MAY 24, 2019 - A NY BIGHT INSIDER FISHING & MARITIME PICS STUFFED INTO THE EMAIL ROUND BIN: TIME TO PULL THEM OUT (THIS WILL BE CONTINUOUSLY UPDATED)

Say hello and introduce yourself to the FISHING UNITED community on this board.

Re: MAY 24, 2019 - A NY BIGHT INSIDER FISHING & MARITIME PICS STUFFED INTO THE EMAIL ROUND BIN: TIME TO PULL THEM OUT (THIS WILL BE CONTINUOUSLY UPDATED)

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:32 pm

Captain Jimmy of the JAMES JOSEPH with dinner before 8:45 this morning...

More boat work to do, but there is always a few spare moments to take a funny pic in the boatyard and a further explanation by the Southern Key West Commander:

Side by side. My classic 1986 Mako 171. Hence the name.

Boatyard work is moving at the speed of government. Waiting on the USCG to approve my plans for repairs. Soon as I get the ok it’s full speed to get this girl back in the water. Hopefully answers today...

It is getting to that time of the year on the KING COD for fishing mid-offshore wrecks. Before you know it, these critters will be much further offshore in just a few short weeks, but hopefully we will see a strong run of cod come this December.....

EC NEWELL MAN

Re: MAY 24, 2019 - A NY BIGHT INSIDER FISHING & MARITIME PICS STUFFED INTO THE EMAIL ROUND BIN: TIME TO PULL THEM OUT (THIS WILL BE CONTINUOUSLY UPDATED)

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:54 pm

As many here in the northeast are currently dealing with in the gusting and miserable rainy weather, with a little more to come.

Here is what you can do with a striped bass rack, add panko and Japanese Mayo. I was told it was out of this world....

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:06 pm

It is rare that you get to know two fishing legends on Long Island...the first, Captain Joe Masone who took this picture of Captain Richie Kessinger, and that looks like Richie's Newell Reel on a 'Kessinger' approved rod in the corner of the boat. I learned from both of these old timers who pioneered offshore wreck fishing out of Long Island......

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:23 pm

A picture (and I should of noted that it is obviously not from this season) of Perry-O taken by Keith K. with his favorite fish onboard the last aluminum super cruiser in Sheepshead Bay....

As Captain Jason Colby from LITTLE SISTER charters, Westport, MA., noted on the rest of the season coming, at least for him, to an end in roughly two weeks. The first image should give you a good sense why, plus the latest report from the captain:

Jessica made the front cover! And in case you missed it, I had a blackfish article in the October Glossy Edition of The Fisherman Magazine (all areas).

For the most part, the fishing in Westport has been producing limit catches of tog daily with some days having us send back easily twice as many keepers as we can keep because there are just so many! Some really big stuff as well with many in that "double digit category" (and a few cod in sight of shore too!)...

Speaking of yesterday (Thursday 10/28), it was nice out there and for awhile, the fish bit like our crabs were going to be their last meal. In fact, for the ones we kept it WAS their last meal!

For tomorrow, I'm am not scared of the cold, but I do have to face the music. 27 F to start (sez the forecast) but the fishing makes it compelling...For open boat openings there are all of two left for this year. One spot on each of the next two Thursdays for the 1st to claim them.

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:16 pm

Happy Halloween 2020, with a few keepers (I hope) being readied for the fillet and bag station. By the way, the striped bass fishing off the west end in the NY-NJ BIGHT is as good as you can ask for. This is the time of the year if you want to not only do C&R with trophy sized fish, but spend some time casting and cranking while chasing the birds.

Don't miss out, and remember that there is no C&R in the EEZ with the rock, refer to:

50 CFR § 697.7(b) - Prohibitions:

It is unlawful for any person to do any of the following:

(1) Fish for Atlantic striped bass in the EEZ.

With striped bass now on the fall seafood menu, the first image is the prep for steamed striped bass collar with Asian green. The racks can also be used, and the meat which is delicious is picked off the bone once it cools. My favorite at this point is to make a seafood salad, and don't forget the fresh lemon!

In the second image, and since we have Japanese mayo left over from the other day we again go with panko, adding a little spice to suit your taste such as in using some Adobo (instead of just salt and pepper) and then into the toaster over. This is the way you go about cooking up and enjoying tasty fresh seafood....

This was sent in this morning while driving on one of the Garden State speedways. Maybe it is just little old me, but I would find this distracting while driving for any amount of time on the highway....

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:51 pm

Before the weather turned this morning, Captain Kenny on the CAPTREE PRIDE said there was some blitz of bass this morning....

It's November and the tog fishing off of Cuttyhunk has a short period of time before it finally shuts down for the year. Captain Jason of LITTLE SISTER charters, Westport, MA., gives us this weekend report:

Saturday was CRAZY!

The first fish to come up was a nice cod, then the sea bass (all returned safe and sound) attacked. Then, after about 10 minutes, the tog "took over" and the bite was quite ferocious for about an hour and a half. I made a move as the wind died out and got on a deeper water boulder field at the start of the ebb tide. Within 10 minutes we were into the crazy bite again!

We released over 300 fish yesterday!

Many, many keepers went back as we sure didn't need them. Some real quality fish too with some "heart-breakers" broken off (Jim) to make us wonder for the rest of the winter: "how big was that"? Jon, Carlos, Gilbert, Dan, Jim and Silberio were non stop the whole trip. Carlos told me that he "needs more tog in his life," I wonder how he feels now???

"For the rest of 2020" there is ONE SPOT left open for 11/12 at 7am..

By the way, both of these fish are bulldog certified, with the second image behind held by a very big fishermen....

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:35 pm

It's never a good time of the year to be laid up, but maintenance has to be kept up. Even down at the Southern Command Center in Key West, the wind is honking, and yard work is not a bad way to spend the day when it's gusting to almost gale force winds. The YANKEE CAPTS will have a few more days on the hard before the Tortugas trip kicks off fishing in November......

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:21 pm

You do not realize how big the hull actually is until your working on it....

Captain Rob and the CAPTREE PRINCESS is back on the bass run after doing some work to the boat. By the way, that rockfish measured 49 inches long....

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:42 pm

Timmy 'The Terror' on a mid-range wreck trip for big biscuits and the winter king onboard the KING COD....

Eric K. with a nice rockfish on the CAPTREE PRINCESS today....

Captain Jimmy of the JAMES JOSEPH continues to have good fishing after the big blow which passed through a few days ago....

Captain Greg of the YANKEE CAPTS trying to finish the painting of the vessel over the next day. I spoke with the Commander at the Southern Command Center this morning and he was busy, busy, busy in trying to get the YANKEE CAPTS finished before an upcoming scheduled trip....

EC NEWELL MAN

Postby EC NEWELL MAN » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:45 pm

Night Ops in order to get the YANKEE CAPTS back in the water.....

Marc Fishark fished with Captain Phil at EASTMAN's dock and said the haddock fishing was some of the finest he has seen at this time of the year, but the pollock fishing sent everyone home with big bags of fillets.....

EC NEWELL MAN

PreviousNext

Return to MEMBERS WELCOME FORUM