Fishing Camp 2013- Session 2 Recap/Summary

Where many of us first started with our love of fishing. Here we share our experiences with future fishermen.

Fishing Camp 2013- Session 2 Recap/Summary

Postby crabcake » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:38 pm

It's hard for me to believe this, but after months of anticipation and planning, my summer job has come to an end :). As I write this, I can't help but smile as I am very happy with how everything went. I already posted the results for my first session, and I'm happy to report that session II went just as well (or maybe a little tiny bit better, lol). Here's a quick recap of how everything went:

Monday July 8th- Today was our "landlocked" day. We spent half of the day giving our "rules & regulations" seminar, with the second half spent visiting Causeway Bait and Tackle where Danny V. once again gave a stellar performance teaching my campers about our local baits, rigs, and basic fishing needs. A big thank you to Dan for his seminar and to Mike and all the others at Causeway who have always been extremely supportive of our program.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crabcake

Re: Fishing Camp 2013- Session 2 Recap/Summary

Postby crabcake » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:43 pm

Tuesday July 9th came and we headed back down to Freeport to fish aboard the Captain Jim III for our first charter of the session. We picked up where we left off during the first session by boating about a dozen quality keepers along with 40-50 short fluke. The sea robins were more active this trip and the majority of the students had a chance to feel a fish at the end of their line before we headed for the barn.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crabcake

Postby crabcake » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:50 pm

On Wednesday July 10th we took the ride out to fish with Capt. Marc D. and crew aboard the Celtic Quest II. It's funny how reports of "slow" fishing aren't always accurate, especially through the eyes of kids who just want to see a bend in their rods. While keeping was slow (only one that just taped out at 19"), the action was exactly what I look for in these trips. By the end of our trip we boated about 100 short fluke and at least that many sea robins. Again we were blessed by the fact that we just missed getting swamped by the thunderstorms that stayed just a few miles to our west :).
crabcake

Postby crabcake » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:06 pm

On Thursday July 11th we hopped aboard the Bay Princess at Captree and it turned out to be one of the best 1/2 day fluking trips that I have ever witnessed in my entire lifetime. On this trip we bagged 16 or 17 keepers up to #6+, but keep in mind that these are kids, the trips are only 3.5 hours long, and we released at least 125 fish that were over 17 inches. Had we been in NJ or MA, we could have filled coolers. With an enormous amount of sea robins and smaller fluke, we wound up with a low hook of 6, and high hooks in the mid-20's. This was a trip that the kids and I will always remember.
crabcake

Postby crabcake » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:08 pm

On Friday July 12 we took a break from fishing and took a canoe trip on the Nissy. As always the kids had a blast! Sorry no pictures, too much danger of getting my phone and camera wet.
crabcake

Postby crabcake » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:19 pm

On Monday July 15th we headed back down to Freeport to fish with Captain Pete. Again we were greeted with some quality fish in the bay, but the short action wasn't where it should be as we had 7 keeper fluke, 60 short fluke, and a bunch of sea robins to keep the kids busy. One thing that did change today was the fact that the fluke started to hit the bucktails with authority. Up until this trip, boat rigs were king. One of the "older kids" nailed 2 beauties and Emma (a legitimate sharpie who can hang tough with the best of them) had a #6.5 mini-mat on a chartreuse gulp swimming mullet. (no spearing)
Last edited by crabcake on Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
crabcake

Postby crabcake » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:38 pm

flukey's.jpg
yoos.jpg
On Tuesday July 16th it finally happened. For the first time in 3 weeks the roll on the ocean laid down enough to head outside with the kids and that's exactly what we did with Captain Joe aboard the Fantasy. Despite less than ideal drifting conditions (slow, very slow), we still managed over a dozen keepers. Again, one of the "older kids" scored big by bagging a limit of 19-21" fish in a little less than an hour's time using a light spinning rod and a one ounce bucktail. It's a shame that we couldn't stay longer as the bite improved drastically during the last hour, but we had a bus to catch. We also found more short life on the outside along with a few seabass.
Last edited by crabcake on Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crabcake

Postby crabcake » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:43 pm

On Wednesday the 17th we hit a local pond for some sunnies and small bass. I will attempt to attach a photo or two soon, but all of a sudden I can't upload some of my photos.
crabcake

Postby crabcake » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:50 pm

On Thursday the 18th, we had our "Parent Trip" where the kids bring an adult guest with them to spend the day on the water. Despite the inevitable tangles, the kids and adults landed over a dozen keepers, with many shorts, sea robins, and 3 stargazers returned while fishing near Jones Inlet.
crabcake

Postby crabcake » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:02 pm

Friday July 19th was our last day, one in which we were scheduled to finish up by going to our crab hot spot. However, when I saw my dashboard temperature at 8:30am, I had second thoughts and after meeting with the director of all of the LuHi programs and my own staff members, we finally had to bag one of our field trips. :( I thought this would have occurred earlier with all of the thunderstorms, but I never thought I'd lose a trip due to an excessive heat warning. However, the day did not go to waste. We had several indoor casting competitions, we spent time in the pool, computer lab, we had a junk food party, and I raffled off several hundred dollars worth of tackle, including several passes that the campers could use for future party boat trips. It was an amazing 4 weeks and now it's time for me to go on my summer break :). It's time for "Mr.T" (aka Crabcake)to go on some field trips for himself. Hopefully the results will include more pictures on the Voyager's "Southern Canyon Thread", more pictures on the wreck fishing forums, and who know's what else? You may even see a photo or two of a short but very handsome Greek man with a glacier in the background or aboard a blue and white supercruiser that used to sail from SHB. Only time will tell.
crabcake

Next

Return to KIDS FISHING FORUM