Ward Melville High School Fishing Club Rod Building Class Winter '14

Where many of us first started with our love of fishing. Here we share our experiences with future fishermen.

Ward Melville High School Fishing Club Rod Building Class Winter '14

Postby missinglink08 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:53 pm

I know I haven't done a good job of this in the past but here are some pictures of the class that we just completed.

These are pictures from their winters rod building class taught by Al Goldberg and assisted by Capt. Neil Faulkner to a dozen members of the Ward Melville High School Fishing Club. Completed in 5 sessions of approximately 2 hours, Al and Capt Neil guided these kids through all the steps of what it takes to build their own rods. The kids watched and then completed each step on their own...wrapping them at home as well. One student even took it a step further and googled how to wrap a chevron and it came out great. It was a first time experience for all involved and most are ready to start on a second rod. Less than half took advantage of Al's initial offer and most of the rest already asked if were doing it again next year!!!

We have picked up some equipment, blanks, and all necessary materials to get the rest who missed out and want to take advantage of building their own....the opportunity to do so before next year. Many students will be on build #2 of the offseason.

Al and Capt. Neil really lit a fire under these kids and opened their eyes to something that they had never seen before. Great teachers and a great experience. I know the kids did not realize who they had teaching them and what these two guys represent but they soaked it all in! I made a joke during one of the sessions that I wished my students paid that close attention to what I was teaching!

more pictures of the entire experience were posted to our facebook page.
ImageImageImage
missinglink08

Re: Ward Melville High School Fishing Club Rod Building Class Winter '14

Postby CapAp » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:17 pm

Really cool! Wish I had that in HS
CapAp

Postby BingoRB » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:41 pm

Good stuff bob. The kids really put together some nice sticks. Thats one trade I wish I learned along the way.
Bingo Fishing Charters
631-495-1786
Capt. Roger Bing
USCG 100 Ton Master
USCG 3rd Asst. Engineer Unlimited Horsepower
www.bingo-fishing.com
BingoRB

Postby missinglink08 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:08 pm

The kids really took to it. I am not kidding when I say that Ive already ordered another group of blanks from Al and another set of blanks from Mud Hole....around 17 blanks and sets to be built. Many of the kids took to it. Should be awesome to see what they make of it .....
missinglink08

Postby nickh » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:04 pm

Oops.
Last edited by nickh on Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nickh

Started when I was fifteen. Before I was 20 probably made and rewrapped over 200 rods. Never got fancy. Did some nice diamonds, but never the stuff you see today. I was a deckhand so every retired regular wanted their old pos rods rewrapped. I thank my father for driving me down to bogans and up to Newark sinker to buy material. I still have my old jig which consisted of furniture wheels on wooden blocks and my flex coat drier along with some envirotex epoxy. It's a great hobby/art to get involved in. Teach these kids how to make a few bucks with the trade and they"ll like it even more. ;)
nickh

Started when I was fifteen. Before I was 20 probably made and rewrapped over 200 rods. Never got fancy. Did some nice diamonds, but never the stuff you see today. I was a deckhand so every retired regular wanted their old pos rods rewrapped. I thank my father for driving me down to bogans and up to Newark sinker to buy material. I still have my old jig which consisted of furniture wheels on wooden blocks and my flex coat drier along with some envirotex epoxy. It's a great hobby/art to get involved in. Teach these kids how to make a few bucks with the trade and they"ll like it even more. ;)
nickh

nickh

Postby missinglink08 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:26 pm

:D
missinglink08

Return to KIDS FISHING FORUM