Fishing Camp 2013- Session 1 Recap/Summary

Where many of us first started with our love of fishing. Here we share our experiences with future fishermen.

Fishing Camp 2013- Session 1 Recap/Summary

Postby crabcake » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:35 pm

Just finished running my first two week session of the LuHi Fishing School and we definitely made some memories. June 24th was our first day, and after a safety orientation and incredible bait and tackle lesson given by Danny V from Causeway Bait and Tackle, we proceeded to spend the subsequent two weeks on the water, dodging many bullets from mother nature. Our first field trip was Tuesday June 25th aboard the Bay Princess out of Captree. I timed this trip to coincide with the top of the flood tide and my campers landed 50-60 fluke, including 7 keepers to #5. Compared to previous trips, the bite was a bit picky but all of the kids enjoyed their day with only one camper getting a "goose egg". Captain Brian, Katie Higgins, Cara Higgins, and Jimmy Higgins (see a trend here?) all did a fabulous job of taking care of my students.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crabcake

Re: Fishing Camp 2013- Session 1 Recap/Summary

Postby crabcake » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:42 pm

Wednesday June 26th brought us to Port Jefferson where we were able to spend our day with my favorite Husband/Wife fishing team, Captains James and Amanda. On this trip we had a lock and load experience with my group landing in excess of 200 fluke (including 3 keepers), 100 sea robins, and a few jumbo scup. For a kids outing this was perfect. Our high hooks were in the low to mid 20's and the crew of the Osprey did a fabulous job tending to our needs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crabcake

Postby crabcake » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:47 pm

June 27th is a day that will go in our camp's record books. Aside from catching more 100 fluke sea robins, and smooth dogfish, we landed another handful of impressive keepers, including a #8.3 beauty caught by Max who now holds our camp record for the largest fluke. Captain James Palladino of the Captain Jim III in Freeport put us on the meat, and the storms stayed away from us.
crabcake

Postby crabcake » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:52 pm

On Friday June 28th, we took a break from the charter boat action and focused our attention to my favorite "eating" species . Once again, we were not disappointed as we were treated to unexpected large sizes and impressive numbers. We were threatened by impending storms but once again, they held off.
crabcake

Postby crabcake » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:57 pm

On Saturday 6/29 I needed some rest. Hence, I slept until 10am, drove to Jersey to see the Kid Rock Show, but I also made a pit stop on my way despite more threats of thunderstorms.
crabcake

Postby crabcake » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:00 pm

On Monday 7/1, it rained. But did that stop us? Hell no! Another 100 fish boated including 7 keepers up to #6.5. A big thank you to Captain Pete and his hard working crew.
crabcake

Postby crabcake » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:05 pm

Long Island's freshwater opportunities cannot be overlooked. So on Tuesday we headed out to a local pond that is known for incredible action on sunnies. However, we did run into a couple of nice surprises. I have a picture of a nice largemouth bass landed by one of my campers, but it's on another camera.
crabcake

Postby crabcake » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:08 pm

Wednesday July 3rd marked our annual "Take your Parents" fishing trip aboard the Captain Jim. My batteries died before the end of our trip, but again we had several keepers up to #5.75 along with the usual assortment of fluke, sea robins, and sand sharks. We also had a camper land the largest stargazer that I have ever seen, it pushed the #10 mark. Unfortunately, my battery died an hour into the trip so I have no fish pictures.
crabcake

Postby crabcake » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:12 pm

While many people were off, I had to get my tail out of bed and work on July 4th. Fortunately for me, my work led me to the Fantasy III in Freeport where we once again got spoiled with several keepers up to 5 pounds. Captain Joe did a great job getting us some action despite a tough tide and boat traffic that reminded me of the LIE at 5pm.
crabcake

Postby crabcake » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:29 pm

Today we put the rods down, and for Friday July 5th we took a nice leisurely canoe and kayak trip down the Nissequogue River. I left the electronics in my car so they wouldn't get wet, and despite the heat, we had a great time that was topped off by a little ice cream party in the afternoon. Session 1 is in the books and Session 2 starts on Monday. If it goes half as good as session 1, my mission of treating youngsters to "fun on the water" will be accomplished. Over the past two weeks, I have spent all but one day on the water, and have made several observations:

1. Compared to last year, there appears to be fewer short fluke in our South Shore and NJ Bays. The action is there, but we saw a lot of 100 fish days as opposed to the 150-250 fish days that we saw last year and the year before.

2. There are more big fish in our bays compared to the last 2 years. Their numbers aren't astounding, but we had more fish over 4 pounds in the past 2 weeks than we had in the previous 5 years combined.

3. The majority of the fish we caught came on "old school" meat rigs. For example, last week 3 of my students had over 20 fish in Pt. Jeff, while I only had 4 on my bucktailing gear. This theme held true on the South Shore and in New Jersey when I went on my own trip on Saturday.

4. Kids are the best learners. If you take the time to teach them things properly, they will flourish. By Monday of this week, their behavior and understanding of charter boat etiquette is up there with some of the finest anglers I know. There was no running, no getting too close to the fillet table, no hooks and sinkers swinging, and no whining during slack tides and slower periods.:)
crabcake

Next

Return to KIDS FISHING FORUM