fall! Onward to Westport!

Westport, Ma. 2020

Little Sister launched in Westport just around the first of July and we got into a nice run of fluke right away. Not monsters but plenty of keepers and fish in the 4-6 pound range only a mile out the river-it was nice! Then, all it took was for one little dragger to make a few passes and there were no fluke to be found in the area for the rest of the season.

Fortunately, there were so many sea bass and they were so big that we hardly had the time or the inclination to sweat it much. In fact, the sea bass fishing was so strong all summer, both inshore and farther out that I doubt there were more than three trips the whole season where we did not get the full boat limit!

Bluefish and stripers were a bit of a disappointment around Westport as well as the fluke fishing off Noman's and Sakonnet/Newport though there were a few trips where we did catch "OK." There were also some "very fun and very busy" scup trips where we filled all the boxes with both scup and sea bass. I guess you can call that "meat fishing!" I know Tony and his friends spent 3 days cleaning fish (I don't clean scup)...

Coxes Ledge, The Trench and The Hills were all very active with a mix of bottom fish. Flounder, cod, scup and sea bass (OH MY) were to be had in "good to great number." There were also many of those trips that conditions allowed for up to cast at high-flyers for mahi with excellent results! The "spot lock feature" on the trolling motor allows for holding the boat quietly at the perfect distance for casting without spooking the fish that are hanging out on the spot. The perfect tool for the job!

And then came the blackfish...

Actually, I had been bringing green crabs out in limited supply most of the summer with "mixed results." There were some nice tog around the whole time but getting them, through all the scup, cunners and small sea bass was a challenge to say the least. I was the one who was mostly "fooling around" targeting tog (blackfish) while most everyone else was fishing for sea bass. I did catch some very impressive sea bass on the crab baits but for the most part, I caught far less sea bass to perhaps catch a keeper tog or two. I did enjoy the summer though and would hope to repeat the same in 2021!

For the fall, when we finally stopped bringing the clams for the sea bass (the sea bass season was extended for charter boats because of the spring charter boat shut down) we got really serious with the tog. When the limits went up to 5 per person on 10/15 we had no problem getting the limits most of the time. The few exceptions can be attributed to weather issues, which we did have a few of but for the most part, it was an excellent and very productive fall blackfish season for both bait rigs and jig fishing. Interestingly, most of our tog trips also included a cod (or two)!

2021!

I'm going to leave the prices as they were in 2020. Open boat trips will be $125/person/5 hours inshore and charters will have a base price of $500/5 hours for up to 4 persons. Extra persons and extra hours are at $100 each. Offshore trips or longer open boat trips will also cost a little extra (haddock out of Quincy, Coxes Ledge, The Hills, The Trench, Noman's Island, etc.)

We will be starting the season off out of Marina Bay from Mid April to Mid May with haddock fishing about one hour out where we have done quite well the past couple of seasons. As we get into May we will mix more and more flounder fishing into the schedule and by May 10th I plan on being on a full Quincy Flounder schedule of two trips/day, 6-11am and then noon-5pm. Tuesday and Thursday morning trips will be open boat trips (by reservation only). As always, bait and tackle are provided at no extra cost but you are welcome to bring your own stuff if that is what you prefer.

Little Sister will be looking to Launch in Westport around the beginning of July and we should look forward to that great fishing there again for the summer. Tripps Marina "says" they will be improving my dock slip over this winter to make for easier access but if that does not work out, I can continue to utilize the Gas Dock for coming and going.

Note that I have my 2021 Book and I am/have been taking 2021 reservations. In particular, if you need weekend dates for Quincy Flounder, those are very limited and you should schedule your trip as soon as you can.

Always feel free to email any questions to: fishinglsister@aol.com

Do not reply to this email (Littlessister1) address as it will "go nowhere"...

I wish you and your family a Great Holiday Season and Happy (and Fishy) New Year!

Captain Jason Colby
Little Sister Charters
fishinglsister@aol.com

617-755-3740
http://www.littlesister1.com
EC NEWELL MAN

Re: MAY 24, 2019 - A NY BIGHT INSIDER FISHING & MARITIME PICS STUFFED INTO THE EMAIL ROUND BIN: TIME TO PULL THEM OUT (THIS WILL BE CONTINUOUSLY UPDATED)

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:29 am

Do you know I "grew up" as a surfcaster? That I actually had distain for fishing from a boat?

Anyway, the point is that things change, and not always for the worse so here is looking forward to a "better" 2021 for you and your family from me and my family as well as "Bird" (I actually can't really speak for "Bird", so his lawyer tells me, but there is always that wishful feeling we have to consider at this time of year)....

Everyone should have received my 2020 Recap 0n 12/14 so please let me know you got it and hopefully you will be pictured in the 2021 Recap!

Happy Holidays to all and a Healthy New Year too!

Yours,

Captain Jason Colby
Little Sister Charters
fishinglsister@aol.com

617-755-3740
http://www.littlesister1.com

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:25 am

I received this image yesterday morning from someone who was always there when you wished to eat a fine, hot meal on the VOYAGER. She has relocated to KEY WEST for awhile and this was her Christmas lighthouse to celebrate the holiday. We here will not only miss her smiling face, but as much, do wish her the best....

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:01 pm

As many who do fish at this time of the year realize that the offshore biscuit fishing is in its last few days before the winter closure, and inshore black and cod fishing has gone to barely a bite since the last storm. It will change and do not be surprised what comes down the beach after this moon. I wouldn't be surprised how good January cod fishing will be.

I did get a pic of a Newell Reel project where this 220 was put together by Perry-O, and it is a reminder that now is the time to start tuning up tackle in order to be ready for next spring....

One of the captains on Long Island sent in this pic when he went by Hart's - Shellfish Marina, and saw this big Lydia now tied up there. Recently she was tied up along Woodcleft Canal, and was recently moved here. For some reason, and one can only speculate, she still has not been sold after all the time in this area after being literally "done over" down south....

I was also sent over the pic since this for-hire vessel was recently sold and is now relocating from New Jersey over to "somewhere" in the Freeport area....

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:30 pm

One of better contributors here at FISHING UNITED .com sent over a report of a long fishing day on the JII. Total fish count for a dead-bite fishing day was 3 ling and 1 pollock, and from what I was told they were fishing in roughly 20 to 25 fathoms of water and it just was not right for the fish to bite. He also broke out one of his favorite sticks made at a now long gone Sheepshead Bay tackle shop....

I saw Captain Steve of the SUPER HAWK the other day and we talked about what happens when biscuit season ends at 2359 hours on New Years Eve night. He will be starting his mid and offshore codfish trips, and for many who do fish with Captain Steve on his winter cod trips, he consistently catches some very big cod throughout the winter (hint-hint)....

I posted an old NY POST fishing report from almost 40 years ago on socialized media, and boy did many of the old timers pull out their pics from 'back in the day.' Here are two from long time mate Phil Salvato when he was with the AMBERJACK IV. The date on this one was 1972....

In the second pic, Captain Kenny from the MY JOYCE in Montauk posted a pic in the old L.I.F. caught on one of the VIKING VALLEY of the GIANTS trips, and they don't get much bigger then this....

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:31 pm

CONGRATS - THIS THREAD HAS BROKEN THE 1 MILLION VIEWS MARK!

First a big congrats is given to Dennis M., well noted highliner when it comes to catching trophy fish. Yesterday while fishing out of a Eastern Shore fishing port, Dennis successfully landed a 21 pound plus blackfish. As many readers of this thread have seen or know from his time fishing upon the old VOYAGER with the late Captain Jeff, Dennis just has a knack at catching these very "special size" fish....

Captain Rob of the CAPTREE PRIDE (the vessel used on yesterday's last trip of the 2020 season) came in later in the afternoon, but goodness, look at the size of these biscuits! Rob who got to dinner later that evening with his family said it was a great way to end the year, and he will start to post codfish trips during the winter when they weather cooperates....

I added a few more pics from Captain Rob of the CAPTREE PRINCESS & CAPTREE PRIDE of the later season trips, and one of the more notable catches were with the number of weakfish being caught. Over the years, weakfish have been caught on wrecks in depths of over 200 feet, and this year it was the same as they mixed in with the biscuits and scup...

I just like to add that one of our favorite contributors here met with a few fishermen who were on the 'PARA-MONTE' after his party boat came in (this after the vessel left at 7 the prior night) and a few fishermen stated they had "grind fishing throughout the day, with the biscuit catch made up of mostly mediums with some fish mixed in."

With the wet weather on New Years Eve, this will most likely be the last fishing reports for this calendar year, and now left to the pictures and brief stories seen here.....

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:27 pm

From the latest reports I received within the last hour, the first Saturday of the New Year was a very tough fishing day for the fishing fleet here in the NY-NJ BIGHT. Catches on a number of party boats were in the low single digits for cod and ling, in part due to a much earlier west and northwest wind which was honking past 10 this morning.

Captain Paul reported that the CAPTAIN DAVE III had a bare showing of cod on their 5am trip which steamed off to many of the noted cod areas fished at this time of the year, but this was as good as it was on this fishing day on the cod...

This sent in tonight....

Is it legal to keep?

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:44 pm

I barely had gotten through the door at 730 this evening and received a call from Don Ambrico, the legendary commercial fishermen here in Sheepshead Bay. He asked if I knew, and I had no idea on what he was talking about until he mentioned that his friend and one of the sharpest captains in the northeast, Bobby Maier had just passed away.

Over the decades many have debated who were the top captains when it came to catching striped bass, and Captain Bobby Maier who started in Jamaica Bay before moving out to Montauk, was on the top of the 'Holy Trinity' list of striper fishermen, even during the lean times from the late 70s until the fishery was closed. He was not only that great a fishermen, but as much and more importantly a person.

May Captain Bobby have fair seas and light winds as he Rests in Peace....

I was sent this pic today by one of the retired Garden State charter captains who has a friend down in the Tar Heel state who captured this picture of BFT most likely on some unlucky forage species or even bluefish. Though a rare image to be fortunate to get a snap shot of, this sight of BFT leaping out of the water is well noted when the big tuna are on the feed...

The other day, many decades long mate in Sheepshead Bay, Phil Salvato, posted this pic from a crew trip made in the early 1990s out to some well noted wrecks out east which took 14 hours to the 1st drop. These were the first trips Captain Joe made for cod, pollock and Barnstable hake at the time when he was deciding to relocate the HELEN H permanently out to Hyannis, MA. Over the years here on FISHING UNITED .com. I have posted a number of pics from that time period when the HELEN H was venturing out to the big wrecks in southern New England waters, and Phil bring us a reminder of when we used to see Captain Joe and the HELEN H at pier 9 in the Bay.

From left to right, Joe 'Botts' along with Frank Sellitto, Teddy T., Captain Joseph Huckemeyer.

Long gone folks...

Last edited by EC NEWELL MAN on Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
EC NEWELL MAN

Postby MisterX » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:13 am

Sorry to hear about Bobby's passing. He was one of the nicer people I've had the pleasure of meeting.
"When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others" - Chinese Proverb
MisterX

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:35 pm

It was good to hear from Frank who was in the shipyard with the MARILYN JEAN IV which is being worked on in order to be back fishing in the 2021 season. Frank also said with the weather looking better this weekend, the MJ V will fishing both days this weekend. Here are the before and after pics he took at Shellfish Marina....

Captain Steve of the SUPER HAWK is running two special trips this weekend for cod and other tasty species, and posted his schedule here: https://www.superhawkfishing.com/

Captain Greg of the YANKEE CAPTS fishing out of the Southern Command Center in Key West posted some of his 'back in the day New England pics' and some of the very special fish he caught over the years. He also is reminding everyone that the 2021 season starts today and to check the calendar page for the upcoming trips this season: https://yankeecapts.com/trip-calendar/

Also in the 'back in the day' category, I was sent this picture over of a once noted Freeport based party boat which has been fishing for a number of years out of Greenport....

In talking with Captain Paul of the CAPTAIN DAVE III this afternoon he is passing along "TO CALL" for information about these special trips this weekend:

We still have some spots available for next Sunday January 10th -COW COD SPECIAL leaving at 1am.

$125 fare for the 5am trips(Every weekend except dates below)
$145 fare for the cow cod specials(Sunday January 10th and 17th)

For more info or to book a spot please call: 917.251.2628

EC NEWELL MAN

PreviousNext

Return to KIDS FISHING FORUM